Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 20, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #49,486 of 151,705
Some of my go-to evaluation albums. A couple are admittedly somewhat cliche audiophile recordings,
- Kind of Blue, Miles Davis, CBS Legacy - well recorded, spatial imaging
- Shostakovich Symphony #14, I Musici de Montreal, Chandos - a chamber symphony w/ soprano and bass vocalists, good overall test
- Taproot, Michael Hedges - acoustic guitar and other acoustic instruments (including a orchestral bass drum on a couple tracks), acoustic instrument tone, bass punch
- Propagation, Robert Rich - acoustic wind and percussion with electronic ambient music, dynamics and bass extension
- Cafe Blue, Patricia Barber - piano jazz group, but with a couple tracks of vocals with minimal accompaniment, female vocals, tricky percussion sounds (finger snaps)
- Shostakovich String Quartets, Emerson String Quartet, acoustic instrument tone

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #49,490 of 151,705
wrt link: hifiengine.com have schematics and service manual, it would appear those JRC4558 opamps are just for the "auto-on audio sense circuit". :thumbsup:
So cool– Thanks for checking that out! Nice straight forward schematic*-- all that extra stuff just for auto on. It is an interesting sounding amp now that's for sure, going to keep it that way (high-biased). ref: http://bit.ly/2P76EqY

*honestly didn't know those were floating around so didn't search hard yet, thought they were only on ebay for $$

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #49,491 of 151,705
Especially the song "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove." The bass guitar and percussion are so well recorded! When I play that for friends, they stop talking and just stare at the speakers.
Listening to that now, very nice indeed.

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #49,492 of 151,705
Especially the song "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove." The bass guitar and percussion are so well recorded! When I play that for friends, they stop talking and just stare at the speakers.
I usually go to The Wind That Shakes the Barley, Her voice is crystal clear and the vocal decay in the church is haunting.

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #49,497 of 151,705
Based on the fact that I have the worst luck in the world I may be in the market for a new TT. How close are we to SOL?
92.96 million miles, same as yesterday...

Aug 20, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #49,499 of 151,705
The new Audiolab gets very good reviews, slim but standard 43cm

Sure, but my first criteria was half width or smaller, followed by not wanting yet another 17" black box full of air. Sadly the Audiolab 6000 fails on every one of those criteria. It looks like just another generic CD player from whomever. I'm sure it works ok and all, but I don't want that in my house. Thanks anyway for the recommendation...

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #49,500 of 151,705
Some of these Ebay ads crack me up. $149 plus $15 - $20 in shipping and possible tax directly from Schiit, or spend an extra $50 beyond that and get it from some unknown entity on Ebay that may or may not offer any support or help if you need it (or even ship what's advertised). But it's free shipping, so there's always that. :relaxed:

upload_2019-8-20_21-15-26.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back