Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 7, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #45,676 of 149,117
What is an "impedance jack"?

It's the thing you use to jack up your impedance to change a flat.

*crickets*

I'll show myself out...

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #45,678 of 149,117
I saw this breakdown on another website and liked it:

Here's a very basic guide for those new to 2 channel and wanting a Schiit 2 channel system:

If your speakers are 97db/w efficient and above your best bet is probably Saga and Aegir.
If you have speakers between 88 and 97 db/w efficient consider either Freya + Aegir or Saga + Vidar. There's pluses and minuses either way.
For 85-88db/w you're going to want Freya and Vidar or Freya + 2 Aegirs.
Lower than than 85 db/w you'll most likely be happiest with Freya + Vidar and possibly 2 Vidars.

All this assuming you want separates. If you want convenience then Rag 2 although its not released so its impossible to co pare Rag 2 vs any of the above.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #45,680 of 149,117
Re: Sunday, April 7th. Magni3's out of stock?! That's good schiit. @Baldr .... @SchiitFerBrainz ... @Jason Stoddard ... Congratulations on such awesome, by the trailer-load sales. :)

EDIT = Never mind: your site updated itself. Please disregard (my chicken little impression).

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #45,681 of 149,117
I saw this breakdown on another website and liked it:

Here's a very basic guide for those new to 2 channel and wanting a Schiit 2 channel system:

If your speakers are 97db/w efficient and above your best bet is probably Saga and Aegir.
If you have speakers between 88 and 97 db/w efficient consider either Freya + Aegir or Saga + Vidar. There's pluses and minuses either way.
For 85-88db/w you're going to want Freya and Vidar or Freya + 2 Aegirs.
Lower than than 85 db/w you'll most likely be happiest with Freya + Vidar and possibly 2 Vidars.

All this assuming you want separates. If you want convenience then Rag 2 although its not released so its impossible to co pare Rag 2 vs any of the above.
That’s a simplistic way of looking at it. Sensitivity is only one factor in amp and Transducer pairing. Depending on how the crossover works, and how wide a range of ohms the transducer makes at different frequencies, even a high efficient design can be hard to drive. Alternatively, a speaker that is a stable 4 or 8 ohms but 88-90 sensitive may end up being a fairly easy load. Physics can be calculated, but there’s so much more at play than just sensitivity and ohms law.

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #45,682 of 149,117
Reason 731,348,609,354 Dogs are better than cats...
Saw an article today about how dog owners are happier than cat owners. Not necessarily happier than non-pet owners. Dogs FTW!

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #45,683 of 149,117
It's the thing you use to jack up your impedance to change a flat.

*crickets*

I'll show myself out...

zGHQb4O.gif

:D

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #45,685 of 149,117
Reason 731,348,609,354 Dogs are better than cats...
Well, that is unless you have BIG dog(s) with the 'Table Clearing Tail Action' (TCTA), which is similar to the 'Kung Fu Grip' of action figure fame.
Just call their name and the tail goes into immediate action and NOTHING in the radius and range of throw of the 'Tail Sweep', stands a chance of NOT hitting the floor.

After a while you learn how to lunge, with precision, hopefully in time to intercept whatever is being flung across the room…
And lest you think it's just smaller objects…
Remember those old dial phones made of Bakelite that were HEAVY?
Or the phone books, the combined white AND yellow pages, like 3-4" thick?
Or one of those big hurk'n 7x7" all glass ashtrays?

Yeah, well, they were all heading to the floor, and sometimes the smaller objects were headed across the room.

Just image having a turntable setup, with TCTA ANYWHERE in the vicinity?

AND the cat LOVES the amp and ALL the stacks of warm, clean, clothes, which can become fur accumulations and 'distribution centers' for vinyl and air vent holes etc.

Yeah critters can 'complicate' our audio pursuits, that's for sure.

And it is to note that I have a 2nd gen prototype tube amp, like upside down, to have easy access to the circuit,
with 2 large dogs.

After a while you learn how to 'work around' obstacles of all sorts and kinds. :ksc75smile:

JJ

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #45,686 of 149,117
Well, that is unless you have BIG dog(s) with the 'Table Clearing Tail Action' (TCTA), which is similar to the 'Kung Fu Grip' of action figure fame.
Just call their name and the tail goes into immediate action and NOTHING in the radius and range of throw of the 'Tail Sweep', stands a chance of NOT hitting the floor.

I am very familiar with the TCTA having had the pleasure of the company of an Irish Wolfhound for many years.
She also had the Kitchen Vacuum Action (KVA) ... as she could safely rest her face on the kitchen bench vacuuming any nearby food clean up, while feet remained firmly on the floor!

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #45,687 of 149,117
I saw a picture of a truly HUGE Great Dane (I think) with it's front paws on top of the refridgerator-freezer,
looking down upon what was up there.

IOW, NOTHING in the entire house was out of reach and with a nose to match nothing was safe…

Oh the horror…:ksc75smile:

JJ

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #45,688 of 149,117
That’s a simplistic way of looking at it. Sensitivity is only one factor in amp and Transducer pairing. Depending on how the crossover works, and how wide a range of ohms the transducer makes at different frequencies, even a high efficient design can be hard to drive. Alternatively, a speaker that is a stable 4 or 8 ohms but 88-90 sensitive may end up being a fairly easy load. Physics can be calculated, but there’s so much more at play than just sensitivity and ohms law.
Isn't it the only way of looking at it, until people actually start receiving the product? Because nobody knows how it sounds with different equipment? And didn't his post start with "this is a very basic breakdown," was it just not a complex enough basic breakdown you are saying?

Apr 8, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #45,689 of 149,117
I saw a picture of a truly HUGE Great Dane (I think) with it's front paws on top of the refridgerator-freezer,
looking down upon what was up there.

IOW, NOTHING in the entire house was out of reach and with a nose to match nothing was safe…

Oh the horror…:ksc75smile:

JJ

I've seen that. Danes are big too, very tall/long ... but so gentle

Apr 8, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #45,690 of 149,117
Most BIG dogs are gentle if raised well.
They kinda have to be because they have such mass that inside everything is a 'target' including them bouncing off of anything in their path if they get 'riled'.

But can you imagine the shear amount of dog food that they must be fed, everyday.
The food bills must be enormous.

And of course what goes in must come out and then dealing with that same amount of dog food post processing…

The phrase 'a Generous Supply of fertilizer' comes to mind.

So what is the viking/nordic/norse pantheon word for dog?

JJ :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back