1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. mp29k
    I can’t wait to buy it, but will probably wait until the second or third production run.

I’ve received my Schiit 2 channel stack (Bimby and Mani into Saga into Vidar). I’m incredibly pleased. The Bifrost MB is still coming into its own. I can certainly hear a difference between the Passive and the tube (Tung Sol new 6SN7) buffer, and the remote and volume control is slick. Vidar is driving power to my speakers in the best way I’ve ever heard them, but (and this is a biggish but for me), I hear transformer hum/buzz (not through the speakers, but from the unit itself). I believed these issues had been worked out, bur apparently not. I’m curious if Jason Stoddard has any suggestions to try first (screws on the bottom of the amp? Should I play with these to see if it goes away?).

Mani, I’m torn on. I have a “better” Phono Pre (Lounge LCR mk3), which I’m going to be sending to the manufacturer for a wire upgrade, so I added Mani to try a different stage and to act as a stop gap. I like the clarity of the sound, but it sounds almost unnatural compared to the Lounge. Hyper detail and Tipped up treble rather than smooth natural detail I hear from the Lounge. It’s worth an audition, and I’ll be keeping it with the expectation it will burn in over time and will serve as a great stage while my Lounge is getting some new intestines.

Super happy. I can’t believe how much better Bifrost MB is than my previous DAC.

EELawson, yonson and Rensek like this.
  2. rlow
    Hum from the amp is sometimes due to DC offset on your lines, not necessarily from loose transformer. Also, Schiit can’t “fix” Fedex or whoever tossing your amp around and loosening/damaging it. I would fill out this form for specific help/advice:

https://www.schiit.com/contact/help-support

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Rensek and mp29k like this.
  3. mp29k
    I’m loving it too much to worry for now. If the hummus there after 10 days, I’ll send it back for a fix to Schiit. For now, it isn’t bothersome enough to send my brand new amp away just yet.

rlow likes this.
  4. rlow
    Glad to hear it! Love my 2 channel Schiit as well. Can you hear the hum from your listening position (assuming you don’t sit right above/next to the amp?) Jason generally says if you can’t hear it from a normal listening position, then the hum is likely within normal levels.

5. mp29k
    I can’t right now. BUT, there is a lot of ambient noise at the moment. I would if it were evening quiet. And also, that’s a fairly garbage answer (IMO), I can understand that answer from hum through the speakers, but him you can hear emanating from the amp itself simply shouldn’t be there, at all. It points to me as either an engineering problem, poor quality transformer or a damaged amp.

6. liamo
    I’ve been wondering how the Aegirs would push my speakers that are 86db @ 6ohms, I believe the KEF’s are 85 @ 8ohms so if you cranked them up a bit I’m very pleased. Thanks.

EELawson likes this.
  7. Ableza
    I prefer my hummus when it's fresh. :ksc75smile:

8. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    and without BS if possible.....

9. Brubacca

In my room, my 85dB speakers were quite power hungry (Sonus Faber Venere 1.5). Didn't sound right on the Naim UnitiQute (30W/ch), came alive with my 240W Monoblocks or 100W Tube Amps....

85dB and 86dB are quite inefficient. I would be concerned in my room with the Aegir (its medium/large if that means anything to you). Also notice that Schiit had monoblock Aegir on the LS50, again this would cause me pause.

I have always considered these low power amps (below 100) to be better suited to speakers in the 90dB and up range... The flea watt stuff 2-5Watt to be for 95dB speakers and up.

Again this is me in my spaces and from my limited experience.

Is Aegir 20W in stereo? Sorry don't remember so I'm going off of the 20W number.

Also efficiency is not the only indicator if a speakers is "hard" to drive.

liamo likes this.
  10. ColinP
    Yeah mono block is the way to go. Or go Vidar.

Originally I was going to build a pair of diyaudio nelson pass F5 turbo mono blocks. Then Schiit mentioned they were making class A biased amps with similar specs (Aegir). Saves me the effort of building the amps, matches my other Schiit products, and includes a warranty = perfect. Just waiting for the order page to come live.

audio philestine, EELawson and liamo like this.
  11. valiant66
    I’ll second that. My speakers (Totem Mani-2) are nominally 85db at 4 ohm efficient, but they are brutal to drive. Apparently at certain frequencies they drop down to near 1 ohm, and have often driven my amp into thermal overload shutdown. They are rated to hit 110db before mechanical compression, which is not as loud as some, but pretty impressive for standmounts that go down to 29hz.

liamo likes this.
  12. Derrick Swart
    Great speaker! Isobaric woofer construction if my memory serves well. I ve seen them on offer in Madrid for many years now and almost bought them but went for ATC in the end cheaper and sounded even better to me

13. ScubaMan2017
    (Rina [spouse?]) > (Schiitr Meets [fickle customers])

Just stating the obvious. :ksc75smile:

14. EELawson
    Nice job.. thank you for taking the time to give us these detailed notes. You are the man of the hour.

JohnnyCanuck and Mike-WI like this.
  15. JamminVMI
    Gods, hope the schaving part is optional...

audio philestine likes this.