Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 6, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #39,467 of 151,658
Here it is in mine. I have the 2G band set to low power and the 5G band to auto. This forces most things to connect to the 5G band. I found that if both were set to auto it would try and balance the load and so devices like my phone would connect only to the 2G as devices that stayed in connected would connect to the 5G band when I wasn't home then it would balance the load and put new devices on the 2G band.

AP setting 1.PNG

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #39,468 of 151,658
There is also a version of DDWRT for some Netgear routers, as well.

It's been a while but Tomato used to support this too, but I haven't used that in a looooong time.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #39,469 of 151,658
b. used as duo mono e.g. from MJ2, this is 80w per chanel, far more than enough for any application I have. Thus I will get full advantage of a balanced DAC fed to a Balanced amp fed to mono-block power amps. Yes, I have enjoyed music for decades without all that, but you understand.

I kkow the mj2 has preamp but never thought anyone would use it connected to a vidar/aegir.

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #39,470 of 151,658
Does anyone know if Aegir has a light to tell you when it is in or out of class A? :smirk:

Yeah this would be a nice addition.

But I do have a question on determining the wattage. So if you have a 20w power amp and you have a preamp set to no gain. Would it be safe to say that if the volume of the preamp is at 12 o’clock then the amp is around 10w?

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #39,471 of 151,658
Ok so all this talk about wifi routers etc has brought up a long term research project I'm trying to gain some traction with.

Does anyone know of any wifi routers where I can reduce the wifi signal power that is radiated from the device?
I looked at the unbiquity site and there doesn't appear to be a way to even ask this question, which I find odd.

And they are not alone in not being able to ask a pre-sales question and actually get a knowledgeable answer.

Perhaps there is a website that will cover this topic but thus far I have not found it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks JJ
Out for live music, will check at home tomorrow.

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #39,472 of 151,658
I know the mj2 has preamp but never thought anyone would use it connected to a vidar/aegir.

You could use a Jot as well if you want SS and no remote, but I'd bet it would sound good for $400.
Or if You already have one. :thinking:

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #39,473 of 151,658

But I do have a question on determining the wattage. So if you have a 20w power amp and you have a preamp set to no gain. Would it be safe to say that if the volume of the preamp is at 12 o’clock then the amp is around 10w?
No. The only thing that would be 'safe to say" is the preamp volume control is at 12 o'clock. It is nearly impossible to say that uncalibrated consumer dial settings mean anything. Also, amplifier power output is determined by both the input level and by the loudspeaker impedance.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #39,475 of 151,658
Outside of a clipping light, I see no point.

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #39,477 of 151,658
Oct 6, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #39,478 of 151,658
Outside of a clipping light, I see no point.
When I was young I liked to turn it up until the clipping light was flashing.. Rock and roll, man.

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #39,479 of 151,658
Thing is I'm not young :L3000: Younger than many here though.

I'd just like to see the light then back it away.:wink:

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #39,480 of 151,658

The short answer is: No.

It depends on what the gain of the amplifier is; what RMS voltage the music/signal source (CD player, DAC, whatever) is feeding to the amplifier; what the particular resistance curve of the volume control is, etc...

To take the subject even further: Volume controls almost always follow a logarithmic curve. The relationship between subjectively perceived loudness vs actual power/SPL and is not a linear one.

This is a fairly complex subject: http://www.lindos.co.uk/cgi-bin/FlexiData.cgi?SOURCE=Articles&VIEW=full&id=17

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back