Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 16, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #40,291 of 154,668
Volumio is too bloated and too buggy for my taste. I vouch for piCorePlayer. A bit more complicated to install (not for a *ix head, though), but lightweight, stable, responsive.
I’ll second the PiCorePlayer nod - it’s very well behaved, easy install and configure...

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #40,292 of 154,668
Where did the Magni 2's come from? And why are Modi Ubers more than a Modi 3?
Standard mark down (opposite of their standard mark up)
Standardization sometimes gets you in trouble when common sense...

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #40,295 of 154,668
Or at least that's how I understand it. Sometimes I feel a bit like Sheriff Carter (of Eureka) when talking to Dave, Mike, and Ivana.
On a good day I aspire to being as smart as Sheriff Carter. But why is he the Maytag repair guy now? And how did he manage to always impress the hottest babe on that show?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #40,296 of 154,668
@Rensek - Congrats!!!! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Saga / Vidar combo. I thought you already had a Modi 3 though? Is the new one MB?

There is no Modi 3 MB. Modi 3 replaces the Modi delta-sigma DAC line-up. Mimby remains unchanged (for now). I believe Rensek has a Magni 3 along with an existing Mimby, and has a Modi 3 on the way. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #40,297 of 154,668
[Warning thread hijack in process....]
Another stupid question to throw into the ring. I have a Denon receiver for all of my main "stereo stuff". It's connected to my network router. My computer (Win7) has terabytes of FLACs stored in an external HDD. The computer is also (obviously) connected to my router. My question is: What do I need to allow me to play said FLACs through my receiver and hear them on my big speakers? I'd rather not spend any money to do this. I've tried doing searches but everything comes back tied to a specific piece of hardware or to something more complicated than what I want to do. Thanks in advance!

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #40,298 of 154,668
Hello,
i have a little problem with my Valhalla2.
When i turn the volumn to 1/3 and higher i start to hear a hum/his from my headphones. I already put the amp on a different spot without any other hardware, other power cord and plug. Changed gain.
I still can hear it on my LCD-X and Fostex XR00.

Chain is PC->USB->Audio GD NFB1 DAC -> Schilded cinch->loki->schilded cinch->valhalla2.
(The DAC is feeding my other AMP through XLR, without the secound amp i still hear the noise)
Without the Loki i have the backgroundnoise too.

I use the Loki+Valhalla2 only for some fun musik time where i want a bit less highs. But i can still hear it through my musik

For everything else i have my audio-GD NFB1 AMP (connected with XLR) where i have ZERO background noise

Im gratefull for helping answer.

Regards

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #40,299 of 154,668
I'm super excited for you, you can always sell and get different Schiit later, or just get more Schiit later :beerchug:

Yeah, that thought process is what led me to buying Vidar last night. Plus now I can audition my friends Maggies.

@Rensek - Congrats!!!! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Saga / Vidar combo. I thought you already had a Modi 3 though? Is the new one MB?

Thanks, I'm super excited.

On a good day I aspire to being as smart as Sheriff Carter. But why is he the Maytag repair guy now? And how did he manage to always impress the hottest babe on that show?

Miss that show. In my experience most womens eyes glaze over when talking tech. Talk about or do something that is considered "manly" in their eyes and they smile, laugh, play with their hair, etc. That guy always had his sleeves rolled up. Women love forearms. My wife calls it male cleavage.

There is no Modi 3 MB. Modi 3 replaces the Modi delta-sigma DAC line-up. Mimby remains unchanged (for now). I believe Rensek has a Magni 3 along with an existing Mimby, and has a Modi 3 on the way. :wink:

Correct sir! I wanted to buy a cheaper new dac on the chance that a new bifrost (gumby Jr) or updated mimby is in the works. I can easily put my modi 3 in the garage or give it to my dad when something else comes along.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #40,300 of 154,668
Between a pair of Aegir and Sol, I'll be dropping a bit more $$$ on Schiit in the next few months...

Sol and Aegir both sound frigging awesome. I can see getting Aegir someday. I don't listen to vinyl often enough to make Sol worthwhile at this point. I'm still going to watch the setup video that they put on youtube though. #fanboy

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #40,301 of 154,668
Hello,
When i turn the volumn to 1/3 and higher i start to hear a hum/his from my headphones. I already put the amp on a different spot without any other hardware, other power cord and plug. Changed gain.

Chain is PC->USB->Audio GD NFB1 DAC -> Schilded cinch->loki->schilded cinch->valhalla2.
(The DAC is feeding my other AMP through XLR, without the secound amp i still hear the noise)

I use the Loki+Valhalla2 only for some fun musik time where i want a bit less highs. But i can still hear it through my musik

For everything else i have my audio-GD NFB1 AMP (connected with XLR) where i have ZERO background noise

Regards
I would start backwards with your chain to isolate the source. With nothing connected to the Valhalla 2 except AC and your headphones, do you hear noise at any volume level? Does the gain setting make a difference? If no noise, add the next piece - the input cables ONLY. Make sure the other ends of the cables are not touching anything or are being shorted. Noise? If not, add the next piece and so on. If you do hear noise with only the Val 2, wiggle the tubes (when cool!) or remove/reseat them. Good luck!

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #40,302 of 154,668
[Warning thread hijack in process....]
Another stupid question to throw into the ring. I have a Denon receiver for all of my main "stereo stuff". It's connected to my network router. My computer (Win7) has terabytes of FLACs stored in an external HDD. The computer is also (obviously) connected to my router. My question is: What do I need to allow me to play said FLACs through my receiver and hear them on my big speakers? I'd rather not spend any money to do this. I've tried doing searches but everything comes back tied to a specific piece of hardware or to something more complicated than what I want to do. Thanks in advance!

If you have no digital input on your receiver that can decode your gonna need more gear.:)

http://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost

Several of these in b-stock, I'd get the MB.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #40,303 of 154,668
Hello,

Regards

I had a similar issue with what I thought was the Loki adding gain that the background noise level became audible. I isolated piece by piece and only fixed it by adding a Wyrd between my PC and everything else. I was getting PC power supply hash in my system. Now I use an Eitr and go coax for better sound.

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #40,304 of 154,668
Oct 16, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #40,305 of 154,668
Yeah, that thought process is what led me to buying Vidar last night. Plus now I can audition my friends Maggies.

Awaiting your impressions and particulars of the Maggies.:)

I would start backwards with your chain to isolate the source. With nothing connected to the Valhalla 2 except AC and your headphones, do you hear noise at any volume level? Does the gain setting make a difference? If no noise, add the next piece - the input cables ONLY. Make sure the other ends of the cables are not touching anything or are being shorted. Noise? If not, add the next piece and so on. If you do hear noise with only the Val 2, wiggle the tubes (when cool!) or remove/reseat them. Good luck!

Thinking a bad tube could be the cause if all that doesn't work? I am no tube guy, yet. :thinking:

47d96352021979.5608cb97080b5.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back