Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 6, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #39,437 of 149,789
:relieved: :beers:

Here's my college dropouts

Yeah, but do they make a mess, leave the TV on and jack with the AC. Do they start crying, say you hate them, and say they don't even want to be here but they have no where else to go, when you point out that they need to clean-up after themselves and remind them that while electricity may seem free, it is really not? :unamused:

(It's really not that bad. Close but not THAT bad. Slow day on the thread and I thought I'd take a little dramatic license.)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #39,439 of 149,789
Oct 6, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #39,440 of 149,789
So I'm calling this new amp Ager, not Eyegir. :neutral_face:

Oct 6, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #39,441 of 149,789
LOL. Quite the 'Plug' there Jay. Although I admire (veteran) start-up "stories", understand the Schiit brands reputation (to my mind) is terribly lacking.
It appears any (resonable, polite -and even articulate) questions regarding some dubious claims, or product/performance claification -or further explanation is of absolutely no interest to you and your business pal Mike.
Personally, I have a few examples, but I'll leave you with thid one: in effort to reduce the near-burning-hot chassis of my Modi-2 Uber, I had a friend (who I thought had some expertise in the field -lol) drill some "precision' holes in the top-plate. Well, one section was done beautifully -but he messed up the other.
And so, I called to purchase a new top-plate (that I was refused) but also to ask why the single transistor became so hot -agan , some lame, indifferent answer.

Perhaps I should a start a book: The Most Improbable Critic (shines light into how owner "personalities" influence tthe success, or demise of a company)

pj

Perhaps you would have gotten a somewhat different reception from Schiit had you simply contacted them with your concerns first, *before* you
took it upon yourself to put the unit under a drill-press and start knocking holes in it. :thinking:???

Is there a known heating issue with the Modi-2 Uber? Did you investigate this and make any queries in Schiit users forums?

Btw: It might also be good to consider that expecting a manufacturer to be able to (or even be willing to ) diagnose a circuit problem via telephone conversation with a non-engineer (such as yourself), this I would suggest is an *unrealistic* expectation.

Personally, I have heard almost entirely very positive reports about Schiit customer service and their repair policies.

I suspect that had you taken a more conciliatory, less adversarial tack with Schiit right from the beginning, and proceeded within the normal warranty/repair claim protocol, this would most likely have resulted in a more positive outcome.

My two cents...

--Good Luck

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #39,442 of 149,789
So I'm calling this new amp Ager, not Eyegir. :neutral_face:

I'm calling it Eyore ...

Eeyore.gif

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #39,444 of 149,789
Perhaps you would have received a somewhat different reception from Schiit had you simply contacted them with your concerns first, *before* your
took it upon yourself to put the unit under a drill-press and start knocking holes in it. :thinking:???

tumblr_mye05xNX5C1s02vreo1_400.gif

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #39,445 of 149,789
@TomSix

I apologize if too much offense was taken on my end. I actually agree with your point about "all in one" products. Personally I don't like them much at all. Being able to mix and match components and change pieces out is a major advantage, in my opinion. This is especially true of products which mix traditional analog components with digital ones, as the latter become outdated much more quickly.

To that point, the Class D power amp in the Magni chassis I pondered would very much be a single function device, and it would match with Schiit's existing modular budget lineup.

As for the pondered integrated amp, I think pairing a power amplifier and a preamplifier (both analog components) doesn't have a ton of compromises (though of course there are some) and offers a convenience many appreciate. I did mentioned a modular spot for a DAC, but that's mostly because Schiit already does that in many of their other products. Truth be told, it's not a functionality I am much interested in myself, but I can see the value of it for others, and I don't think having that small reserved space detracts much at all for those that would rather use a standalone DAC or phono preamp (though I would still love to see Schiit make an inexpensive card that turns that spot into an extra line level input). I personally prefer separates (I use a Saga and Vidar) in my system, but I could see a Saga sized integrated amp being perfect for a secondary system, or for people who just aren't as into hi-fi.

I have set up many friends and family members with budget systems (often using Schiits budget line of products) that they appreciate. In the vast majority of cases, they do not convert to full audiophiles and start purchasing more expensive gear. However, they still appreciate the higher quality that is offered by real components (even cheaper ones) made by serious companies, over the average bluetooth speaker or headphone. I think Schiit sells a lot of products to these types of people and I think that's a very good thing. Jason says over and over again that Magni and Modi (or Fulla) might be the only headphone amp and DAC you ever need, and I take him to mean that seriously. I don't think those products are meant only as a means to get potential customers to start buying Schiit's more expensive gear, though of course some people will and that's great for Schiit.

I suggested the products I did with the assumption that Schiit would take the same approach to them as Magni/Modi. Meaning that I only wish those products to exist if they are good products that offer good performance to price ratios and function as profitable stand-alone products in Schiit's lineup. If it is in fact impossible to make such a product with Class D topologies, then so be it.

To comment on the story you told about the tube amp, the real tragedy to me is thinking that the only options they have are selling the $2k version at little profit and hoping that people will then purchase the $20k version, or not selling the $2k version at all. (To be clear, I'm not suggesting you are doing this). They could instead sell the $2k version for $2.5k or $3k, and make enough profit off of it to be perfectly fine if no one upgrades to their more expensive gear. After all, they would still be offering 80% of the performance for 1/7th the price. Not to mention at least some people who would still upgrade to the $20k version and then they would make even more. I'm no expert in these matters, but it's a model that seems to work splendidly for Schiit, and it's one I can personally appreciate as a customer. Offering good (and profitable) products for different people at different price points that can be enjoyed as-is indefinitely or upgraded later is great for the seller and the buyer.

Once again, you make some good, well-stated points. I still maintain, however, product differentiation (both between one's in-house products, and in comparison to the products of other manufacturers) and price point selection are critical considerations.

On the $2K amp I described: actually, I strongly suspect the manufacturer would need to increase the unit price closer to $4-5K, to make a reasonable profit. They could (IMO should) have chosen a somewhat different tube lineup and/or power-output rating to maintain a more clear product differentiation from their flagship $20K amplifier.

I feel I'm in substantial agreement with a number of your thoughts, but do nonetheless believe the caveats I mention are significant.

Good conversation! :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #39,446 of 149,789
Ok so all this talk about wifi routers etc has brought up a long term research project I'm trying to gain some traction with.

Does anyone know of any wifi routers where I can reduce the wifi signal power that is radiated from the device?
I looked at the unbiquity site and there doesn't appear to be a way to even ask this question, which I find odd.

And they are not alone in not being able to ask a pre-sales question and actually get a knowledgeable answer.

Perhaps there is a website that will cover this topic but thus far I have not found it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks JJ

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #39,447 of 149,789
Interesting, and ten watts in class A may be quite enough for my purposes with the speakers I have in mind.

FWIW: Send 10-watts per-channel of Class-A power into a pair of Tekton 'Lore' loudspeakers, and the walls will shake --very satisfyingly. Personal experience...

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #39,448 of 149,789
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #39,449 of 149,789
Does anyone know if Aegir has a light to tell you when it is in or out of class A? :smirk:

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #39,450 of 149,789
Name: Aegir
Constant transconductance design (like Lyr 3)
Stereo: 20W into 8 Ohm, 40W into 4 Ohm; also works as dual mono, double the numbers
For those that don't know where the flyer pic is posted ... :ksc75smile:

Stereo 8/4 Ohms: 20W/40W RMS
Mono 8/4 Ohms: 80W/160W RMS

Edit: Oops, didn't realise that the post was from 7 hours ago :flushed:
you Americans and your funny time zones :confused:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back