Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 13, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #44,701 of 151,278
By the way I like Janus Filter and True Multibit.

And now I've got the song Synchronicity stuck in my head, damn you. :wink:
This was a long, overdue chapter. I can stop cringing whenever I use mega combo burrito to describe my Modi Multibit. And re-appreciate what the hell’s so special about my Vali (my favourite toaster). Hopefully, some of this chapter will get into the snarky FAQ on the website (or add a link to it).

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #44,702 of 151,278
I'm old enough to remember the Infinity POS 1 speakers. You can imagine what the guys in the shop called that one. :L3000:

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #44,704 of 151,278
The problem I've always had with mega combo burrito filter name is it implies there are two lesser products, the burrito filter and the combo burrito filter, with the mega version being the "biggest." On the positive side though it leaves open the possibility of a super burrito filter or even enchilada-style, and all the subsidiary versions such as the bean-and-cheese, the carne asada and the breakfast burrito filters. But I suppose this puts us into yet another area of mythology....

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #44,705 of 151,278
The problem I've always had with mega combo burrito filter is it implies there are two lesser products, the burrito filter and the combo burrito filter, with the mega version being the "biggest." On the positive side though it leaves open the possibility of a super burrito filter or even enchilada-style, and all the subsidiary versions such as the bean-and-cheese, the carne asada and the breakfast burrito filters. But I suppose this puts us into yet another area of mythology....

Ahhhccctuallllyyy...there is technically both a MegaComboBurrito filter and a ComboBurrito filter.

The "Mega" was what Mike came up with for the very long, 8X filter used in Yggdrasil and Gungnir, to differentiate it from a shorter implementation in less capable DSPs in past products from his previous companies, and then the "plain-ol Combo" he used for the shorter 4X filter in Bifrost and Modi Multibit.

All in all, yeah, messy and confusing, and I'll be talking to Mike about what to call it going forward (one name, thanks, we're not going to do "regular, mega, and lite" versions, oh hell no, sorry, life is too friggin short). Mike probably has ideas of his own, some of which may be much better than mine.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 13, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #44,706 of 151,278
Ahhhccctuallllyyy...there is both a MegaComboBurrito filter and a ComboBurrito filter.

The "Mega" was what Mike came up with for the very long, 8X filter used in Yggdrasil and Gungnir, to differentiate it from a shorter implementation in less capable DSPs in past products from his previous companies, and then the "plain-ol Combo" he used for the shorter 4X filter in Bifrost and Modi Multibit.

All in all, yeah, messy and confusing, and I'll be talking to Mike about what to call it going forward (one name, thanks). He probably has ideas of his own.
Very cool, I missed that point in the past!

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #44,707 of 151,278
Unison USB™. This refers to our new USB interface that Mike and team have been prototyping for the last year, and in beta on for the last three months or so. Sounds pretty boring in a world where you can talk to the air and have Alexa play your favorite house mix for you? Yeah, well, enjoy your compressed Bluetooth sound over a walkie-talkie speaker, and the paranoia of wondering if Jeff Bezos is listening to you take a dump. Instead, we’ll concentrate on solving the problem of getting great audio over a general-purpose interface using a general-purpose microprocessor and our own single-minded code. Which actually turned out to be quite a challenge. Which also ended up working so well that Mike now prefers it over SPDIF. Yes. Mike. No, no alien pods have been found decomposing near his house. Maybe the reason it works so well is that it’s designed to do one thing and one thing only: transfer PCM digital audio from a source and convert it to I2S. That’s it. No 500x DSD, no MQA, no Brutoof, no shamalamadingdong, no 32/768 or 64/1536, no unicorn formats period.

Hmmm. Right now you support up to 192 kHz, but here you chose 768 kHz as the cutoff point... pair that with the unused x8 LED on the Yggy and you have me curious. :wink:

Deep Multibit, Integrated Multibit, Pure Multibit, Real Multibit, True Multibit, Multibit Neat, No-BS Multibit.Yeah, so what do we tack on to Multibit to differentiate it from everyone using a “multibit” delta-sigma D/A converter? Do we go deep (as in bit depth, 16-20 bits)? Do we play up the integrated aspect (as in, not a discrete ladder), do we talk about purity? Or do we just say what it is and let others defend: Real Multibit. What’s yours? True Multibit—kind of a nice ring to that one. Or do we go Multibit Neat, like scotch. Nothing added. Or play off the MegaComboBurrito and go with No-BS Multibit?
I vote MultiSchiit because it rhymes.

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #44,708 of 151,278
Yeah! True multibit sound nice, Janus too, but why mix norse and roman mythology,, i think i still prefer Mega combo burrito in that case :D

suggestions:

- A Vegvísir (filter) (Icelandic 'sign post') is an Icelandic magical stave intended to help the bearer find their way through rough weather. It is said that "if this sign is carried, one will never lose one's way in storms or bad weather, even when the way is not known".

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #44,711 of 151,278

...The Police...

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #44,712 of 151,278
And there you have it. Four names we’ve defined. Two we should probably define better...
...Let me know what you think!

True Multibit sounds good, or how about Multibit M.D. , due to the relationship of using medical device dacs, and could also mean "Murders Delta/Sigma"

For the filter, I like Berkeley Filter, George Berkeley is the first known mathmetician to write about the division by zero formula. He was also the namesake for University of California Berkeley.

Or Heimdall Filter, just because the character of Heimdall in Thor universe is awesome, and so is the filter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back