1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. JohnnyCanuck
    It gets a little more complicated when you're talking about switching a couple of hundred volts

JC

thebmc and judson_w like this.
  2. Robert Padgett

You cannot please all of the people all of the time. The two devices are different form factors (size) and that may be the reason--just not enough electronic real estate--which is why it is not an easy implementation. It is also my understanding that thermal cycling tubes are detrimental to their long-life--but I don't understand the reason why turning on and off would be worse than just leaving it on.

3. purehifi192
    Ditto. +1 for this option

4. dieslemat
    Another option would be to sell the tubes that came with the Freya +.

5. audionics
    Actually is does not: Most relays are suitable for 230V AC anyway.
    We switch that voltage all the time in Europe.
    The Saga+ has 200V DC anode voltage.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  6. audionics
    Because many vintage tubes are almost priceless as the cannot be replaced easily.
    Leaving them on for 5000h and they are gone. At least they are not crisp anymore.
    As the Saga+ is meant to stay on that would mean in 7 months.
    If the Saga+ is not left on maybe a year.
    Burning off a rare $300 vintage tube within a year for nothing is a rediculous thing to do.
    Power cycling a tube a few times a day is not that bad for a tube.10 cycles a day are taken into account in the specs anyway.

The space argument I also do not understand.
    It is really one NE555 monostable oscillator with a capacitor and one or two resistors triggered by the passive led power supply and a dual contact relay. One for the filament and one for the anode voltage.
    You can even put the relay parallel to the relay switching the passive mode 'on'
    One relay more should fit.

In the Freya+ the primary of the tube power supply transformer can be swithed as it does have a separate power transformer for the tube voltages.Not sure is it is done this way. Maybe that was the argument not to do it in the Saga+. But as it has just one tube the DC voltages of the tube could be swiched just as well.

7. Porteroso
    If you are going for great sound, out of the very best NOS tubes, I think schiit is a poor choice in the first place. It might be incredible, who knows, but there are some really great specialized tube amp builders out there, and I can't imagine schiit does it any better. I'm sure they do it great though.

About the tubes, if there is no reasonable on/off, it doesn't make sense to put nice tubes in, so really it doesn't make sense to buy it, IMO. Which is fine! This is their thunderdome, and they are seeing what people want, or don't want. Anything that burns through nice tubes is a firm no from me.

Still waiting on the Sol... Last news was great news.

8. EELawson
    Yup. If you were going for great sound out of the best NOS tubes, you wouldn't be considering the less expensive preamp in any company's line in the first place.

9. jnorris
    Does Schiit recommend the Saga+ be left on all the time? For the original Saga, the manual specifically says, as does a technician that replied to this question in an email that turning the unit off between sessions will improve tube life. From the manual...

Can I leave Saga on all the time?
    You can, but it’ll dramatically shorten the tube
    lifespan.

10. belgiangenius
    So I ordered the Freya + and just asked in the notes section if they could hold the tubes and reduce the price by the value of the tubes. I figured it was worth asking. The surprising thing is, the Freya arrived Monday with tubes and I was billed the full amount, as expected. But I never received any response or acknowledgement whatsoever to the question. That's rather weird customer service.

Anyway, I have been listening to Freya + for a couple of days and it is quite awesome. It is definitely quieter and seems generally better sounding. It doesn't put my Yamaha B2 into protection on startup like the original Freya does. And it is so nice to watch television at night with it in buffer mode and not see $400 worth the tubes needlessly burning up.

The one thing I observe is that it now behaves like most gear with motorized POTS in that one push of the remote volume causes it to jump 3-4 levels. Is it no longer possible to adjust the volume one graduation at a time using the remote?

Alcophone likes this.
  11. audionics
    I guess the digital value for the relay volume control is now derived from the potmeter and volume is operated and controlled via this potmeter.
    So yes that way it will jump serveral digital steps when moved.

12. audionics
    That may not be entirely true.

Schiit has a good reputation and the Saga+ has the least amount of components in the signal path.
    With remote control it is a unique product.

For me the Freya+ with 4 tubes with 8 triodes in the signal path is waaay too much as the weakest link in this chain makes the sound quality.
    As I like to try and use vintage tubes, if any, in the preamp this is an impossible situation as vintage tubes differ in transconductance, Ia, noise etc.
    My best use of any preamp might even be in passive mode.

For audiophiles that love tubes the Saga+ is the better Schiit option.

13. Derrick Swart
    Why is that weird? You got what you paid/ordered for?

14. audionics
    Normally Shiit answers questions within a few hours. So not getting an answer is an exception.

15. audionics
    Any listening impressions of the Saga+ would be welcome.

mp29k likes this.