Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 3, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #47,221 of 150,446
I have a question regarding the Saga: What is considered to be a "long cable?"

From the Saga description: "Go ahead. Run Saga S in passive mode for a convenient remote-controlled passive preamp that’s ideal for many systems. If you need to drive long cables, switch it to the discrete, DC-coupled JFET buffer mode."

I need to use a 10 foot cable from the Saga S to my power amp. By Schiit's definition, Is that a long cable?

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #47,222 of 150,446

From the Saga description: "Go ahead. Run Saga S in passive mode for a convenient remote-controlled passive preamp that’s ideal for many systems. If you need to drive long cables, switch it to the discrete, DC-coupled JFET buffer mode."

I need to use a 10 foot cable from the Saga S to my power amp. By Schiit's definition, Is that a long cable?
10 feet? No. 10 meters? Yes.

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #47,224 of 150,446

Which sounds better to you? If you don't hear any difference between the two modes then use whichever mode you like. If the bass sounds a little thin in passive mode but improves in buffered mode then use that mode.

JC

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #47,225 of 150,446
Yes the Mani is cheaper and more flexible and I currently own one and use it for the Ragnarok. Plan to upgrade to the Ragnarok 2 and put the Mani into another system. Rather than get a second Mani I may just get the phono module for Ragnarok 2. I do not plan to use MC cartridge so do not need that functionality on the Mani. I have a hunch that the phono module may sound better than the Mani with a MM cartridge for two reason. One is that there is no need for an extra interconnect and the extra contacts. The other is the noise level. The wal wart power supply that comes with the Mani is not very good and the noise level of the Mani seems high to me. Perhaps using the internal power supply of the Ragnarok 2 would be better in terms of noise.

Which is why I am wondering if any one has compared the Schiit Mani with the Schiit phono module.

Hi @Snowpuppy77 I have the same doubt, If the Phono Module sound better, then a Schiit preamp with it would be perfect for me :)
If you get it, let me know your opinion about Mani vs Phono module!

Thanks

Pedro Janeiro asked:
"Anyone here knows if the Jotunheim is as good as pre amp, compared to dedicated schiit pre amps?"

From a Darko review of the Saga Classic and the Vidar (https://darko.audio/2017/11/schiit-vidarsaga-an-affordable-care-act-for-loudspeakers/):
"in delivering more of a polished windowed vibe to take the listener further inside Tom Waits’ Mule Variations, the Saga aces the Jotunheim as Vidar partner. No contest."

I had been using a Magni 3 as a preamp for the past 8 months until the Saga S arrived on Thursday. The Saga S is definitely superior with a greater soundstage and better imaging.

Hi @Seret

thanks you for your reply, will read that later.
So you really enjoy Saga S? im thinking about it + Mani right now, or i should wait for a Freya S/P ? :smile_cat:

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #47,226 of 150,446
Hi @Snowpuppy77 I have the same doubt, If the Phono Module sound better, then a Schiit preamp with it would be perfect for me :)
If you get it, let me know your opinion about Mani vs Phono module!

Thanks

Hi @Seret

thanks you for your reply, will read that later.
So you really enjoy Saga S? im thinking about it + Mani right now, or i should wait for a Freya S/P ? :smile_cat:

It will be about two months before I get the Ragnarok 2 if I get it at all. I actually love my Ragnarok 1 and would only get the Ragnarok 2 because I can and it may be better in terms of tone and timbre. If I get the Ragnarok 2 I may get the phono module anyway and then a (hopefully) better phono pre than the Mani like the Sutherland KC Vibe or a higher end Schiit release (can always hope). I think it would make my Ragnarok 2 more flexible for future applications by having a phono stage built in even if I do not use it at first. Especially if the build in phono stage is the equivalent of the Mani but just less settings and only MM. I got my first Hi Fi system in the mid 80's and all the integrated amps and preamps had phono stages built in and well executed with vinyl being a primary source. The NAD preamp I bought in the 80's had an excellent phono stage. The NAD preamp I bought around 2000 had a crappy phono stage that is terrible compared to the Mani. So that said many preamps and integrated amps on the market today do not have good phono stages and I have read several reports that the Mani is better than internal phono stages which is not surprising. I am thinking that the Schiit Phono Module could be an exception to this rule just because Schiit just consistently gets it right. I would personally not let the lack on internal phono stage keep me from getting one of the new Schiit preamps. Worth paying the extra money on the Mani and the extra interconnect. Mani is truly delivers the vinyl goods and is great for the money.

I do see how it would be neat if one of their preamps allowed for modules like the phono or multibit. But there may have been space issues.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #47,227 of 150,446
It will be about two months before I get the Ragnarok 2 if I get it at all. I actually love my Ragnarok 1 and would only get the Ragnarok 2 because I can and it may be better in terms of tone and timbre. If I get the Ragnarok 2 I may get the phono module anyway and then a (hopefully) better phono pre than the Mani like the Sutherland KC Vibe or a higher end Schiit release (can always hope). I think it would make my Ragnarok 2 more flexible for future applications by having a phono stage built in even if I do not use it at first. Especially if the build in phono stage is the equivalent of the Mani but just less settings and only MM. I got my first Hi Fi system in the mid 80's and all the integrated amps and preamps had phono stages built in and well executed with vinyl being a primary source. The NAD preamp I bought in the 80's had an excellent phono stage. The NAD preamp I bought around 2000 had a crappy phono stage that is terrible compared to the Mani. So that said many preamps and integrated amps on the market today do not have good phono stages and I have read several reports that the Mani is better than internal phono stages which is not surprising. I am thinking that the Schiit Phono Module could be an exception to this rule just because Schiit just consistently gets it right. I would personally not let the lack on internal phono stage keep me from getting one of the new Schiit preamps. Worth paying the extra money on the Mani and the extra interconnect. Mani is truly delivers the vinyl goods and is great for the money.

I do see how it would be neat if one of their preamps allowed for modules like the phono or multibit. But there may have been space issues.

Hi, thanks again for all that info.
Well initially i was thinking to buy the Rega P3 turntable, but then i changed idea, so im waiting for "Sol".
So i only will buy the Pre amp + Module (separated or not) after Sol release, so who knows if by then Schiit won't add something new to this Thunderdome.
If you get the Rag 2 with Phono, tell me what you think compared to Mani, cause looks like i still have some time to make choices.

Thanks

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #47,229 of 150,446
The Saga S is an excellent preamp! As @Mumbles06 positively posted earlier, it sounds amazing. I was listening to acoustic jazz, and the cymbals, the snare drum, and the upright bass sounded clearer than I ever heard. The harmonics of the upright bass seem to extend with greater detail. The soundstage and the imaging are much more 3D than I ever heard with my current system (NAD CD player, Schiit Modi Multibit, Parasound amp, and NHT Evolution speakers). And there is not a cold or brittle or bright sound to the Saga S, unlike some solid state preamps that sell for up to $1,000. It is precise and rich sounding. (Sorry, I don't do flowery-speak.)
My favorite preamp previously was a McCormack passive that sold for $600 in the early 1990s. The Saga S is even better sounding plus it is an active/passive preamp.
I want to mention that I almost bought the Saga "Classic" many times, but I have not enjoyed my experiences with tube preamps. (I am always expecting the tube to slowly change the sound as it ages. It is my own mental condition, I realize.). Also, users had posted that they could hear the Saga's potentiometer click while listening to music. The pot on the Saga S can only be heard when no music is playing!
The Saga S is an absolute bargain in my opinion.

Thanks to @Ableza and @JohnnyCanuck for the answer to my cable question.

And @Pedro Janeiro -- I would not wait for a Freya with an internal phono board. You can buy the Saga S and a Mani NOW, so why wait for something that may never be made?

Jun 3, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #47,231 of 150,446
I'm ready! :L3000: Take my money!

Yep, same here. Eagerly waiting to „finish“ the rework of my headphone setup. Perhaps a pair of LS50s might follow but first Rag2, then mancave and speakers.

Jun 3, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #47,232 of 150,446
Great brewery, I loved their Ghost Pepper beer from a few years ago. Right across the river from where I reside in Bangor. Do you live in Maine too?

Crabapple Cove, in my mind, after hearing Hawkeye describe it so elegantly :)

Jun 3, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #47,235 of 150,446
@Seret Before Moon (Mani) y need Sun (Sol) :D
Untill then i can wait and see what happen,and then maybe yeah probably will order Saga S, Mani and Vidar / Aegir. Or maybe just Rag 2 lets see.
Thanks for sharing your experience with it.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back