Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #40,276 of 152,020
Great interview with many insights on the future of digital Schiit products. For some the purpose and principle is clear even if wrongly understood by some. SchiitPi, as described will be an “internal affair” being installed inside of diverse Schiit digital products and running their own implementation of software to address dsp, device management function etc.
Others news leave some possibilities of discussion as is the new USB implementation. As stated in the interview this is actualy done remain only to be implemented in the real products and as mentioned in the interview this will happens, almost sure, during next year when the new USB will be part of their new DACs. This is clear but this is only about USB input (receiver part). As hinted in the interview they were working on both side of the interace as there is a mention of the transmiting end as well. At the moment there is no Schiit product that I know with USB output, one possible product being the former Gadget that now is going to be the Music processor (including also other functions than the initial Gadget). One question will be if there is any posibility to see a product to address also the transmiting end of USB as a streamer (as I understood not in their plans due to software development), a stand alone USB Ridge (similar with the present Eitr but with new USB output also) or/and some simple Raspberry PI USB hats. I think the last two ones will be a huge success addressing both trends of digital streaming as using a regular PC for the standalone solution and Using the Rasberry PI with a USB hat.
The last one is already commonly used with different boards (DIGI, 502DAC, DIGIONE, USB Bridge etc) but I think that will be a great solution for users with Schiit digital products to have an end to end Schiit solution. I know that many here are classifying this as a DIY solution and are driven away by this but in reality Is not DIY in my opinion. You must put 2 boards together, write a microSD card with your system of choice (Volumio, Moode ....), atach a psu and connect to the network. The settings are easily done and there are multiple way to operate them as stand alone players or as uPNP renderers . No soldering or tinkering involved. I have made it several yimes and in less than 1hour you can have a working player.
I start dreaming of such a USB hat for Raspberry Pi. What a great and simple solution will be to address the source USB problems.

A Schiit HAT would be good........

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #40,277 of 152,020
+1!! I'd love a Schiit ball cap!!

(J/K) :smirk:

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #40,278 of 152,020
Of course, if you already have a Schiit external DAC, you can feed it into the Sprout ANALOG inputs, and it sounds even better. My system is playing a 24-bit UltraMatrix soundboard recording of the Grateful Dead 1986-12-27 (139730--shnid)
with the SPDIF feed on my network into Gumby, and then into Sprout. Wow! Just WOW!

Nice.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #40,281 of 152,020
It's a joke. Earlier in this thread, I jokingly told Jason he should introduce an Yggy, Jr. to consolidate the MB DAC line like he did with the Modi (Delta-Sigma) and Magni line. He then posted an image of the Modi MB with the name removed and replaced with the name Yggy, Jr!!! :D

Okay, you got me there.
Remember in "Full Metal Jacket" when the DI (the Late Gunnery Sgt. R. Lee Ermey, USMC-Ret.) was going down the line...

"Okay, wise guy...from now on, you are Joker"

And you caught being serious...

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #40,282 of 152,020
Just to be clear -- I'm not saying that the new USB is in any Mimby. There was supposedly a 'firmware update' that improved Mimby sound quality and the update supposedly happened after the first of 2018. It was a silent "upgrade". There is no new USB in any Mimby at this time. I am merely speculating that there could be a new Mimby 2 that incorporates the new USB sometime in the future. The new USB is just now going out to beta testers and is not in production yet.

That fits the time frame. They said I had the loaner unit from before their Fed-Ex has hacked. That why the Fed-Ex folks said they couldn't pick it up-- because their computer said that number was from a closed account.

Hell, Jason and Mike are making money hand-over-fist, so they ain't going to quit Fed-Ex.

So that was in 2017. My new Mimby was in the second quarter of 2018, and yes, the firmware upgrade made a MARKED improvement in not only SQ but soundstage presentation is more open...

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #40,284 of 152,020
Well as a twenty odd year Bay Area CA resident (I regard myself as a Californian having gained my citizenship there) I'm well versed with intricacies of the various life enhancing products. We moved to NC three months ago and I'm not sure if I will be as much of an oddity there as in CA. I'm one of those (increasingly rare) folks who has never done drugs - inluding pot - of any kind. Dinner conversations in CA were often 'what never?' and though I was always tempted to immitate Captain Corcoran, I had to say 'Never'. I make up for it in red wine.

Cheers
You’re not alone (in either the sampling or the wine)!

Cheers, indeed!

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #40,285 of 152,020
I placed an order for b stock schiit tonight.

Vidar, Saga, with nos, LISST, & Modi 3 are coming. Edit - Had to reorder, (because i'm an idiot) now have a B stock Loki coming as well.

I ordered a mimby in May 2018, and love it. Wonder what version I got. The top is different then my Dec 2017 Magni.

If I like the Modi 3 with HP use I'll keep it. Otherwise I'll give it to my dad. His powered bookshelfs have no DAC and he uses his phone.

I thought about holding out for Aegir but, who knows when Aegir will release.

Super excited to set this schiit up in my garage while I work on home renovation (never ending). I'll move it to the living room when winter finally pushes me into hibernation.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #40,286 of 152,020
I'm jealous!! Vidar / Saga combo is on my list -- subject to change with Aeiger, maybe. If you got Mimby in May 2018, you are good for the new FW as it was "snuck in" mid-to-latter 1st quarter of '18 according to folks at the site which shall not be named. I bought mine on 12/17, so I missed out. :frowning2:

Let us know what you think!!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #40,288 of 152,020
I have a couple newby questions. If this isn’t the place, just tell me to get lost. Freya vs Jotunheim for balanced preout to power a pair of active dynaudio ? Also mani vs phono pre in Marantz pm8005 I currently have ? Looking to take advantage of these b stock. I already have a Modi Multibit.
Thanks
Blake

I use a Jot between Yggy and my Focal monitors and LCD X, all balanced. I like SS and this is a fine setup IMO.
I never shut Yggy or the Jot off, a warm Jot is a smooth Jot.:L3000:

God, I really hope there's a renascence with CD sales (and used sales for that matter). I lost my beloved used CD shop at the corner of Yonge Street & Eglington (Toronto). I want a physical copy of my music (sure, I rip it to my hard drive and use it like a streaming device to my listening-chill-out-chair and its Schiit stack.
I know, I know - buy CDs online. I should get with the times. Hell, I'm just glad I got over my audio-nervosa about upgrading all my files to 24-bit! CD-quality's good enough for me. I was listening to Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson... a 1962!? recording remastered for CD. I can hear Oscar humming and muttering in the background. Beautiful stuff.

Oh I'm counting on the silver discs for my lifetime, we go CD scrounging all the time.

It seems I can't wait for a new disc spinner.
Tomorrow I go to pickup a Esoteric DV-50S, it is from the TEAC reference line circa 2004
They make legendary transports and I have already found a new laser, I'll get 2 just in case.

It weighs 47 lbs, and looked like new in the pics. :sunglasses:

DV-50s-Mecha.jpg

So I can use this to feed Yggy with SPDIF for the ultimate redbook experience.
Or it will play those infernal SACDs with their satanic DSD high rez natively :p
It will also do DVD-A PCM up to 24/192.
It's a oldie but a goodie.

I would really just wait for a Schiit transport, but I need a standalone player because I use Yggy in my studio mostly.

So this thing I found sold for 6k in '04.
Then in '08 it had $1750 in service and a Signature Mod done by The Upgrade Company.
The guy that did it knows the TEAC decks very well, a renown modder. I get to demo it before I buy.

So the original owner had almost 8k into it in '08, I didn't get it cheap, but cheap enough.
It will last the rest of my life:blush:

I placed an order for b stock schiit tonight.

Vidar, Saga, with nos, LISST, & Modi 3 are coming. Edit - Had to reorder, (because i'm an idiot) now have a B stock Loki coming as well.

I ordered a mimby in May 2018, and love it. Wonder what version I got. The top is different then my Dec 2017 Magni.

If I like the Modi 3 with HP use I'll keep it. Otherwise I'll give it to my dad. His powered bookshelfs have no DAC and he uses his phone.

I thought about holding out for Aegir but, who knows when Aegir will release.

Super excited to set this schiit up in my garage while I work on home renovation (never ending). I'll move it to the living room when winter finally pushes me into hibernation.

I'm super excited for you, you can always sell and get different Schiit later, or just get more Schiit later :beerchug:

cool-im-so-excited-gif-784.gif

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #40,290 of 152,020
I will second that. I use two RasPi as end-points. I found that the Raspian Stretch OS is so similar to the GUI from Ubuntu, it was a smoother transition.

Here is the rub-- I tried "Volumio" and "openmediavault" as OS, and could never get either to work on my network. So, I defaulted to what I understand... I use 'OpenSSH-server' and just have to "sign-in" to my server from the endpoints. For me, having a "headless" or Android-based UI is a problem, if it doesn't work. I can see what's going on in Raspian, on a monitor. And if you reboot the server, you just sign back in.

Everything is ethernet, hard-wired, my WiFi router was less than spectacular in the networked Music...lots of drop-out and skips.
Volumio is too bloated and too buggy for my taste. I vouch for piCorePlayer. A bit more complicated to install (not for a *ix head, though), but lightweight, stable, responsive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back