Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 27, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #35,596 of 151,944
It's sounding like an amp and a Class A amp at that!!!

Woohoo!!! <fingers crossed>

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #35,597 of 151,944
I own a Jotunheim with the phono module and a Mimby. To me the biggest compromise with using modules in the Jotunheim or Lyr3 is that if you want to use the Loki Mini you can't with the module unless you only use the Jotumheim as a preamp/phono or preamp/dac and amp with another device. Doing Saga 2 and Freya 2 with the modules makes more sense to me.

I see your point, and though my situation is different, I agree.

I have a Lyr 3 without any modules, it’s fed from a Squeezebox with Digital coax to Bifrost. USB-only in the module wouldn’t work for the squeezebox feed, so it wasn’t a consideration for me.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #35,598 of 151,944
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #35,599 of 151,944
I've stopped my PC component obsession, now it's audio gear.

One does not simply stop.

I have audio-, computer- and photography gear, and mechanical watches obsessions running simultaneously.

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #35,600 of 151,944
I actually turn Schiit off when not in use. The Eaton whole house suppressor I used is only $100 on amazon.

most of the tripplite isobars I have were less than that. In addition to protecting your gear they can prevent noise traveling from device to device and the supperssors also offer guarantees to reimburse you if your equipment does get fried. If you think about it $100 plus installation is better than replacing all apliances and if your on this website expensive electronics.

If anything ever did damage my electronics I carry guaranteed replacement cost coverage on my homeowners. Standard insurance might say an item is ten years old and pro-rate the value. In my case I would get all new equipment regardless of age. I did have a washing machine hose break and flood my downstairs so that coverage came in handy some years back. Even vinyl albums were covered because the sleeves were damaged. I have never had a major lightning strike or power surge but I have worked on plenty of equipment that had such damage and I was fortunate to get half of it going so I am more apt to be cautious.

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #35,601 of 151,944
Smart move!

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #35,603 of 151,944
One does not simply stop.

I have audio-, computer- and photography gear, and mechanical watches obsessions running simultaneously.

I was able to get out of computers and photography... Other than a couple bodies and lenses that I still like/use or are no longer worth much and I refuse to give them away, I sold most of my photography gear (some for a decent profit), unfortunately I have a couple other expensive hobbies that took it's place...

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #35,604 of 151,944
I don't game as much now that I'm listening to more music in my spare time.:ksc75smile:

Although I will still be buying PC components hopefully on a well thought out, as needed basis.
Something I hardly did when getting the latest, greatest gpu/cpu, now I just don't care as much

@Scott Kramer cool older post, lol.
Nice that Jason listens to his customers.

Quick thoughts on the ~18W VidAr. I think you have to build it, revise it, massage it, tear it down, blow it up out back, see if it blends, anvil fire it*. Caveat is... it has to sound *AMAZING* and absolutely *BLOW* away the high power Vidar, else what's the point. That could be the clear distinction/simplification/non-confusion... the little gem to get, spread by word of mouth. Documentation/FAQ/Full Page AD could be: This will NOT power every speaker on the planet.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #35,605 of 151,944
I never did game but was a serious flight simmer from 98 until 2 years ago when I got back into audio with HP's and Schiit.

"@Scott Kramer cool older post, lol."

Yep!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #35,606 of 151,944
Most "gaming" I did/do are sim type games, never been a shooter guy.
I'd like to build a full on racing sim someday.

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #35,609 of 151,944
Most "gaming" I did/do are sim type games, never been a shooter guy.
I'd like to build a full on racing sim someday.

I used to be addicted to 1st person shooters back in the Quake 3, Couterstrike, RTCW, etc... days. Now the only "game" I play is Gran Turismo Sport mainly because it actually helps with racing in real life (for me at least). However now that you can actually make some real $$$ gaming I've been considering getting back into it, I just don't know if I have the reflexes for it anymore...

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #35,610 of 151,944
Indeed it was. Both the old one on Claremont and the "new" one in Jack London Square. My ex-wife was the project manager for the latter when it was built and she worked for the Port of Oakland!
Yoshi's had a good run, but the combination of the new SFJAZZ center having a lot to offer and the insane East Bay traffic has kept us away for the last several years, unfortunately. These days, besides SFJAZZ, Kuumbwa in Santa Cruz is getting a lot of the newer music. Some venues in the South Bay are also getting good music, like Cafe Stritch in San Jose. Even Stanford is getting into the act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back