1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. JohnnyCanuck
    OK with the tubes, I understand that. But I have my own power cord...

:)

JC

2. golfbravobravo

Stop shattering my illusions: my mum always told me I was unique :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  3. Paladin79
    Your tube choice is very similar to mine and I commend your choices!
    I certainly am "older" but for the majority of my audio career I had solid state, be it Pioneer, Dynaco, whatever. Tubes are more trouble but....you can change tubes and alter the sound a bit, till you tweak it to perfection. Now I do a lot of this anyway with different capacitors, resistors, and even wire with my DIY projects and that can be costly as well but when you are done, you have something tailored to your exact likes. Tubes are an easy way to bring about a slight change if you like their sound. Now as far as Schiit products I have owned the Valhalla 2, Lyr 2, Freya, Vali 2 and at least half a dozen Coaster amps that I have completed. I own solid state amps, dacs, phono stages, etc. but I do have preferences just like anyone on here. Tubes have many drawbacks, and can be expensive, but with a change of a tube, a Melz 1578 in a Vali 2 or a Lyr 2 and you just changed the sound for the better IMHO. Two of them in the old Freya was decent, in the Freya +, wow, just wow!

sam6550a likes this.
  4. Paladin79
    You ARE unique. Just like everybody else.:smile_phones:

5. Gazny
  6. Smithington
    Great clarification. And again without actually insinuating or stating that anyone is an idiot.

liamo and Rensek like this.
  7. RCBinTN
    One of my favorite words in the English language :)

Gazny likes this.
  8. Rensek
    Question related to this topic, I see Freya plus only comes with the better tung sols now. They command quite the price premium compared to the NOS ones you offered before.

Why did you stop offering the cheap ones standard? Seems like that could alleviate some of the "I don't want your fancy tubes, I want my own fancy tubes" situations being discussed here.

Did those older tubes come with a different set of problems?

9. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    So can I opt for the "standard" tubes but hand-rubbed and acclimated under your pillow for two nights?

10. Xcalibur255
    The black glass Ken Rad is pretty much the poster child for "tube sound" but sadly it's so darn hard to find ones that are not noisy that I've given up on them. I don't know what it is about Ken Rads but they all start crackling and rustling sooner or later.

earnmyturns and Paladin79 like this.
  11. Paladin79
    I have had good luck with those myself but I only have a couple.

I certainly do not mind getting the Tung Sols with the Freya, as I said earlier even if you do a tube swap, it is good to have a known good set of tubes in the event you run into issues. The Freya + comes with a nice clear warning about the tubes being keyed so hopefully that will alleviate some of the issues with tubes being improperly installed. :smile_phones:

12. Jason Stoddard
    The cheap ones were extremely hard to match, and many were noisy. We were spending too much time matching them. Hence, gone. Life's too short. (Though we did keep a whole box around for burn-in.)

Oh heck no, nobody is an idiot. Hell, I've used the wrong tubes in Freya and wondered What. I've inserted tubes wrong in a Freya and a Saga and a Lyr. I've broken off tube keys. Heck, I've totally missed the fact that the 6N8S tubes I was using in a prototype were actually 6N9S, and spent a day trying to figure out why the results were wonky. I also can't count the time I've wasted when I just tried some random tube in a new product, then discovered one side was bad/noisy/whatever.

Bottom line: if you want certainty, go solid state.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  13. Rensek
    Hey thanks.

Cheap doesn't cut it when it impacts the quality of the product you're putting out

RCBinTN likes this.
  14. golfbravobravo
    So not only does @Jason Stoddard tell me I'm one of a crowd, I think he is teasing us when he says 'No Specials".

If that is true, how does the guy in the video review cited this morning get this 'left-handed Freya'?????????

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 2.26.42 PM.png

15. Xcalibur255
    With all the investment that's starting to go into new tube production I'd like to see the industry make a big leap and introduce a new socket that modernizes things a bit and makes the keying idiot proof for consumers. I guess that's what loctal was supposed to do all those years ago, but if the world is going to manufacture this stuff again in volume (which some people are) then why not try to improve it?

Same thing with popular tubes like like the 6SN7. These tubes were a compromise between performance, cost, size and the technology limits of the day. If we were willing to break ties with the past a new series of tubes could undoubtedly have better performance for the same manufacturing cost. It wouldn't happen overnight but if the new designs really were better and some production scale were able to bring costs down to something reasonable people would start designing product to use it and the whole thing would snowball with time.

The only people I know of who have tried are Emission Labs with their 20 and 30 series "new" DHTs. These have far too limited an audience though.