Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #47,296 of 149,306
All of the arguments on this topic are valid.

In regards to freya + with or without tubes. I would think this would be the easiest to accomplish. The four tubes are packaged in a small box that fits inside the larger Freya shipping box right?

They already have options for stock nos, new tung sols right? Just add an option for no tubes. The shipping/packing process would remain relatively unchanged, right?
Add a pop up or some other kind of acknowledgement that it needs tubes to run or something. Blamo. Done.

On the other hand, while it would be nice I wouldn't expect it. Jason sees all these posts. Silence is basically a No from him.

Theres always ebay if you don't want them. Matched quads generally sell for a premium over matched pairs or unmatched singles.

Edit- I see Freya + has no options at all for tubes. The old Freya had options. New Tung Sol standard. All yall that don't like it appear sunk. eBay is your friend.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #47,297 of 149,306
All of the arguments on this topic are valid.

In regards to freya + with or without tubes. I would think this would be the easiest to accomplish. The four tubes are packaged in a small box that fits inside the larger Freya shipping box right?

They already have options for stock nos, new tung sols right? Just add an option for no tubes. The shipping/packing process would remain relatively unchanged, right?
Add a pop up or some other kind of acknowledgement that it needs tubes to run or something. Blamo. Done.

On the other hand, while it would be nice I wouldn't expect it. Jason sees all these posts. Silence is basically a No from him.

Theres always ebay if you don't want them. Matched quads generally sell for a premium over matched pairs or unmatched singles.

Edit- I see Freya + has no options at all for tubes. The old Freya had options. New Tung Sol standard. All yall that don't like it appear sunk. eBay is your friend.

Shipping something that's not fully functional? Oh hell no.

That puts us in the middle of a whole bunch of people who will try ANY tube, then complain it doesn't work. Or their super-duper $8000 set they bought doesn't work as well as billed. Either way, we're in the middle. So yes, all tube products will always ship with tubes--tubes that we have tested, matched, and ensure work, so you have a fully functional and tested product.

Sorry, that's the way it will ALWAYS be.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #47,298 of 149,306

That puts us in the middle of a whole bunch of people who will try ANY tube, then complain it doesn't work. Or their super-duper $8000 set they bought doesn't work as well as billed. Either way, we're in the middle. So yes, all tube products will always ship with tubes--tubes that we have tested, matched, and ensure work, so you have a fully functional and tested product.

The Tung Sols are my choice for newly manufactured 6sn7's anyway, plus even if one does swap tubes down the road, it is good to have a baseline to which to compare other tube options.

Jun 6, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #47,300 of 149,306
I am pretty sure that has been asked and answered and as I recall the Vali 2 will handle the 600 milliamps compared to 365 to 400 ma for the 6922? My memory is not what it used to be so I may have those exact numbers wrong. Personally, I run nothing but 6sn7's in mine and have had no issues over the last three months and probably 80-100 different 6sn7's and their equivalents that I have tried. Since I do try so many different tubes in mine, if anything ever happened I would most likely trouble shoot it myself and just buy another if I could not repair it.

Oh and I do own a tube tester so all tubes are checked before I plug them in, unless I get them from a couple friends who tend to be more thorough than me. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #47,302 of 149,306

I and others had only looked at it from a commercial point of view, but this (the responsibility of the manufacturer that what he ships actually works) is a much stronger point of course.

Jun 6, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #47,303 of 149,306
I am pretty sure that has been asked and answered and as I recall the Vali 2 will handle the 600 milliamps compared to 365 to 400 ma for the 6922? My memory is not what it used to be so I may have those exact numbers wrong. Personally, I run nothing but 6sn7's in mine and have had no issues over the last three months and probably 80-100 different 6sn7's and their equivalents that I have tried. Since I do try so many different tubes in mine, if anything ever happened I would most likely trouble shoot it myself and just buy another if I could not repair it.

Oh and I do own a tube tester so all tubes are checked before I plug them in, unless I get them from a couple friends who tend to be more thorough than me. :smile_phones:

Yep, Vali is fine with 600mA tubes. I'd start worrying with things like 6n6p (750ma).

Jun 6, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #47,304 of 149,306

Jun 6, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #47,305 of 149,306
I'm sure this is covered in one of the 182 pages of the thread you linked, but I hope you don't mind if I ask you here: are there any long term concerns with using the higher current draw of the 6SN7 on the Vali2?

I am pretty sure that has been asked and answered and as I recall the Vali 2 will handle the 600 milliamps compared to 365 to 400 ma for the 6922? My memory is not what it used to be so I may have those exact numbers wrong. Personally, I run nothing but 6sn7's in mine and have had no issues over the last three months and probably 80-100 different 6sn7's and their equivalents that I have tried.....{{{snip}}}.....
I'd trust Paladin79's opinion, @QueYo . Your 6SN7 shouldn't cause issues on the Vali2 even after long term (5 years?). I'd feel more comfortable rolling tubes on the Vali, rather than my toy -- Valhalla 2. Anyway, my 2 cents.

{{{late edit... looks like JS weighed into the conversation... yeah... I leave my Valhalla's tubes alone.... might sneak some socket savers into it... 0% needed... I just like the look... my quirk. :ksc75smile: }}}}.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #47,306 of 149,306
Is there anyone out there that has compared an Aegir to the original Ragnarok in terms of SQ?

With the original Ragnarok on it's way out, I was wondering if @Jason Stoddard has ever considered making a stereo only Poweramp out of the original ragnarok. Just an on/off switch and the output stage that got Ragnarok such rave reviews.

Maybe Aegir is its equal.

It was a random thought I had for those of us with Schiit preamps.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #47,307 of 149,306
Is there anyone out there that has compared an Aegir to the original Ragnarok in terms of SQ?

With the original Ragnarok on it's way out, I was wondering if @Jason Stoddard has ever considered making a stereo only Poweramp out of the original ragnarok. Just an on/off switch and the output stage that got Ragnarok such rave reviews.

Maybe Aegir is its equal.

It was a random thought I had for those of us with Schiit preamps.

I had the Ragnarok before and now Aegir monoblocs. My speakers are the Kef r300 88db.

I felt the Rag 1 was having a hard time pushing the speakers but with the Aegirs the sound is so much better. Fuller and has more body.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #47,308 of 149,306
I had the Ragnarok before and now Aegir monoblocs. My speakers are the Kef r300 88db.

I felt the Rag 1 was having a hard time pushing the speakers but with the Aegirs the sound is so much better. Fuller and has more body.

Problems pushing at lower or higher volumes? You prefer Aegir at all volumes or just when playing loudly?

Thanks for the insight.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #47,309 of 149,306
Problems pushing at lower or higher volumes? You prefer Aegir at all volumes or just when playing loudly?

Thanks for the insight.

I prefer 2 Aegirs than the Rag 1. Ive yet to try 1 Aegir.

Do note that the Rag 1 as a speaker amp is very good already.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #47,310 of 149,306
I wouldn't use a single Aegir on R300's. A Vidar is powerful enough, but not overkill by any means (I'm around 12:00 volume on Saga for normal listening).

Dual Aegirs, though... that's got me salivating.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back