Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #35,551 of 153,741
I leave my Bimby on 24/7, only turning it off for about a minute once a month allowing the Bimby to reboot and reset...

Jul 26, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #35,552 of 153,741
I leave my 2 year old Yggy power switch in the on position all the time unless I go away for several days or weeks then I pull the wall plugs on my audio and home theater rigs, (or when my local power utility plays lets see how many times we can cycle power on/off in 5 minutes - which they seem to do several times a year). It sounds fine after about 2 to 3 days back on.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #35,553 of 153,741
I keep my Mimby and Jot on all the time, only unplugging when there is lightning in the area. In the summer that's quite frequent (S. Florida).

I remember Mike stating that Mimby only takes a few hours to reach its INL spec. And I've noticed as I've put more hours on my newish Jotunheim that it sounds back to normal after about an hour.

Jul 26, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #35,554 of 153,741
Talking about power related issues, just yesterday the lower part of my county made the TV news out of Philly when a whole community had all electrical appliances (ranges, microwaves, refrigerators, air conditioners, etc.-anything that is usually always plugged in) in their homes blow out as well as all street and red lights in the area. The news report indicated that residents of the area with damage were to file damage reports with the utility for reimbursement (I hope).

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #35,555 of 153,741
I am not that technical capable as you all.
I leave my Yggdrasil on always and after a power out it takes a few minutes to regain it's sound.
Today I had to tackle a heat problem.
It's very warm here and my Ragnarok got increasingly hotter up to the point where I couldn't touch it anymore.
Not even the volume knob.
So I browsed my electrodump in the cellar and found 3 fans.
Problem solved.

CFaft.jpg CFstern.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #35,556 of 153,741

Reichert @ Stereophile did a review of the bookshelf version of those. At least, I assume that the 100lbs version you have isn't the bookshelf version.

It would be a bloody amazing shelf that would carry these! Even I am suprised at the size (as the Actress said to the Bishop), I know that I read 48" tall, but boy when the boxes arrive.......

I have studied all the reviews I can find of Tekton (many are linked on Tekton's web site) and spoke to both Eric and the folks in the Schiitr before deciding to test the combination.

I sincerely hope they live up to my expecttations, I'd hate to pack them up again!

Cheers

Jul 26, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #35,557 of 153,741
I have never been a fan of leaving audio equipment on all the time, but I may turn it on early on a Saturday and listen off and on over a weekend or when I get home in the evening. In my case I like having one switch that controls everything and there would be four class A amps running continuously. For me it is mostly about heat and power usage, it is not easy to get to the back of all amps to turn them off and many are tube type.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #35,560 of 153,741
I have never been a fan of leaving audio equipment on all the time,
You are entitled to your opinion, of course. Me, I'll follow the advice of the godfather of digital audio, and do what he suggests for best performance with the gear he designed. YMMV.

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #35,561 of 153,741
Someone posted previously that they received confirmation from Schiit that MB extended warm-up times only truly apply to Yggy due to its unique design and implementation. (It may extend to Gumby, given the similarities between it and Yggy, but that just me saying that.)

So the word is that according to Schiit, the MB extended warm-up concerns do not apply to the Bifrost MB, Modi 2 MB, or the MB DAC option card, as they reach optimum operational temp shortly after power-on.

I have a Bifrost Multibit for my headphone rig and a Modi Multibit for my 2-channel system and my experience is that they definitely need a warm-up period before sounding good. To my ears they sound 'messy' in the treble when cold. After they warm up the sounds falls into place. YMMV, as usual.

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #35,562 of 153,741
Talking about power related issues, just yesterday the lower part of my county made the TV news out of Philly when a whole community had all electrical appliances (ranges, microwaves, refrigerators, air conditioners, etc.-anything that is usually always plugged in) in their homes blow out as well as all street and red lights in the area. The news report indicated that residents of the area with damage were to file damage reports with the utility for reimbursement (I hope).

My father (master electrician) installed a whole house surge suppressor for me. They are not super expensive. Labor will likely cost more. Then all my Schiit and HT are further plugged in to triplite isobars

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #35,563 of 153,741
... just yesterday the lower part of my county ,,, all red lights in the area. .
So what you are saying is you live in a red light district?

:ksc75smile:

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #35,564 of 153,741
I have a Bifrost Multibit for my headphone rig and a Modi Multibit for my 2-channel system and my experience is that they definitely need a warm-up period before sounding good. To my ears they sound 'messy' in the treble when cold. After they warm up the sounds falls into place. YMMV, as usual.

I will keep that in mind. I still primarily listen to vinyl and only use my Modi Multibit a couple times a month, so I do not consider it worthwhile to leave it on all the time. That being said, I may turn it on and let it warm up for a longer period now before listening.

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #35,565 of 153,741

I use a mimby in both hp and 2ch. I believe the mimby sounds great upon startup, but I do think the sound is improved after a couple of hours. If I don't leave it on over night, I will start it up in the morning when I come into work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back