1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Oklahoma
    Here it is in mine. I have the 2G band set to low power and the 5G band to auto. This forces most things to connect to the 5G band. I found that if both were set to auto it would try and balance the load and so devices like my phone would connect only to the 2G as devices that stayed in connected would connect to the 5G band when I wasn't home then it would balance the load and put new devices on the 2G band.

AP setting 1.PNG

Mike-WI and the finisher like this.
  2. liquidsmote
    It's been a while but Tomato used to support this too, but I haven't used that in a looooong time.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    riffrafff likes this.
  3. dieslemat
    I kkow the mj2 has preamp but never thought anyone would use it connected to a vidar/aegir.

4. dieslemat
    Yeah this would be a nice addition.

But I do have a question on determining the wattage. So if you have a 20w power amp and you have a preamp set to no gain. Would it be safe to say that if the volume of the preamp is at 12 o’clock then the amp is around 10w?

5. earnmyturns
    Out for live music, will check at home tomorrow.

riffrafff and the finisher like this.
  6. the finisher
    You could use a Jot as well if you want SS and no remote, but I'd bet it would sound good for $400.
    Or if You already have one. :thinking:

dieslemat likes this.
  7. Ableza
    No. The only thing that would be 'safe to say" is the preamp volume control is at 12 o'clock. It is nearly impossible to say that uncalibrated consumer dial settings mean anything. Also, amplifier power output is determined by both the input level and by the loudspeaker impedance.

barondla, sam6550a, gljus and 4 others like this.
  8. Ableza
    I want no lights on my amps, thank you.

RCBinTN likes this.
  9. the finisher
    Outside of a clipping light, I see no point.

RCBinTN and Ableza like this.
  10. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    oh yes and it works really wel.

RCBinTN and the finisher like this.
  11. dieslemat

Lol @Pietro Cozzi Tinin i asked you last year if the ragnarok with a vidar sounded great and you said the opposite things. so as a summary of what youve told me:

Mj2 + Vidar = works well
    Rag + Vidar = sound degraded

12. Ableza
    When I was young I liked to turn it up until the clipping light was flashing.. Rock and roll, man.

13. the finisher
    Thing is I'm not young :L3000: Younger than many here though.

I'd just like to see the light then back it away.:wink:

ItsAllInMyHead likes this.
  14. TomSix
    The short answer is: No.

It depends on what the gain of the amplifier is; what RMS voltage the music/signal source (CD player, DAC, whatever) is feeding to the amplifier; what the particular resistance curve of the volume control is, etc...

To take the subject even further: Volume controls almost always follow a logarithmic curve. The relationship between subjectively perceived loudness vs actual power/SPL and is not a linear one.

This is a fairly complex subject: http://www.lindos.co.uk/cgi-bin/FlexiData.cgi?SOURCE=Articles&VIEW=full&id=17

15. Derrick Swart
    Eargear!

DougD, Paladin79 and the finisher like this.