Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 16, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #152,011 of 153,738
Have to get an adapter....
I own adapters lol, I had not adapted to a 5670 before but adapting and using 1500 6sn7’s and equivalents caused me to buy adapters. 😁 Now finding everything is another story. I may have to take Finnegan on a field trip. First I need to listen to Naughty Girls on the Vali 3, the military version was the Sylvania VT 94D. Oh and while searching I found a matched Quad of CBS 5692's, some other 12AU7's, and so on.

IMG_7927.jpeg

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #152,012 of 153,738
First maybe some 6J5’s including naughty girls. IMG_7924.jpegIMG_7923.jpeg

I have choices, just five or six more boxes to go through for single triodes. 7A4’s as well. IMG_7925.jpeg

Inside these cases are tubes I do not show. I borrowed them from my local group and they are being picked up today.IMG_7926.jpeg
NOTWORHTY.gif

May 16, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #152,013 of 153,738
First maybe some 6J5’s including naughty girls. IMG_7924.jpegIMG_7923.jpeg

I have choices, just five or six more boxes to go through for single triodes. 7A4’s as well. IMG_7925.jpeg

Inside these cases are tubes I do not show. I borrowed them from my local group and they are being picked up today.IMG_7926.jpeg
Only Finnegan has the key.

May 16, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #152,014 of 153,738
Question:

Microphonic tubes.

I have had several over the years.

Recently I got one really sensitive to touching, light tapping but it sounds GREAT!.
Got a replacement from Schiit. Thanks!

A Channel Master version for my Vali 2+. (6BZ7)

Put back in the microphonic tube and its still microphonic. It is a no label 6BZ7A, Made in Canada.
BUT if you leave it alone and just listen there is no sonic detriment that I can discern.

So what do you guys think?

:>)
Alex

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #152,016 of 153,738
I missed the last offering of the RSL as I was on vacation. Considering Cambridge Audio Minx X201 since it also has a line out and that is my use case. (Lyr 3 to sub, sub to Gjallarhorn)

Do the Starkes have a line out? hard to tell on the website
And just like that i got an email from RSL and was able to backorder a 10S MKII

May 16, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #152,017 of 153,738
Question:

Microphonic tubes.

Recently I got one really sensitive to touching, light tapping but it sounds GREAT!.

Put back in the microphonic tube and its still microphonic.
BUT if you leave it alone and just listen there is no sonic detriment that I can discern.

Alex
Personally I would go ahead and use it.

Oh and I generally only use 12AU7's in pairs but, I just found a single NOS tube I forgot I owned so I will send it along with the Amperex. It may need a little burn in time but it is very promising. It will be a surprise for you.

May 16, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #152,019 of 153,738
Question:

Microphonic tubes.

Put back in the microphonic tube and its still microphonic.

Alex
I just watched a youtube video yesterday that spoke to this. Apparently there can be a fine line between an exceptionally good-sounding tube and it going microphonic.

May 16, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #152,021 of 153,738
Finnegan likes a Brimar.IMG_7931.jpegIMG_7932.jpeg

Then there is a grey glass GE possibly made by Ken Rad, it sounds too good to be GE, crazy gain on this one. Next up is a Tung Sol black glass VT-231 round plate.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #152,023 of 153,738
Question:

Microphonic tubes.

Put back in the microphonic tube and its still microphonic. It is a no label 6BZ7A, Made in Canada.

Alex
*I* think you have a microphonic tube. 🤣

Seriously, once a tube goes microphonic it will stay that way. But when it comes to HP listening, microphonic tubes are really not much of a problem unless the amp/preamp is on a desktop where you're pinging away on a keyboard. Microphonic tubes are more of an issue in a loudspeaker system where the structural and airborne vibrations generated by the speakers can cause the microphony to be 'heard.' And too, there are different levels of microphonic -- in some tubes the level is very faint and barely audible going all the way to tubes that are so severely microphonic that just speaking near it will cause it to ring audibly. In an HP setup, there are no airborne vibrations to speak of that would set the tube off, and if the amp is on a solid surface that isn't subject to physically induced vibrations, then the microphonics are really not an issue. There is no danger (that I'm aware of) in using a microphonic tube -- the only issue is the ringing or noise that can occur as a result. So if that 6BZ7A sounds awesome other than the microphonics, use it and enjoy it!

May 16, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #152,024 of 153,738
Hey today is NATIONAL BARBECUE DAY!!

Drat, my wife is filling a charcuterie board with smoked salmon and other goodies. I would have to import BBQ. :beerchug:

May 16, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #152,025 of 153,738
Deviating from my normal Jazz recommendation tonight. I'm enjoying this so much, I thought I'd share with my Schiity friends. Gotta love LRB and John Farnham. 😏

(I'll be back to Jazz tomorrow )

1000005744.jpg

* This is the only place where telling someone their system sounds like Schiit is paying them the highest compliment. 😁
Always liked the killer harmonies on 'A long way there'. Try the Album 'Whispering Jack' for John Farnham.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back