Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #35,567 of 154,123
LOL Street Lights. The Red Light district is 1 county south.

Jul 26, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #35,568 of 154,123
My father (master electrician) installed a whole house surge suppressor for me. They are not super expensive. Labor will likely cost more. Then all my Schiit and HT are further plugged in to triplite isobars
My audio gear and other electronics is well protected but I am the only one who uses it and I am away 12 hours a day during the week. Sitting inside my cabinet and with power switches on the back of many items it is not easy for me to just power up a couple pieces of equipment so I tend to do all or nothing. On a given day I can have several pieces of test equipment turned on as well. :) YMMV

Jul 26, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #35,569 of 154,123
Jul 26, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #35,570 of 154,123
Jul 26, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #35,572 of 154,123
I have a Bifrost Multibit for my headphone rig and a Modi Multibit for my 2-channel system and my experience is that they definitely need a warm-up period before sounding good. To my ears they sound 'messy' in the treble when cold. After they warm up the sounds falls into place. YMMV, as usual.

I suggested that one should always leave external DACs powered on and merely recited what others have said Schiit has said about non-Yggy MB warm-up. In my mind the real question is relative to the DAC Option card in a Lyr 3 tube amp. I understand that it will not be optimal at the initial power-on, but how long after power-on before the MB DAC option card stabilizes and achieves optimal operating temp? Maybe with the internal heat of the tube-based Lyr 3, it is something that occurs in a few minutes as opposed to a few hours. Given that one does not want to leave tube amps on 24x7, I'm sure that's what those considering the DAC option card in a Lyr 3 really want to know. As far as I know, this has not been specifically addressed by Schiit, but then again, maybe it has and I just have not seen it. :)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #35,573 of 154,123
So my Americana playlist gave me this "gem" the other day. I know many people this song applies too (family, friends, acquaintances) It sums up life in the non metropolitan areas of America very well, for better or for worse, depending on your point of view. This song illicits many opinions from me.

James McMurty - Choctaw Bingo

Listen to the lyrics, I haven't heard of this guy before. I like the musicality, but man, the lyrics .... I'm not sure if I want to see what else he has written. Reminds me of a modern David Allan Coe.....

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #35,574 of 154,123
Mike Moffat said in his blog thread that in his opinion, just leave DACs powered on all the time for best performance. He went so far as to say he resisted putting a power switch int hem at all but only did so because it he thought people would freak out without one. Me, I leave my DACs on all the time.

I leave my whole system on and playing 24/7/365 even if I'm gone on vacation...

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #35,575 of 154,123
Hey all,

Looks like I might not be getting to that chapter this week, but it'll be next week for sure.

This week simply went a bit sideways. I thought I was pretty much done with a new product, and ended up not being done at all. In fact, i spent most of the week doing a very painful rip-up-and-start-over re-do of grounding for a prototype I'm playing with. It seems that when you're running, say, 10x the standing current of, say, a Vidar, the grounding you thought was so slick can go kinda whomper-jawed.

(It's funny--it doesn't hum badly with no input connected, but shorting the inputs is hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm city. Oh yeah, and by "hmmmmmmmmmmmm city" I should qualify that as "still being 90db below 0dbV," or, in human-speak, you need to put your ear to the woofer of a typical loudspeaker in order to hear it. But if you're talking some hyper-efficient horn-loaded design, that might not work out. And we can do better. And saying "it's fine until there's an input connected" is right up there with "it works great until you actually try to use it.")

In other news, we're getting down to the wire on Sol. Mike proved out the last component--the 2-speed pulley--with a 3D-printed prototype and that's now off to production. Tony's taking the lead on wrangling this complex mechanical beast, so now we have someone dedicated to the project other than Mike and I, since both of us sometimes have the attention span of---

---what was I talking about?

In any case, I'll talk to you soon,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 26, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #35,578 of 154,123
Man,as soon as I read that part about "10x the standing current of a Vidar" I was like... what...in...the...

FWx11ea.png

Jul 26, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #35,579 of 154,123
So my Americana playlist gave me this "gem" the other day. I know many people this song applies too (family, friends, acquaintances) It sums up life in the non metropolitan areas of America very well, for better or for worse, depending on your point of view. This song illicits many opinions from me.

James McMurty - Choctaw Bingo

Listen to the lyrics, I haven't heard of this guy before. I like the musicality, but man, the lyrics .... I'm not sure if I want to see what else he has written. Reminds me of a modern David Allan Coe.....

James McMurtry can be very somber, but he can be funny too.

Talented song writer/musician, who just happens to be the son of Larry McMurtry, author of "Lonesome Dove" and many other books.

You should explore more of his music, he's the kind of artist that grows on you.

Jul 26, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #35,580 of 154,123
In my mind the real question is relative to the DAC Option card in a Lyr 3 tube amp. I understand that it will not be optimal at the initial power-on, but how long after power-on before the MB DAC option card stabilizes and achieves optimal operating temp? Maybe with the internal heat of the tube-based Lyr 3, it is something that occurs in a few minutes as opposed to a few hours. Given that one does not want to leave tube amps on 24x7, I'm sure that's what those considering the DAC option card in a Lyr 3 really want to know. As far as I know, this has not been specifically addressed by Schiit, but then again, maybe it has and I just have not seen it. :)

That is an interesting question. Given my own experience with multibit DACs I too wonder long it would take for the multibit DAC card in Lyr 3 to sound its best. Of course, you could argue that by the time the tube and the amp itself has reached a good operating temperature the multibit DAC chips have reached their optimal operating temperature as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back