Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 15, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #40,232 of 151,950
Yes, the RasPi is a powerful little computer, and yes, I can see where they could make it so integral in their designs, and end dependency on outside suppliers like SHARC. Maybe I heard it wrong, but Mike's "new" USB will be a simpler design, which shows improved sound quality. I cannot see them going anyway but Open Source... Which reminds me of a huge international news agency which I worked with. The Brain-Trust on Fleet Street in London decided in the mid-1990s that they needed a closed-system solution for digital picture distribution.

Every major Newspaper and Magazine had bought into the AP Picture Desk, which was based on ".jpg". But, the snooty Brits just had to be different.

So they gave a butt-load of Capital to a start-up who designed the Phoenix T-One. They paid a software engineer BIG BUCKs to design a "proprietary algorithm" that only folks with Reuter's receivers could use... Only later did our guy in Detroit figure out that their "exclusive proprietary algorithm" was a software code that said: "If a photo is ".JPG", rename to ".CMP". And if you changed the "word length" from 2048 (max size in pixels on long edge) you could use their Nikon Scanner and computer to make your own ".jpgs".

Shortly after that, the chief photographer called up Leaf Systems and ordered 10 new Leafax transmitters--just like the AP--for $25K per unit. (I have Number 775 sitting here right now)

Although an advocate of open source in general and the innovation that it can enable, from a business pov it needs careful handling. I'll call oiut my point in my previous post (above): I believe that Schiit's approach of using industry standard connectors and protocols and innovating "inside" those connections is the ultimate smart. There are those areas that one should be agnostic about and those where a tactical decision (re-implementing USB? :) ) should occaisionally be done.

I forget who made the point about USB needing to have "the improvements" at both ends, I do hope that Schiit will license (or otherwise make available) their implemntations so that the whole audio chain ca=n enjoy the benefit.

Cheers

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #40,233 of 151,950
Schiit already employs SHARC processors for many of the sophisticated functions and controls required by their designs. Adapting that (or a version of that) to other functions such as receiving a music data stream from a server is a programming challenge, but not the same as adding a "Pi" device. Their own version of a "pi" like device, perhaps.
I understood they were hitting to the limits of the SHARKS and therefore were triggered to come to something with more capacity for what they want to do now and in the unknown future. I really like the name; you can actually say then that you’ve a SchiitPi inside

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #40,234 of 151,950
Analog Devices will tell you that the new dual-core SHARCs are every bit as capable and faster than the ARM Cortex that Pi and many others run, so it's just a matter if which SOC you choose. And, as someone who works for a semiconductor industry hardware manufacturer I can tell you it's not just about hardware horsepower, it's about programming. Indeed, it's mostly about programming...
A great understatement.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #40,235 of 151,950
"Just a heads-up, Schiit is not into open source. They hold their designs close; both hardware and software." --FrivolsListener

Does Schiit support open-source development or are your designs and software closely held secrets?
Supporting open source and employing in product are very different things. :)

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #40,236 of 151,950
Analog Devices will tell you that the new dual-core SHARCs are every bit as capable and faster than the ARM Cortex that Pi and many others run, so it's just a matter if which SOC you choose. And, as someone who works for a semiconductor industry hardware manufacturer I can tell you it's not just about hardware horsepower, it's about programming. Indeed, it's mostly about programming...
That is why i like sonarworks on my iMac, they did some fine coding that runs great and stable with good result into my glass pipe

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #40,238 of 151,950
Eureka is next door, so I'll go and check :)
Loved that show. Went off the rails a bit (for me) in later seasons. Heh, I blame warehouse 13 for my interest in glass tubes sticking out of my (future) headphone amplifier. Sure, I was born in the age of transistors (1970, eh). It’s so odd seeing a resurgence of obsolete (!?) technology. :ksc75smile: Hybidization... happens in botany and apparently in electronics. What’s old is new again...

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #40,239 of 151,950
Can those SHARK's be hacked?
Damn... don't tell my students that. I wonder if that’s one reason why @SchiitFerBrainz doesn’t show the viewer what’s on the displays when the assemblers flash the boards (reverse engineering). Perhaps Schiit does use encryption on their chips. I don’t wanna know. I still have flashbacks of bricking my wife’s work laptop during a BIOS update.
I want my Modi to have a happy, incorruptible SHARC. (Sp?).

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #40,240 of 151,950
Oct 15, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #40,241 of 151,950
Oct 15, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #40,242 of 151,950
FYI...

I just noticed that the Schiit B-stock went from zero to a long list today:
http://www.schiit.com/b-stocks
The Schiit ModiMB are heavily discounted! I dont regret buying mine last year (if you were to ask me how different it sounds, I couldn’t tell you.... ah well). My Vali’s on its way to me and that should keep me happy for a bit (as I listen to the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet)...

{EDIT}… no Lyr3s in the list. ...?…

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #40,243 of 151,950
Yep, but the top-end SHARCs are spendy, as well as speedy. And ARM has many, ah, arms. At least as I understand it.
.... And I think this is one of the big reasons for going to ARM. Schiit can't make Cheap Products(CP) if they are sending all the money to Analog Devices.

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #40,244 of 151,950
Oct 15, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #40,245 of 151,950
I know, but one can dream, can't they?

(How about selling RPi compatible Magni-style enclosures, then?? -- One can dream, can't they??)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back