Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #35,522 of 151,951
Veni, Vidi, Vidar!

Hey, that would look good on a T-shirt!

Love my Saga & Vidar!

I have a Freya and Vidar and am loving them. They will be hooked up to Tekton DoubleImpacts (that arrived yesterday) in due course. Unfortunately, surgeons intervened to remove my appendix in the middle of Tuesday night and I now have a 10lb lifting limit for six weeks. Since the DIs are ober 100lbs apiece I shall have to find a helper to get them hooked up :frowning2:(

They were "wife approved" before purchase, but when she saw the box size she has reserved judgement. These things are huge! The Freight guy kindly positioned the boxes, so they are standing there taunting me....

:frowning2:(

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #35,523 of 151,951
I own a Jotunheim with the phono module and a Mimby. To me the biggest compromise with using modules in the Jotunheim or Lyr3 is that if you want to use the Loki Mini you can't with the module unless you only use the Jotumheim as a preamp/phono or preamp/dac and amp with another device. Also since it's one in and one out RCA it doesn't do balanced and your limited to one device upstream unless your using a Sys, Saga, or Freya. Doing Saga 2 and Freya 2 with the modules makes more sense to me. Ideally with the ability to pull any modules we have already (In my case the phono) and install it in the new upgraded preamps.

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #35,524 of 151,951
Also, I don't use a computer as my source, I use an SSD HD that is plugged into the oppo UDP 205. When I buy new CD's, I just hook it up to the laptop and load my latest ripped flac files, it's a little clunky but it works for me...
Oppo UDP 205 -- ooh, I want that gear!

We use an Oppo BDP-103 but not for ripping CDs.
It's for watching BluRay DVDs and listening together on our dual HD800. Usually live music shows.
The rig is: Oppo - toslink - GMB - BHA-1 - HD800 x2.
The video and audio quality is excellent. And, the Oppo's transport is rock solid. :)

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #35,525 of 151,951
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #35,526 of 151,951
I have a Freya and Vidar and am loving them. They will be hooked up to Tekton DoubleImpacts (that arrived yesterday) in due course. Unfortunately, surgeons intervened to remove my appendix in the middle of Tuesday night and I now have a 10lb lifting limit for six weeks. Since the DIs are ober 100lbs apiece I shall have to find a helper to get them hooked up :frowning2:(

They were "wife approved" before purchase, but when she saw the box size she has reserved judgement. These things are huge! The Freight guy kindly positioned the boxes, so they are standing there taunting me....

Wish I was there to hoist them around for you, cause then I could hear them :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #35,527 of 151,951
Also, I don't use a computer as my source, I use an SSD HD that is plugged into the oppo UDP 205. When I buy new CD's, I just hook it up to the laptop and load my latest ripped flac files, it's a little clunky but it works for me...

I buy CDs from secondspin.com and rip them to flac on my server. Their packing is terrible, but through the CDs are claimed to be used, I've only ever had one that was unreadable. If you are prepared to rip (I use EAC) it is a very cost effective way to get high quality sources - the CDs are oten as low as $1.99 (though some are more costly), and then if anyone uses the Honey coupon system, I often get 20-25% additional discount.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #35,528 of 151,951

I have a Freya and Vidar also, hooked up to Salk HT2-TL's which I am really enjoying. I will be interested to hear how the more efficient Tekton DI's sound. Good luck on the recovery.

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #35,529 of 151,951

Congratulations! Can't wait to hear first impressions. I hate to hear about your surgery, but the upside is that you may get some extra listening time, and great music leads to faster healing... I'm sure someone will be able to help you out with the unpacking. Do you have a first track picked?

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #35,530 of 151,951
I do the same with an Oppo 105. Futzed around for 2 years with computer audio. Plugged the computer into the Oppo's dac and was amazed at how much worse it sounded vs plugging external hard drive directly into the Oppo. More convenient (Oppo remote) and better sounding is hard to beat.

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #35,531 of 151,951
220px-The_Alan_Parsons_Project_-_I_Robot.jpg
:L3000:

Another favorite, played side one to death when I had it in vinyl, especially for demos/A-B's etc., I now have it on high quality / re-mastered Mobile Fidelity CD.

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #35,533 of 151,951

Get better soon!

You do need need a helper to get those set up ASAP! I'm sure that listening would help you heal faster!

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #35,534 of 151,951
I have a Freya and Vidar also, hooked up to Salk HT2-TL's which I am really enjoying. I will be interested to hear how the more efficient Tekton DI's sound. Good luck on the recovery.

Salks were the listening setup in the Schiitr when we visited, and I did really like them. Jody was entranced with the whole setup, having listened to music mainly as mp3 on poor devices. I did, briefly, consider the Salks but I have lusted for the DIs for a while now. Also the Salk web site made it so hard to determine what was what that I probably wouldn't have had the patience to stick with it!

I have the vision of my father rotating in his grave saying "You spent HOW MUCH on speakers". :))

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #35,535 of 151,951
Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 10.39.39 AM.png
Congratulations! Can't wait to hear first impressions. I hate to hear about your surgery, but the upside is that you may get some extra listening time, and great music leads to faster healing... I'm sure someone will be able to help you out with the unpacking. Do you have a first track picked?

Thatnks for the thoughts! We just moved (a month yesterday, in that time we have arrived to a dining room celing on the floor due to a flooded bath/bed upstairs, the drying out jets, the remediation and then a collapse on the way to the ER - it has been a rocky start!). On the upside, I implemented Roon on the ROCK and have been converted form a skeptic to a believer. I had run Roon server on an iMac and when that went missing in the move, on a Dell server and neither were entirely satisfactory. The ROCK is the best investment so far!

So, to answer your question, I have a Roon playlist called SoundCheck that has been assembled for that very event! I will probably set it to random play, but the leading contender is "Layla, Wynton Marsalis / Eric Clapton form the Play the Blues: Live at Lincoln Center". If you haven't heard that album it is sublime! Turn up the volume.

If anyone does happen to be in the Research Triangle area, you would be most welcome to come by and listen!

Cheers

Graham

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back