Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 12, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #43,758 of 151,268
CF3600LE-cartridge-md_540x375.jpg

My vote for best $35 cartridge.
I'm still having trouble believing how good this thing sounds for the price. Very easy recommendation for those on a budget. Carbon Fiber cantilever with a .3 x .7 elliptical.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/CF3600LE.html

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #43,760 of 151,268
An electronics question for the community. It is always recommended to replace capacitors in really old equipment. Do the capacitors in ICs have similar lifespans?
Thanks

Electrolytic capacitors, yes. Film caps or those in ICs are fine.

JC

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #43,762 of 151,268
Anyone else notice the new Head-Fi Canjam 2019 NYC video shows the Ragnarok 2 (around 31:30)

A Ragnarok with a DAC and remote control. Who would have thunk it??

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #43,764 of 151,268
preview standees-1.jpg

You mean this one?

Yes, there will be a fully functional Ragnarok 2 first article at the show, with phono preamp and Multibit DAC cards.

Probably no chapter on this next week, but I'll talk about it prior to release. This one was the one I had to throw out a completed version (down to cosmetic metal) to develop the right product, so it's a long story...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 12, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #43,765 of 151,268

You mean this one?

Yes, there will be a fully functional Ragnarok 2 first article at the show, with phono preamp and Multibit DAC cards.

Probably no chapter on this next week, but I'll talk about it prior to release. This one was the one I had to throw out a completed version (down to cosmetic metal) to develop the right product, so it's a long story...

Dayum.

Anyone want a great deal on Rag 1?

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #43,766 of 151,268

You mean this one?

I assume after the show, samples will be on display at the Schiitr??

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #43,767 of 151,268
I assume after the show, samples will be on display at the Schiitr??

I hope so, but no guarantees.

A mini-FAQ for Ragnarok vs Ragnarok 2, for those who own, or are considering owning, a Ragnarok:

1. We have a few Ragnaroks left in black. They'll be marked down to $1499 today. If you want one, get it now. No, you can't return it for a 2 when it comes out. Sorry.

2. If you bought a Ragnarok in the last month and want to return it, contact us. Now. Don't wait, you can't keep it until the 2 comes out, sorry.

3. If you're trying to decide which to get, here's something to consider: Ragnarok 2 is now much more an integrated amp, rather than a headphone amp. It's physically larger than the old Ragnarok (deeper). It has big heatsinks so it can drive difficult speaker loads. It will not be your first choice for IEMs, because it's probably going to be noisy with some of them (though it will be fine with full-size headphones.) Them's the breaks; I would advise you to think long and hard about the wisdom of using custom IEMs with a 32-pound amp that runs its entire output through the balanced jack, and 1/2 the voltage output (so 1/4 the power) through the single-ended jack, neither with any resistors/pads/cheats. On the other hand, the SE output is now not summed, as in the old Ragnarok, so it's much more capable than the old one.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 12, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #43,768 of 151,268
I hope so, but no guarantees.

A mini-FAQ for Ragnarok vs Ragnarok 2, for those who own, or are considering owning, a Ragnarok:

1. We have a few Ragnaroks left in black. They'll be marked down to $1499 today. If you want one, get it now. No, you can't return it for a 2 when it comes out. Sorry.

2. If you bought a Ragnarok in the last month and want to return it, contact us. Now. Don't wait, you can't keep it until the 2 comes out, sorry.

3. If you're trying to decide which to get, here's something to consider: Ragnarok 2 is now much more an integrated amp, rather than a headphone amp. It's physically larger than the old Ragnarok (deeper). It has big heatsinks so it can drive difficult speaker loads. It will not be your first choice for IEMs, because it's probably going to be noisy with some of them (though it will be fine with full-size headphones.) Them's the breaks; I would advise you to think long and hard about the wisdom of using custom IEMs with a 32-pound amp that runs its entire output through the balanced jack, and 1/2 the voltage output (so 1/4 the power) through the single-ended jack, neither with any resistors/pads/cheats. On the other hand, the SE output is now not summed, as in the old Ragnarok, so it's much more capable than the old one.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Hey Jason, I went to look at the Ragnarok and the only color option there right now is black. Should there be the silver option listed as well?

ragnarok.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back