Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 13, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #44,747 of 155,092
The "Mega" was what Mike came up with for the very long, 8X filter used in Yggdrasil and Gungnir, to differentiate it from a shorter implementation in less capable DSPs in past products from his previous companies, and then the "plain-ol Combo" he used for the shorter 4X filter in Bifrost and Modi Multibit.

All in all, yeah, messy and confusing, and I'll be talking to Mike about what to call it going forward (one name, thanks, we're not going to do "regular, mega, and lite" versions, oh hell no, sorry, life is too friggin short).

We shouldn't be top hard on Mike. After all, if the USB Forum were the ones to name it, we would have UBurrito 3, Deluxe UBurrito 3.1, UBurrito 3.2 Gen 1, UBurrito 3.2 Grande, and Double Layer UBurrito 3.2 Gen 2 with Sour Cream - all to do pretty much the same thing.

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #44,748 of 155,092
What is the purpose of a patent then?

While I'm not a patent attorney, I do manage IP litigation for a multinational company in the tech/software field. I think what Jason means is that the costs in both money and time (which is often in even shorter supply) are very high if you want to purse patent infringement suits. Generally speaking, you don't see many operating companies focusing a ton on offensive patent cases (though it certainly happens) because the work is highly disruptive and costly. Most patent suits are filed by trolls (sorry, "non-practicing entities") who do nothing other than hold the patents and sue people who use any similar tech.

Plus, anyone in the consumer electronics space is painfully aware of the flood of, ahem, "sincerely flattering" products produced on the other side of the Pacific, where the gov't doesn't make it easy, to say the least, to enforce your IP rights.

Sure, someone can reverse engineer Schiit products, but I'm guessing that Jason will rely on 1) branding and reputation; 2) first-mover advantage; and 3) constant development to preserve the value of his designs.

Anyway, just my two cents...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #44,751 of 155,092
Multibyte, Multibite…

÷0≠BOOM, (just kidding).

OTT-filter (OverTheTop-filter)
DBDR (DigitalBitsDoneRight)

That’s all I have,
for now…!:ksc75smile:

JJ

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #44,752 of 155,092
Multibyte, Multibite…

÷0≠BOOM, (just kidding).

OTT-filter (OverTheTop-filter)
DBDR (DigitalBitsDoneRight)

That’s all I have,
for now…!:ksc75smile:

JJ

I guess we should not be surprised by these uninspiring name choices considering your choice of Yggdrasil nickname...

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #44,753 of 155,092
While I'm not a patent attorney, I do manage IP litigation for a multinational company in the tech/software field. I think what Jason means is that the costs in both money and time (which is often in even shorter supply) are very high if you want to purse patent infringement suits. Generally speaking, you don't see many operating companies focusing a ton on offensive patent cases (though it certainly happens) because the work is highly disruptive and costly. Most patent suits are filed by trolls (sorry, "non-practicing entities") who do nothing other than hold the patents and sue people who use any similar tech.

Plus, anyone in the consumer electronics space is painfully aware of the flood of, ahem, "sincerely flattering" products produced on the other side of the Pacific, where the gov't doesn't make it easy, to say the least, to enforce your IP rights.

Sure, someone can reverse engineer Schiit products, but I'm guessing that Jason will rely on 1) branding and reputation; 2) first-mover advantage; and 3) constant development to preserve the value of his designs.

Anyway, just my two cents...
Thanks. Makes sense. So, I still don't understand why anyone would seek out a patent if it is not helpful.
Sounds like the whole system is broken.

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #44,754 of 155,092
13781729_f520.jpg

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #44,755 of 155,092
Hmmm. Right now you support up to 192 kHz, but here you chose 768 kHz as the cutoff point... pair that with the unused x8 LED on the Yggy and you have me curious. :wink:

I vote MultiSchiit because it rhymes.

325/5000

I join Multi Schiit. Multi Schiit is extraordinary. It has originality, is immediately related to the manufacturer, and has the self-confidence to use Schiit. If you created an enterprise to manufacture audio equipment and you had the courage and the disruptive way to call it Schiit, then a filter can not be less!

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #44,756 of 155,092
Continuum™ filter. Yes, I am a huge space nerd.

I've got nothing on the multibit, so please stare at these vaguely relevant dilbert cartoons as a distraction while I escape:

e3cedc70a60d012f2fe800163e41dd5b

e1c382706cba01301d46001dd8b71c47

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #44,757 of 155,092
Mar 14, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #44,758 of 155,092
You just have to search for "Norse burrito". If that's not a megacomboburrito, I don't know what is.
Tunnbrödsrulle

Well, that would be in keeping with other interesting product names like Mjolnir, Ragnarok and Yggdrasil :)

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #44,760 of 155,092
[QUOTE="Jason Stoddard, post: 14834644, member: 153898"
Patents actually afford zero protection, while showing exactly what you're doing to everyone. Add a large legal budget and a team of lawyers and lots of time, and sure, you can protect your patent by suing infringers into submission, but that's not a viable business model for us.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. When I first started in the laser industry 28+ years ago, the owner of the business I worked for and my mentor refused to patent any of the things we did and wanted them left as Trade Secrets™. Once you patent them, everybody can copy your design and then all of your development budget, sales budget, etc. goes to lawyers. Nope, he'd rather pay us to develop cool lasers rather than a bunch of lawyers. So would i!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back