1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. bdemz
    Hello. 1st post but longtime lurker. Hopefully i can get some advice...

I have been looking at Schiit gear for a while and am very excited for the Rag2. However i would like to ask which setup might make better sense for me. I currently have Klipsch Forte III’s (very efficient speakers). I would not like to get into the full on tube amp world. Please give me your thoughts on...

- Ragnarok 2 or
    - Aegir/Saga/schiit dac/schiit head amp/mani......with my current fortes

Thank you

thebmc and US Blues like this.
  2. RickB
    Only if you prefer slavish, obedient pets.

Seret and AudioGal like this.
  3. yonson
    Welcome to the freakshow!

Honestly either one would work fine, it just depends on what your needs are.
    If you want all in one Rag 2 is a no brainer. However if you want a higher end DAC then the Aegir route would be the best way to go IMHO...

CAPT Deadpool, thebmc and US Blues like this.
  4. AudioGal
    Dogs 2
    Cats 0

5. winders
    motberg, liamo, AudioGal and 2 others like this.
  6. ScubaMan2017
    Welcome to the thread, @bdemz (the shadows are where the interesting lurkers hover [and that's one reason I watch my Ps & Qs online]). May I ask a question: do you prefer having a bunch of smaller, brushed aluminum boxes (Modi/Gungnir/Asgard/...) or a single, do-it-all monolith (Rag...)? I like the adult-version of audio-LEGO and mixing-and-matching. And tinkering, oh lord, my lady-love can attest to THAT.

sam6550a and Robert Padgett like this.
  7. US Blues
    Welcome to the asylum. The multibit DAC or your choice > Saga > Aegir will make your Forte's sing.

8. barondla
    A question about Magni 3. On the Verum Audio Kickstarter page (planar headphones built by a Head-Fier) a poster has a 5 db channel imbalance using a Magni 3. Other headphones are perfectly centered on the Magni. The Verum 8 Ohm headphones are perfectly centered on other systems. The designer posted that he had already encountered this with another Magni. He recommended using an impedance jack to solve the mismatch.

Hadn't heard of this before. What is going on? Does the Magni not like 8 ohm headphones? Just curious, trying to learn more about how all this works. Thanks.

9. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Dogs better than cats or vise versa?
    How stupid can we be?
    Dogs are better than humans. That's for sure.

10. Odin412
    I would recommend the Aegir/Saga/Schiit DAC route - more options to change/upgrade later. (And the joys of tube rolling, too!)

CAPT Deadpool and sam6550a like this.
  11. Oveja Negra
    When you have both of them and over the years are able to witness all the awesome, adorable and hilarious interactions between them is when you realize how imbecile is this Dogs vs Cats conversation.

12. porchwizard
    The same thread (I assume) also has someone raving about the sound connected to a modi/magni combo. YMMV.

barondla likes this.
  13. sam6550a
    What is an "impedance jack"?

14. US Blues
    It's the thing you use to jack up your impedance to change a flat.

*crickets*

I'll show myself out...

15. Ableza
    It’s the opposite of a mho Jill.