Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 15, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #40,261 of 151,951
Oct 15, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #40,262 of 151,951
I have a couple newby questions. If this isn’t the place, just tell me to get lost. Freya vs Jotunheim for balanced preout to power a pair of active dynaudio ? Also mani vs phono pre in Marantz pm8005 I currently have ? Looking to take advantage of these b stock. I already have a Modi Multibit.
Thanks
Blake

Why not Saga?

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #40,263 of 151,951
...aaaaaaaaand there goes my eye... jittering. Sigh, an improved ModiMB, eh. Possibly a Modi Multibit II.... Ah well. I know this can become a never-ending game of upgrading. In a couple of years, I'll set this rig up somewhere else and go the upgrade-able Bi-Frost or Lyr route... Or jump all the way to Gungir territory. Fascinating post, @Robert Padgett .

Hey, I am just an Audio writer slogging in the trenches with the rest of my Doughboys... But I can say definitively that the new Modi Multibit sounded better.

Rick Schultz confided that often times, new technology is released without fanfare because they might have all the new parts, but the new covers are delayed. So you stuff the new boards in the old chassis, and when the truck brings you the "new" exterior, then they announce it as a New and Improved. It this not how they deployed the Analog 2 upgrades? And weren't they upgrading the Yggys on the down-low until they could offer the upgrades?

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #40,265 of 151,951
Balanced inputs on the active speakers. Don’t know if it would make a difference.

Ah. Well if you’re a solid state guy then Jot is a good choice as a preamp. ive used it when I had the yamaha hs7 active speakers. Setup was in balanced mode.

If youre not really strict on the balanced connection the Saga will be as good as the Freya (some say better) and that you can tube roll In a cheaper way. Plus the remote.

If you you really want balance and dont need to use your setup on headphones then Freya.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #40,268 of 151,951
I know, I know - buy CDs online. I should get with the times.

Online is fine, if you know what you want. Nothing beats going to a physical store and perusing through the bins of used CDs to find the artist/album you had forgotten about or finding that treasure you didn't even know existed!! And helping a local merchant is always nice!!

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #40,269 of 151,951
I was very tempted to purchase a new Mimby, just to get the upgraded "whatever" that everyone is talking about, but with the new USB nearing release, I suspect there will be a Mimby 2 that will have the new "whatever" upgrade and the new and improved Schitty USB (or a Bifrost w/ upgraded USB). I've hit the purchase pause button for now. ** :D

(Unless Gumby, Jr. makes a surprise entrance from stage left, that is!!) :wink:

** Although a Vali 2 B-Stock is VERY TEMPTING!! :smirk:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #40,270 of 151,951
I have a couple newby questions. If this isn’t the place, just tell me to get lost. Freya vs Jotunheim for balanced preout to power a pair of active dynaudio ? Also mani vs phono pre in Marantz pm8005 I currently have ? Looking to take advantage of these b stock. I already have a Modi Multibit.
Thanks
Blake

I own a Jotenheim, but from what I've read go with the Freya for balanced preout. Gives you multiple options for gain and has a much better potentiometer and a remote. I would go with the Mani phono; it has multiple rave reviews. And the Mani is likely a better choice than the phono card for the Jotunheim as it can be used in front of a preamp (Freya) or tone control (Loki) and still be amped by a Jotenhiem or other amp.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #40,271 of 151,951
I was very tempted to purchase a new Mimby, just to get the upgraded "whatever" that everyone is talking about, but with the new USB nearing release, I suspect there will be a Mimby 2 that will have the new "whatever" upgrade and the new and improved Schitty USB (or a Bifrost w/ upgraded USB). I've hit the purchase pause button for now. ** :D

(Unless Gumby, Jr. makes a surprise entrance from stage left, that is!!) :wink:

** Although a Vali 2 B-Stock is VERY TEMPTING!! :smirk:

Anyone else think that it is possible that the new USB implementation is in current new stock modi multiibit dacs?

Could explain the much improved sound.

Very tempted to purchase one myself!

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #40,272 of 151,951
I'm still holding out for a Yggy Jr. branded Mimby...

I am afraid that is just not going to happen.
First, the Modi Multibit uses the Bifrost Chipset, the Gungnir uses the Yggy chipset. For a Yggy, Jr to me a Mimby, they would have to supplant the chip differential, which would make no sense. I think we are on the right trail that the key upgrade is the New USB that Mike likes.

I DON'T suspect that the new USB was the upgrade because I hooked the Modi Multibit up by SPDIF from my DigiOne transport, so USB was not a factor.

From a Macro perspective, the line-up of the DACs has a progression-- Modi3 D/S, Modi Multibit (MB3?), Bifrost D/S, Bifrost Multi, Gungnir D/S, Gungnir Multibit, Yggdrasil (Everything and the kitchen sink, flagship with all the Good Schiit)

Why would you want to take the chipset from your $2399 Flagship and put it into the second from the bottom in your line?

Would that not be like Scuderia Ferrari putting a V-12 motor into a Fiat?

So that they could sell the Fiat for $500 more?

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #40,273 of 151,951
Anyone else think that it is possible that the new USB implementation is in current new stock modi multiibit dacs?

I know that this NOT the case. My Modi Multibit was only played with SPDIF, and I didn't even hook a USB cable up to it.

When the review unit of the Gungnir MB arrived, with Gen5 USB, I put it into direct comparison with the SPDIF feed, which was almost identical. And I put it up against the onboard DAC in the PS Audio Sprout100 and said, that if you were to purchase the new Sprout, that an external DAC would not be necessary. Steve Guttenberg mentions a "haze" in the USB stage of the Sprout and suggested a Schiit Modi Uber as an external DAC.

I listened to Beck, "Morning Phase" (2014)-- the same passage as Steve, and not only did I NOT hear any haze, I could hardly tell the difference between the Modi 2 (Delta/Sigma) and the Sprout DAC. Even the Modi Multibit (new version) only made slight improvements in a USB to USB test. Not enough to justify a $249 investment, when the Sprout100 will handle your USB duties very well.

Of course, if you already have a Schiit external DAC, you can feed it into the Sprout ANALOG inputs, and it sounds even better. My system is playing a 24-bit UltraMatrix soundboard recording of the Grateful Dead 1986-12-27 (139730--shnid)
with the SPDIF feed on my network into Gumby, and then into Sprout. Wow! Just WOW!

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #40,274 of 151,951

Just to be clear -- I'm not saying that the new USB is in any Mimby. There was supposedly a 'firmware update' that improved Mimby sound quality and the update supposedly happened after the first of 2018. It was a silent "upgrade". There is no new USB in any Mimby at this time. I am merely speculating that there could be a new Mimby 2 that incorporates the new USB sometime in the future. The new USB is just now going out to beta testers and is not in production yet.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #40,275 of 151,951
I know that this NOT the case. My Modi Multibit was only played with SPDIF, and I didn't even hook a USB cable up to it.

When the review unit of the Gungnir MB arrived, with Gen5 USB, I put it into direct comparison with the SPDIF feed, which was almost identical. And I put it up against the onboard DAC in the PS Audio Sprout100 and said, that if you were to purchase the new Sprout, that an external DAC would not be necessary. Steve Guttenberg mentions a "haze" in the USB stage of the Sprout and suggested a Schiit Modi Uber as an external DAC.

I listened to Beck, "Morning Phase" (2014)-- the same passage as Steve, and not only did I NOT hear any haze, I could hardly tell the difference between the Modi 2 (Delta/Sigma) and the Sprout DAC. Even the Modi Multibit (new version) only made slight improvements in a USB to USB test. Not enough to justify a $249 investment, when the Sprout100 will handle your USB duties very well.

Of course, if you already have a Schiit external DAC, you can feed it into the Sprout ANALOG inputs, and it sounds even better. My system is playing a 24-bit UltraMatrix soundboard recording of the Grateful Dead 1986-12-27 (139730--shnid)
with the SPDIF feed on my network into Gumby, and then into Sprout. Wow! Just WOW!

It's a joke. Earlier in this thread, I jokingly told Jason he should introduce an Yggy, Jr. to consolidate the MB DAC line like he did with the Modi (Delta-Sigma) and Magni line. He then posted an image of the Modi MB with the name removed and replaced with the name Yggy, Jr!!! :D

10173205.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back