Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #47,312 of 150,484
Yep, Vali is fine with 600mA tubes. I'd start worrying with things like 6n6p (750ma).
6j5 and 7a4 pairs should be fine then as well. :smile_phones: Not that anyone would try it. 6j5 pairs.jpg

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #47,313 of 150,484
I prefer 2 Aegirs than the Rag 1. Ive yet to try 1 Aegir.

Do note that the Rag 1 as a speaker amp is very good already.

Very interesting. I am thinking about either upgrading from my Ragnarok 1 to the Ragnarok 2 or keeping the Ragnarok 1 and then adding two Aegirs with the balanced pre-outs of the Ragnarok 1. What are you using as a pre-amp for your Aegirs? Any perspective on which may be a better option? I know we both need to learn more about Ragnarok 2 once it is released. My speakers are Spatial M3 TM at 93 db and 10-12 ohms.

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #47,314 of 150,484
Most likely Monday. We're building up stock now.

Okayyyyyy, will wait four more days. :)

Good for me that my Allo DigiOne Signature arrived today. So I can start enjoying that one until monday. :L3000:

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #47,315 of 150,484
Shipping something that's not fully functional? Oh hell no.

That puts us in the middle of a whole bunch of people who will try ANY tube, then complain it doesn't work. Or their super-duper $8000 set they bought doesn't work as well as billed. Either way, we're in the middle. So yes, all tube products will always ship with tubes--tubes that we have tested, matched, and ensure work, so you have a fully functional and tested product.

Sorry, that's the way it will ALWAYS be.

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #47,316 of 150,484
I am pretty sure that has been asked and answered and as I recall the Vali 2 will handle the 600 milliamps compared to 365 to 400 ma for the 6922? My memory is not what it used to be so I may have those exact numbers wrong. Personally, I run nothing but 6sn7's in mine and have had no issues over the last three months and probably 80-100 different 6sn7's and their equivalents that I have tried. Since I do try so many different tubes in mine, if anything ever happened I would most likely trouble shoot it myself and just buy another if I could not repair it.

Oh and I do own a tube tester so all tubes are checked before I plug them in, unless I get them from a couple friends who tend to be more thorough than me. :smile_phones:
6j5 and 7a4 pairs should be fine then as well. :smile_phones: Not that anyone would try it.

ah ha, now we know the culprit :wink: (see spoiler)!

I spy more & beefier caps!

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 2.03.38 PM.png

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #47,318 of 150,484
ah ha, now we know the culprit :wink: (see spoiler)!

I spy more & beefier caps!

LOL, thinking back I am sure I bought my Vali at least a good month after that upgrade was made, whenever that happened to be.

Current is additive in parallel so two separate triode tubes with 300 ma heater current should equal one dual triode 6sn7 at 600 ma. The 6sn7 is essentially two 6j5's in one envelope and has to be shielded for crosstalk. It looks a little more radical than it really is, :smile_phones:. The farther you move them apart, the better the channel separation. :wink:

Jun 6, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #47,319 of 150,484
Oh, and by the way, the next SchiitrMeet has a theme:

SchiitrMeet 4: Preamp Thunderdome!
Friday, June 14, 6PM-10PM
22508 Market Street, Newhall CA 91321

People have been asking for a comparison of all 4 preamps side by side, so we'll do that at the next Schiitrmeet. I hope to see some of you there!

For those outside SoCal, I'll see if Denise can offer up the pres as a package for upcoming SchiitMeets.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 6, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #47,321 of 150,484
That setup is so crazy looking that I think you just violated the warranty on MY Vali 2.

LOL!
It gets crazier, there are military loktal versions of those tubes that are even older and a bit more obscure. Look through enough old tube manuals and you come across some interesting options. :smile_phones:

Jason will attest, I also did some work with the Coaster boards, Vali mini's are they not? I managed to mount one in an 8 ball even. I gave up on mounting one in a scotch bottle though, there are limits.

8 ball.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #47,322 of 150,484
LOL!
It gets crazier, there are military loktal versions of those tubes that are even older and a bit more obscure. Look through enough old tube manuals and you come across some interesting options. :smile_phones:

Jason will attest, I also did some work with the Coaster boards, Vali mini's are they not? I managed to mount one in an 8 ball even. I gave up on mounting one in a scotch bottle though, there are limits.

It's beautiful. If you ever plan to build it for others I would buy it stat.

Jun 6, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #47,323 of 150,484
Oh yeah, and per our own definition (which may not be your definition), all the preamps have "HT Bypass." From https://www.schiit.com/guides/choosing-amps-preamps :

Home Theater Integration, $0. Okay, all you "home theater bypass" guys. All of our preamps offer true home theater bypass. Just plug in your processor's front channels to any input, select Passive mode, and turn the volume all the way up. Presto! 1:1 home theater bypass, with only a relay in the signal path.

Understood if that doesn't work for you. Sorry, I still haven't figured out a great way to press a button and have this happen, without adding more inputs (which don't fit on Freya--balanced inputs are BIG). Honestly, I'd be more interested in a processor loop, now that I've figured out how to do a balanced EQ with Nexus. But that's the same problem--where the hell do you put the extra balanced I/O? Probably best to stick the EQ after the preamp, if you want one. The noise floor is low enough to do that.

All the best,
Jason

Works for me. The S versions eliminate the concerns I had completely. Cheers!

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #47,324 of 150,484
Trying the Freya + for the first time with favorite tubes. The volume pot is a definite improvement. It will take a lot of listening to form a complete opinion but so far it is well worth the wait.

Jun 6, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #47,325 of 150,484
Great brewery, I loved their Ghost Pepper beer from a few years ago. Right across the river from where I reside in Bangor. Do you live in Maine too?

Yup but down in Portland (right next to Crabapple Cove):smile:

How is your Freya S coming along, any more impressions that you can share with us?

Freya S is good. I needed a preamp/volume contol to feed a balanced source to my amp. I usually run it in passive or Nexus 1x. In both modes it is very clean, crisp and detailed. I am still looking forward to reading any info that is released about Nexus -maybe with Monday Rag 2 release if we’re lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back