1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Ripper2860
    Give them time. :D

2. Oveja Negra
    Aggy sounds like someone who is choking on food. I hope nobody dies because the rest didn't pay attention to that poor fella, thinking he was mentioning a new amp that only hifi nerds care about.

sam6550a, the finisher and Paladin79 like this.
  3. Paladin79
    Lol, I was messing with Ripper a bit, he is a good friend and honestly I should not be mentioning college football right now since my hometown university team is about to get decimated this afternoon.

Back to work for me, one device I am building is for him but I am still waiting for parts.

CAPT Deadpool and Oveja Negra like this.
  4. the finisher
    "Maybe it will become a contraction, Aggy or some such." Ager would work. pronounced A Gerr.

Eyegerr just sounds stupid.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  5. earnmyturns
    Don't know, I was just typing a summary of the Schiit flyer pic I saw elsewhere. But your guess makes sense to me.

6. earnmyturns
    RCA for stereo, XLR for dual mono.

liamo and the finisher like this.
  7. riffrafff
    [​IMG]

8. Oveja Negra
    Man, I thought I was the only one who hated those girly nicknames. The worst part is since everyone calls it Yggy a million times, at the end you end saying Yggy too. It's like when you hate a pop song from some crap artist like Beyonce, but one day when doing your chores, you catch yourself humming it, cause you've already heard it a million times in your office, the supermarket, on the bus, etc.

Ahh, the tribulations of being an elitist music lover :D

barondla, Byronb, RCBinTN and 3 others like this.
  9. Rensek
    Yeah I am wondering about that myself, my understanding is that most speakers get to a relatively loud volume levels in the first few watts, and there is some diminishing returns in the fact that it takes progressively more watts to obtain each successive decibel. Add all that together with me being a noob, who has no audio stores around, and I have no clear idea how well a lower wattage amp like this will drive the speakers I have in mind, to the db level I want.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  10. the finisher
    The Elacs really need power from what I've heard, @Ripper2860 has UniFi's

11. Ripper2860
    ^^^ Agreed, although my ELACs are 4 ohm, they still thrive when you give ithem a somewhat hefty amp. I drive mine with my Cambridge CXA60, which delivers 90w at 4 ohms. I can't imagine the 'juice' needed to power 8 ohm ELACs. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but they are place-holders until I get 'Maggies'. :wink:

brookbri, Rensek and the finisher like this.
  12. the finisher
    Maybe I'll buy em, I should rename myself "the collector" :wink:

Just upgraded to a used Anthem i225, the LS50 has never sounded better.

2 Vidar minimum power wise IMO.

Rensek and Ripper2860 like this.
  13. earnmyturns
    dB is a log scale for power ratios. +3dB = 2 x power. So, going from 10W to 20W = 2 x power = 3dB. So, it's nothing to do with the amp or speaker, but with the scale used. The reason log power ratio is used is that human hearing responds (very approximately) to log power. My learned colleague Richard Lyon puts it as follows in his excellent book Human and Machine Hearing (warning, some math needed to read it): "It is also often said that we perceive loudness on a logarithmic scale. Doubling the power [...] of a sound wave corresponds to what engineers call a 3 decibel increase [...] Each doubling of power sounds to us more like a certain increment in loudness than a certain factor in loudness — or so some would claim, even though it's far from a good fit to reality."

CAPT Deadpool, TomSix, Rensek and 2 others like this.
  14. rkw
  15. Paladin79
    LOL, I appreciate the comments. IMG_0123.jpg Here is one of the test fixtures I am building for an employee, she is a Colts fan so she will like the blue and white cabinet. I will most likely incorporate a Coaster amp on the inside as well as a small DAP.

barondla, MWSVette, FLTWS and 6 others like this.