1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. wink
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

2. GearMe
    Hmmm...i'll take 5 instead of 11.

Mystic crystal revelation
    And the mind's true liberation...

That said, it feels a little like ABBA (yuk) -- for the first song anyway! Too much soul on the second :wink:

audio philestine likes this.
  3. AlterAnthony
    @Jason Stoddard Any idea on when the Lyr 3 230V will become available again? I'm keen to get one, but your EU distributors have been out of stock for a while now. I know you're having some issues with getting the transformers for it. Thanks!

4. Hellenback
    @Jason Stoddard

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-3035#post-14875708

Haven't posted in quite some time, but landed on your write up (in the link above) while contemplating/searching out a new DAC.

Just want to say that if I had the discipline to write an article on how best to approach purchasing audio gear, I'd have attempted to write something that would mirror what you've said in this piece.

Great, concise advice and a refreshing write-up, especially coming from someone in the business of selling audio gear.

Thanks for putting this so succinctly. I hope more people out there chasing audio nirvana (aka chasing their tail) come across this.
    At the very least it might give them time to pause and think about what they're looking for and why.

Or even better, it might bring them to better appreciate what they already own and to realize enjoying tbe music you're hearing in the moment is the greatest pleasure in the music experience.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  5. artur9
    Me, too, after waiting 2 months for an amp that died after 6w.

Does what I need with no fuss so yes.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    CAPT Deadpool likes this.
  6. artur9
    Annapolis FTW. My wife has picked that as the retirement location. St Michaels was nice but a bit too far off the beaten track. Or any track, for that matter.

CAPT Deadpool likes this.
  7. scottbrown5271
    The wanting of a thing is often much nicer than the having of it...

8. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    It's like sex. When it's over it's over.

sam6550a, US Blues and scclimber like this.
  9. EELawson
    Just ordered 2 Aejir amps. I'm looking forward to this.

10. Hellenback

Haven't posted in quite some time, (so did it wrong initially :wink:

I landed on your write up here while contemplating/searching out the possible purchase a new DAC after years of using an incomplete resolution and non DSD model.

Just wanted to say that if I had the discipline to write an article on how best to approach purchasing audio gear, I'd have attempted to write something that would mirror what you've said in this piece.

Great advice and a refreshing write-up, especially coming from someone in the business of selling audio gear.

Thanks for putting this across so well. I hope more people out there chasing audio nirvana (aka chasing their tail) come across this post.
    At the very least, it might give them time to pause and think about what they're looking for and why.

Or even better, it might bring them to better appreciate what they already own and to realize enjoying tbe music you're hearing in the moment is the greatest pleasure in both the music experience and the audio journey.

Last edited: Today at 3:08 PM

Rensek likes this.
  11. valiant66
    It died after 6 watts?

12. artur9
    Maybe but definitely after 6 weeks.

CAPT Deadpool, liamo and thebmc like this.
  13. wink
    Or, perhaps 6 waits for it to boot up and make beautiful music - but that never eventuated......

14. US Blues
    Paul McGowan, the co-founder of PS Audio, sends out a short email each day with some thoughts about audiophile, gear, music, etc. You can read them, and sign up to receive these musings on the PS Audio website. Today's post by Paul is pertinent to our on-going discussions here:

Cats and stereos

Cats have always loved our products. Not because they’re qualified listeners that appreciate the fine sounds PS products produce, but because of our equipment’s heat.

Cats love nothing more than to curl atop a warm metal box and bask in the glow of a south-facing window.

My first encounter with feline audiophiles came from our 200C power amplifier of the 1980s. This 200 watt per channel amp was the biggest we’d ever made: 200 watts per channel into 8Ω and double that into 4Ω. Solid copper bus bars connected power supplies directly to the output transistors for unimpeded flow. It was a technical tour de force of the state of the art in 1980 and broke with the tradition of external heat sinks by internalizing them instead.

Not many amps had internal heat sinks in those days but we liked the svelt look the simple box offered. To get rid of the heat we copied what worked for tube power amplifiers, a perforated metal top and bottom to promote air flow. While this worked well for cooling the power amp there were unintended consequences from our feline friends. They liked to vomit hairballs into the amplifier’s innards.

This tendency of cats relieving their digestive tracts into warm metallic boxes was unknown to me from my days of cats and tube amplifiers. My guess as to why the 200C was preferred is because the vacuum tube amps were probably a little too hot for tabby to get a decent snooze. Those glass envelope fire bottles are pinpoint hot if you’re right over them. The 200C, on the other hand, had even heat distributed in a democratic fashion across the entire 19″ surface.

Most of us know of the dangers of cat claws and grille cloths, but I’ll bet few among us have spent much time contemplating the joys of taking a 200C amplifier to the local car wash to hose out cat vomit. I can tell you from experience it’s something very special.

Yes, we have an entire subset of furred audiophile admirers still in our camp, but we’ve since moved on to solid metal top covers.

15. yonson
    Reason 731,348,609,354 Dogs are better than cats...

motberg, Seret, artur9 and 5 others like this.