Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 12, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #43,786 of 149,146
I hope so, but no guarantees.

A mini-FAQ for Ragnarok vs Ragnarok 2, for those who own, or are considering owning, a Ragnarok:

1. We have a few Ragnaroks left in black. They'll be marked down to $1499 today. If you want one, get it now. No, you can't return it for a 2 when it comes out. Sorry.

2. If you bought a Ragnarok in the last month and want to return it, contact us. Now. Don't wait, you can't keep it until the 2 comes out, sorry.

3. If you're trying to decide which to get, here's something to consider: Ragnarok 2 is now much more an integrated amp, rather than a headphone amp. It's physically larger than the old Ragnarok (deeper). It has big heatsinks so it can drive difficult speaker loads. It will not be your first choice for IEMs, because it's probably going to be noisy with some of them (though it will be fine with full-size headphones.) Them's the breaks; I would advise you to think long and hard about the wisdom of using custom IEMs with a 32-pound amp that runs its entire output through the balanced jack, and 1/2 the voltage output (so 1/4 the power) through the single-ended jack, neither with any resistors/pads/cheats. On the other hand, the SE output is now not summed, as in the old Ragnarok, so it's much more capable than the old one.

Hopefully this helps a bit.
Can it still be stacked on top of Yggdrasil?

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #43,788 of 149,146
Yes, there will be a fully functional Ragnarok 2 first article at the show, with phono preamp and Multibit DAC cards.
It is with anticipation that I now see the vision of my future but with sadness knowing the journey will be long and difficult, New media computer, SOL phonograph, Speakers, Headphones, and one ring to rule them all!

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #43,791 of 149,146
I wonder what the Multibit card in the Rag 2 is equivalent to? A Modi Multibit?

The photos look like it's using the same modular card you can put into Jotunheim or Lyr 3. I believe that is a USB only multibit card similar to modi multibit.

Hoping they will surprise us and create some multibit cards for Toslink or BNC or something.

FWIW a b stock modi multibit is 200, the same price as the multibit DAC card...

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #43,792 of 149,146
The photos look like it's using the same modular card you can put into Jotunheim or Lyr 3. I believe that is a USB only multibit card similar to modi multibit.
Hoping they will surprise us and create some multibit cards for Toslink or BNC or something.
FWIW a b stock modi multibit is 200, the same price as the multibit DAC card...
But according to the interview with Jason and Mike by Darko,Mike says: The new upcoming USB will be (by far) the better sounding connection. To be better than TOSlink is no problem at all, that always sounds to harsh to my ears. BNC is SPdif protocol and Mike mentions this specifically. New USB will sound way better than SPdif.

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #43,793 of 149,146
The ONLY missing 'feature' I can see, is that there is only one balanced HP out (XLR-4pin).
Yeah I could make up a splitter, but having dual headphone outs is one of those 'features' that 'say so little yet mean so much', at least for me.
And I do hope it can be used as just a pre-amp (the pre-amp outs are always on).

And that the rag-2 is not 'strictly' an HP amp anymore, makes for an interesting wrinkle.
But I do like, (it appears), the increase in legibility of the front panel iconography.

JJ

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #43,794 of 149,146
The ONLY missing 'feature' I can see, is that there is only one balanced HP out (XLR-4pin).
Yeah I could make up a splitter, but having dual headphone outs is one of those 'features' that 'say so little yet mean so much', at least for me.
And I do hope it can be used as just a pre-amp (the pre-amp outs are always on).

And that the rag-2 is not 'strictly' an HP amp anymore, makes for an interesting wrinkle.
But I do like, (it appears), the increase in legibility of the front panel iconography.

JJ

I'd like to see a "double-wide" two slot card with balanced Multi-bit DAC as an option, maybe even with a mini AES/EBU XLR port (my eyes tell me that an full size 3pin XLR in won't fit).

Hopefully in the future this construct of two (or more) "expansion" card slots makes it into a Freya 2.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #43,796 of 149,146
Arm mass ? ie is ready for denon dl103 ??

I used a Denon DL-103S on a Mayware Formula 4 tonearm back in the 70s (and still have both). The mass of the Sol arm looks to be higher than the Formula 4 so it may work. It wouldn't be my recommended cartridge for this arm, though.

JC

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #43,797 of 149,146
Can it still be stacked on top of Yggdrasil?

I know it's a little bigger but I think you could it would maybe look weird having a bigger one on top of a smaller one..

Same size chassis only a bit deeper.

Personally I would not put a high-powered amplifier on top of my sensitive DAC.

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #43,798 of 149,146
Wonder which topoligy is implemented but indeed same watts but probably drive my ATCs with ease...i shall wait for the chapter on it
No doubt it will be an unchallenged quality amp.
For people with Ragnarok 1 and an Yggdrasil there will be no incentive to go Ragnarok 2 other than the new Nexus tech.
That is obviously enough reason to do it.
I'll be awaiting the first SQ tests of the two next to each other.

Feb 13, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #43,799 of 149,146
No doubt it will be an unchallenged quality amp.
For people with Ragnarok 1 and an Yggdrasil there will be no incentive to go Ragnarok 2 other than the new Nexus tech.
That is obviously enough reason to do it.
I'll be awaiting the first SQ tests of the two next to each other.
And the remote.
I know it's a little bigger but I think you could it would maybe look weird having a bigger one on top of a smaller one..

Same size chassis only a bit deeper.

Personally I would not put a high-powered amplifier on top of my sensitive DAC.
I already have Rag 1 on top of it and it works just fine so I'd give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back