Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #35,506 of 153,736
Anyone here who prefers the Lyr3 over the Asgard 2? And vice versa? Please pm me would like to know more on your thoughts. Ive not heard the asgard or anyother class A amp but im curious about how it stacks to a hybrid tube like the Lyr 3.
I can't give an objective side-by-side comparison, unfortunately, although I've listened to both for long periods of time. My first headamp was the A2, later replaced by a Jot, then that by a non-Schiit headamp (still in use, at work), now a Lyr 3 with a Ken-Rad VT231 tube. From memory, the A2 felt a bit rougher in the mid-high region with some instruments (piano especially), bass is not as solid, transients not as fast, and it does not give the sense of space and instrument separation I get from the Lyr 3. At the time, though, it sounded great :wink:

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #35,507 of 153,736
Yes I heard Tim Cook (head of Apple) say this. I cant recall the exact words but the gist is making things in China is not cheap anymore. They only do it there is because its easy to hire a lot of people with the skillset that they need.

I don't know what he actually said, and you and Tom have provided similar, but slightly different accounts of what he said. We're all close enough to say we're agreed for the majority of the intent.

And you’d be surprised that in other asian countries there college courses that specializes in factory/assembly line disciplines

I'm not surprised, but it's relevant that you mention them. Those types of schools and their associated courses and programs contribute to the skills of our employees and those of our suppliers all over Asia.

-Cheers

@Paladin79 - Yes Foxconn was infamous for some terrible situations.

Back to Schiit - Anyone have experience with Beyerdynamic T5P and Lyr3 (w/ internal MB preferably) combo? I can't get at a Lyr3 to listen to locally. Source would be iPhone or MacBook with Tidal / Qobuz - both over USB, preferably with no intermediary widgets. Thoughts are greatly appreciated. I'll also try it with LS50Ws for fun, but that's not the primary use.

Are the LISST the same for Lyr2 and Lyr3? Lastly, does anyone have an opinion (or facts, preferably) if a separate step-up / step-down transformer would affect SQ with this piece of gear? If there is an effect, does up or down matter? I don't believe I need (50-60Hz / 60-50Hz) frequency conversion do I? It'll affect which voltage/plug I get. Once again, greatly appreciate any info.

Also, seems like some folks live in and/or travel to Asia a decent amount. Who among you might make it to Shanghai for CanJam?

-Cheers

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #35,509 of 153,736
Anyone have experience with Beyerdynamic T5P and Lyr3 (w/ internal MB preferably) combo? I can't get at a Lyr3 to listen to locally. Source would be iPhone or MacBook with Tidal / Qobuz - both over USB, preferably with no intermediary widgets.

Afrer getting info from a lot of folks here, Im also looking at getting the Lyr 3 but would get an external dac (bifrost) for it. Seems that, and correct me if im wrong, the MB dacs may take sometime for it to be on its optimal status. If having the Lyr 3 with the internal MB dac powered on all the time then the tubes may get a shorter lifespan.

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #35,510 of 153,736
I collect Asus ROG Mobos going back years. And yes "Made in Taiwan" is quality usually.

TSMC is there, and a huge foundry, making the largest, most complex GPU's for Nvidia and many other chips, they are huge, and very talented.

Oddly enough Asus is my preferred Mobo Manufacturer when building a PC, I have 2-3 (I think a dell XPS B I bought in 99 has Asus Mobo inside too). Never had any issues with their Mobos. I built one about 2 years ago with Asus Mobo.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #35,514 of 153,736
Oddly enough Asus is my preferred Mobo Manufacturer when building a PC, I have 2-3 (I think a dell XPS B I bought in 99 has Asus Mobo inside too). Never had any issues with their Mobos.

Mine too! Them or MSI. My main gaming/VR/HT all-purpose machine is built with a Maximus IX hero. It's not the end-all-be-all, but it's a nice board. Also FWIW, and slightly more relevant to this thread, the SQ is not atrocious. Their Sonic Studio conflicts with some other audio software (Roon as an example) though. Also, I don't know why, but I don't have USB issues with it. USB de-crappifiers aren't needed (for me) with that machine, and I don't hear issues like I do with some other boxes.

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #35,516 of 153,736
Wasn't it Mike who dropped the CD transport grenade on us? Hope to heck so... Cambridge Audio has one of the few transports I've seen out there at the moment, right around 5 bills, iirc...
Audiolab has one too now. 6000 series i believe

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #35,517 of 153,736
Mine too! Them or MSI. My main gaming/VR/HT all-purpose machine is built with a Maximus IX hero. It's not the end-all-be-all, but it's a nice board. Also FWIW, and slightly more relevant to this thread, the SQ is not atrocious. Their Sonic Studio conflicts with some other audio software (Roon as an example) though. Also, I don't know why, but I don't have USB issues with it. USB de-crappifiers aren't needed (for me) with that machine, and I don't hear issues like I do with some other boxes.

I used to only use Asus or MSI... However It's been well over 10 years since I've even thought about building a new desktop, I've been using laptops exclusively...

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #35,518 of 153,736
Afrer getting info from a lot of folks here, Im also looking at getting the Lyr 3 but would get an external dac (bifrost) for it. Seems that, and correct me if im wrong, the MB dacs may take sometime for it to be on its optimal status. If having the Lyr 3 with the internal MB dac powered on all the time then the tubes may get a shorter lifespan.

I can't confirm or correct.

That is not something I had considered. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and maybe someone can help us out.

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #35,520 of 153,736
Oddly enough Asus is my preferred Mobo Manufacturer when building a PC, I have 2-3 (I think a dell XPS B I bought in 99 has Asus Mobo inside too). Never had any issues with their Mobos. I built one about 2 years ago with Asus Mobo.

I've stopped my PC component obsession, now it's audio gear.

I used to only use Asus or MSI... However It's been well over 10 years since I've even thought about building a new desktop, I've been using laptops exclusively...

I like bigger screens.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back