Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 8, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #45,691 of 149,322
Isn't it the only way of looking at it, until people actually start receiving the product? Because nobody knows how it sounds with different equipment? And didn't his post start with "this is a very basic breakdown," was it just not a complex enough basic breakdown you are saying?
I just don’t think there is any benefit or value in recommending an amp no one has heard based solely on speaker efficiency.

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #45,692 of 149,322
Reason 731,348,609,354 Dogs are better than cats...
Cats_Better_than_Dogs.jpg
Grey-Cat-and-Orange-Cat.jpg

87E6BEE5-D6BE-4C97-8EC4-6902E60C0ABF.jpg

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #45,693 of 149,322
I have known dogs who just love cats… :ksc75smile:

Like the farside cartoon sez…

catchaser?.jpg

JJ

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #45,694 of 149,322
But can you imagine the shear amount of dog food that they must be fed, everyday.
The food bills must be enormous.

Yeah, you'd think so. But it's not that bad.
The bigger hounds (and for sure Wolfhounds) are generally quite lazy and would rather lie around the house than exercise. So once they have stopped growing the food bill drops away quite a lot.
Of course if they are working or exercising hard everyday, YMMV

Apr 8, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #45,698 of 149,322
I just don’t think there is any benefit or value in recommending an amp no one has heard based solely on speaker efficiency.
I don't think the amp deserves a recommendation either, until it is tried tested and proven, but look around, people have been recommending it since it was announced. Efficiency is about the only guideline we have, so for now, what you quoted is the best, and only, set of guidelines.

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #45,699 of 149,322
If you are designing a live sound installation (or cinema or theater - basically any application where dbSPL across a large soundfield is key) then amplifier power and loudspeaker sensitivity and efficiency (two related but different ratings) are critical to understand. In a home listening setup, not so much. I've driven 85db sensitivity loudspeakers with 8-watt amps. It isn't a key consideration at all, actually.

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #45,700 of 149,322
On Onsanity

On a meta-level, or reading between the lines of Jason’s post, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that Aegir and other Schiit gear solve the problem of upgrading. Angst relieved.

Because once I own a (Schiit) product that does all, or most of the important things right, I don’t have to upgrade/sidegrade anymore. And should I feel the need to upgrade/sidegrade after a while, Schiit will be there for me, with a Schiit upgrade for just my product. No need to go to another manufacturer and spend money there. Brilliant reverse psychology, nicely done.

This is one man's reading of Jason's post. I am in no way implying any trickery or malicious intent and am fully aware that I could be the only person who reads this meaning of Onsanity into it. So just food for thought/discussion. I really like Schiit as a company, its founders, and last but not least Schiit’s products. I admire cleverness.

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #45,701 of 149,322
On Onsanity

On a meta-level, or reading between the lines of Jason’s post, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that Aegir and other Schiit gear solve the problem of upgrading. Angst relieved.

Because once I own a (Schiit) product that does all, or most of the important things right, I don’t have to upgrade/sidegrade anymore. And should I feel the need to upgrade/sidegrade after a while, Schiit will be there for me, with a Schiit upgrade for just my product. No need to go to another manufacturer and spend money there. Brilliant reverse psychology, nicely done.

This is one man's reading of Jason's post. I am in no way implying any trickery or malicious intent and am fully aware that I could be the only person who reads this meaning of Onsanity into it. So just food for thought/discussion. I really like Schiit as a company, its founders, and last but not least Schiit’s products. I admire cleverness.
Clever is the word! And honesty. No BS is a relief.

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #45,702 of 149,322
That’s a simplistic way of looking at it. Sensitivity is only one factor in amp and Transducer pairing. Depending on how the crossover works, and how wide a range of ohms the transducer makes at different frequencies, even a high efficient design can be hard to drive. Alternatively, a speaker that is a stable 4 or 8 ohms but 88-90 sensitive may end up being a fairly easy load. Physics can be calculated, but there’s so much more at play than just sensitivity and ohms law.

Respectfully, yes it is a simple way to look at it. That was the point, a simple way to look at for people who are "new to 2 channel".

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #45,703 of 149,322
On Onsanity

The one side effect of buying Schiit gear is the tendency to then buy more Schiit gear for other systems. Some of which did not exist until you bought more Schiit gear. You'll end up spending as much money with them as you might with an "audio jewelry" company, only you'll have more boxes scattered about your living and work spaces.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #45,704 of 149,322

The problem being that everyone has different hearing preferences, rooms, room decorations, treatment and other gear. It makes no matter what anyone else says until you get the gear in your room, with your ears and your system. Then you either will like it or not.

If you like the gear that Schiit makes all you can do is take an eductaed guess no matter what else anyone says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back