Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 15, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #40,246 of 149,713
This snooty Brit - who spent the majority of working life in open systems and standards - would argue that it has more to do with building a revenue stream and walled garden than anything to do with nationality. After all most of us open guys were created to deal with the problem of Big Blue :)

Agreed. And such genius-thinking is the reason why Bloomberg surpassed Reuters by 2012 in the vital market-data terminals on the desks of financial traders.

And, I might add that their "Penny-wise, Pound-foolish" and otherwise-quite proper British Empire gone-by attitudes devalued the company to the point that Canadian Thomson was able to buy the name and reputation in a fire sale, back in 2008.

Let us not forget Canonical (Ubuntu) is British, one of the most popular distros of Linux.

No offense, mate... and revenue stream for closed systems in an open-source world will follow the same path into extinction

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #40,248 of 149,713
yes it can take a toll. we have now been through a handful of hurricanes here in florida where we go out to help people who lost homes, or rescue / find bodies etc. take in peoples animals because they have no where to go etc its never easy i cant imagine the towers though that must have been really tough.

You are a good person to help. I keep seeing photos of a house that was built to withstand hurricanes on Mexico Beach as I recall. It looks fine, everything else around it is pretty well gone. It makes it hard to focus on the house that made it.

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #40,249 of 149,713
Where did the Magni 2's come from? And why are Modi Ubers more than a Modi 3?

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #40,250 of 149,713
Oct 15, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #40,251 of 149,713
Thanks, good catch
2 Rags; B-Stock or "CLOSEOUT"???

B-Stock.

Jason detailed in a post earlier this Summer how he kept blowing up prototypes of "Rag 2," and said that it is not forthcoming anytime soon. Plus he won't even talk about Loki Maxi. :pouting_cat:

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #40,252 of 149,713
John Darko talks with Jason and Mike at RMAF 2018 and Mike spills the beans about what he is working on.

This is a great video.
Looking at Mike, this man exudes confidence and very direct, no BS or "beat around the bush" in his speech .

He is the epitomy of what an Alpha Man is.
He tells it like it is..
He throw the F, the Schiit, & the a*s bombs on anything even his schiit without hesitation.

It was implied that the Schiit USB may be better than the Gen 5 USB. Wow, I can't discern a difference between Gen 5 and coaxial SPDIF.
He said the USB was ass, and quickly corrected Jason every time Jason said it wasn't that bad..

This tells me Mike is just on another level, and holds his values to a way higher standard, admitting Gen5 was ok for him, but still prefer spdiff.
He also like CDs better.
He not pull no punches...
A true Alpha man there.

I heard and feel exactly the same, but for him to say the new USB is way better, and raised his arm in a visual way....
YOU JUST KNOW this is serious schiit!

For him, with his very high standards, to say what he said.
IMO, that's like saying the USB market will be in for a shakeup like when yggy hit the DAC scene...

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #40,253 of 149,713
Great interview with many insights on the future of digital Schiit products. For some the purpose and principle is clear even if wrongly understood by some. SchiitPi, as described will be an “internal affair” being installed inside of diverse Schiit digital products and running their own implementation of software to address dsp, device management function etc.
Others news leave some possibilities of discussion as is the new USB implementation. As stated in the interview this is actualy done remain only to be implemented in the real products and as mentioned in the interview this will happens, almost sure, during next year when the new USB will be part of their new DACs. This is clear but this is only about USB input (receiver part). As hinted in the interview they were working on both side of the interace as there is a mention of the transmiting end as well. At the moment there is no Schiit product that I know with USB output, one possible product being the former Gadget that now is going to be the Music processor (including also other functions than the initial Gadget). One question will be if there is any posibility to see a product to address also the transmiting end of USB as a streamer (as I understood not in their plans due to software development), a stand alone USB Ridge (similar with the present Eitr but with new USB output also) or/and some simple Raspberry PI USB hats. I think the last two ones will be a huge success addressing both trends of digital streaming as using a regular PC for the standalone solution and Using the Rasberry PI with a USB hat.
The last one is already commonly used with different boards (DIGI, 502DAC, DIGIONE, USB Bridge etc) but I think that will be a great solution for users with Schiit digital products to have an end to end Schiit solution. I know that many here are classifying this as a DIY solution and are driven away by this but in reality Is not DIY in my opinion. You must put 2 boards together, write a microSD card with your system of choice (Volumio, Moode ....), atach a psu and connect to the network. The settings are easily done and there are multiple way to operate them as stand alone players or as uPNP renderers . No soldering or tinkering involved. I have made it several yimes and in less than 1hour you can have a working player.
I start dreaming of such a USB hat for Raspberry Pi. What a great and simple solution will be to address the source USB problems.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #40,256 of 149,713
...{snip}...This tells me Mike is just on another level, and holds his values to a way higher standard, admitting Gen5 was ok for him, but still prefer spdiff.....{snip}...He also like CDs better....{snip}.....

God, I really hope there's a renascence with CD sales (and used sales for that matter). I lost my beloved used CD shop at the corner of Yonge Street & Eglington (Toronto). I want a physical copy of my music (sure, I rip it to my hard drive and use it like a streaming device to my listening-chill-out-chair and its Schiit stack.
I know, I know - buy CDs online. I should get with the times. Hell, I'm just glad I got over my audio-nervosa about upgrading all my files to 24-bit! CD-quality's good enough for me. I was listening to Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson... a 1962!? recording remastered for CD. I can hear Oscar humming and muttering in the background. Beautiful stuff.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #40,257 of 149,713
The Schiit ModiMB are heavily discounted! I dont regret buying mine last year (if you were to ask me how different it sounds, I couldn’t tell you.... ah well). My Vali’s on its way to me and that should keep me happy for a bit (as I listen to the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet)...

{EDIT}… no Lyr3s in the list. ...?…

I am under the belief that Modi Multibit underwent an unannounced upgrade. The reason I suspect this is simple. I had a review sample of the Modi Multibit, and in the course of my testing, I managed to get the coaxial connector loose, so I sent the until back and purchased one (at full retail).
The new one had undergone a change.
First, the metal was different. Different graining, and a different hue when compared to my other Schiit products. And the SQ was VASTLY better. I don't mean a little better, I mean, "Holy Schiit!, did you hear that?" better.

Of course, my sources within Schiit HQ were mum verbally, but a smiling emoji kinda let it slip. I asked outright, "Is the New Modi Multibit going to include the upgrades?". Now with a Butt-load of them on the b-stock list, I may have been shipped what will be the New Modi Multibit 2. I know it sounds about like the Gungnir Multibit, just not quite there, I mean after all for $1,000 more, you have to expect that.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #40,259 of 149,713
I am under the belief that Modi Multibit underwent an unannounced upgrade. The reason I suspect this is simple. I had a review sample of the Modi Multibit, and in the course of my testing, I managed to get the coaxial connector loose, so I sent the until back and purchased one (at full retail).
The new one had undergone a change.
First, the metal was different. Different graining, and a different hue when compared to my other Schiit products. And the SQ was VASTLY better. I don't mean a little better, I mean, "Holy Schiit!, did you hear that?" better.

Of course, my sources within Schiit HQ were mum verbally, but a smiling emoji kinda let it slip. I asked outright, "Is the New Modi Multibit going to include the upgrades?". Now with a Butt-load of them on the b-stock list, I may have been shipped what will be the New Modi Multibit 2. I know it sounds about like the Gungnir Multibit, just not quite there, I mean after all for $1,000 more, you have to expect that.
...aaaaaaaaand there goes my eye... jittering. Sigh, an improved ModiMB, eh. Possibly a Modi Multibit II.... Ah well. I know this can become a never-ending game of upgrading. In a couple of years, I'll set this rig up somewhere else and go the upgrade-able Bi-Frost or Lyr route... Or jump all the way to Gungir territory. Fascinating post, @Robert Padgett .

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #40,260 of 149,713
I have a couple newby questions. If this isn’t the place, just tell me to get lost. Freya vs Jotunheim for balanced preout to power a pair of active dynaudio ? Also mani vs phono pre in Marantz pm8005 I currently have ? Looking to take advantage of these b stock. I already have a Modi Multibit.
Thanks
Blake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back