1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Snowpuppy77
    Very interesting. I am thinking about either upgrading from my Ragnarok 1 to the Ragnarok 2 or keeping the Ragnarok 1 and then adding two Aegirs with the balanced pre-outs of the Ragnarok 1. What are you using as a pre-amp for your Aegirs? Any perspective on which may be a better option? I know we both need to learn more about Ragnarok 2 once it is released. My speakers are Spatial M3 TM at 93 db and 10-12 ohms.

IndieGradoFan likes this.
  2. bluebanshee76
    Okayyyyyy, will wait four more days. :)

Good for me that my Allo DigiOne Signature arrived today. So I can start enjoying that one until monday. :L3000:

3. Ripper2860

LarryMagoo and Rensek like this.
  4. Scott Kramer
    ah ha, now we know the culprit :wink: (see spoiler)!

I spy more & beefier caps!

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 2.03.38 PM.png

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  5. Zorlac
    Any Unison news? :)

CharlesC, Scott Kramer and mp29k like this.
  6. Paladin79
    LOL, thinking back I am sure I bought my Vali at least a good month after that upgrade was made, whenever that happened to be.

Current is additive in parallel so two separate triode tubes with 300 ma heater current should equal one dual triode 6sn7 at 600 ma. The 6sn7 is essentially two 6j5's in one envelope and has to be shielded for crosstalk. It looks a little more radical than it really is, :smile_phones:. The farther you move them apart, the better the channel separation. :wink:

7. Jason Stoddard
    Oh, and by the way, the next SchiitrMeet has a theme:

SchiitrMeet 4: Preamp Thunderdome!
    Friday, June 14, 6PM-10PM
    22508 Market Street, Newhall CA 91321

People have been asking for a comparison of all 4 preamps side by side, so we'll do that at the next Schiitrmeet. I hope to see some of you there!

For those outside SoCal, I'll see if Denise can offer up the pres as a package for upcoming SchiitMeets.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  8. Alex Martin
    That setup is so crazy looking that I think you just violated the warranty on MY Vali 2.

9. Paladin79
    LOL!
    It gets crazier, there are military loktal versions of those tubes that are even older and a bit more obscure. Look through enough old tube manuals and you come across some interesting options. :smile_phones:

Jason will attest, I also did some work with the Coaster boards, Vali mini's are they not? I managed to mount one in an 8 ball even. I gave up on mounting one in a scotch bottle though, there are limits.

8 ball.jpg

10. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    It's beautiful. If you ever plan to build it for others I would buy it stat.

RCBinTN likes this.
  11. saddleup
    Works for me. The S versions eliminate the concerns I had completely. Cheers!

thebmc likes this.
  12. Paladin79
    Trying the Freya + for the first time with favorite tubes. The volume pot is a definite improvement. It will take a lot of listening to form a complete opinion but so far it is well worth the wait.

13. Zer0.p0int.Zer0
    Yup but down in Portland (right next to Crabapple Cove):smile:

Freya S is good. I needed a preamp/volume contol to feed a balanced source to my amp. I usually run it in passive or Nexus 1x. In both modes it is very clean, crisp and detailed. I am still looking forward to reading any info that is released about Nexus -maybe with Monday Rag 2 release if we’re lucky.

W S L and 33na3rd like this.
  14. Ripper2860
    I heard a rumor that the next Thunderdome will pit Coaster + against Coaster S and Vali + against Vali S. Don't hold me to that, but my inside source says it could happen. Keep it on the down-low and you didn't hear it from me. :wink:

15. IndieGradoFan
    Would love to hear what you decide. I've been debating something similar for LS50s. Leaning towards Rag 2 for simplicity reasons. Maybe even with a phono card to avoid external phono stage with Sol.

Ripper2860 likes this.