Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #31,681 of 149,734
Nick Lowe is an amazing writer and performer who's still working hard at age 69. I've seen him perform a few times in Portland OR, solo and with his current touring band Los Straightjackets. He's got a new album out due soon. Yep Roc has reissued some of his early releases that were out of print, and did a really nice job of remastering them. They sound so nice that I bought them all, even though I already had previous versions.

Here's a single from the new album due June 15th,

I did not mean to lessen his abilities as a performer of course. For a while there he worked closely with Elvis Costello and produced his first five albums I believe.

Someone else who is still performing and whose songwriting I admired is J.D. Souther, he still has an amazing voice.

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #31,682 of 149,734
The mention of Dylan and family reminds me of another family relationship.
One of my favorite songs comes from the former son in law of Johnny Cash, Nick Lowe. While he wrote What's So Funny Bout Peace, Love and Understanding....my favorite song is The Beast In Me. I first heard it at the end of an early Soprannos show, may have been the first episode. Johnny Cash performed the song as well. Lowe is probably more known to be a producer than a recording artist but a few of his songs live on.
Nick Lowe was a member of Brinsley Schwarz in the early 70’s. What I thought was a great band back then(and still do). Their first album named Brinsley Schwarz after the guitarist, was destined to make them stars, but a disastrous short lived American tour short circuited their career. Lowe went on to do the writing and producing we are familiar with. Brinsley himself joined Graham Parker and the Rumour for the next 10 years or so.
Just a little history.

Enjoy the album if you’re intereste in looking it up.

Cheers

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #31,683 of 149,734
Nick Lowe was a member of Brinsley Schwarz in the early 70’s. What I thought was a great band back then(and still do). Their first album named Brinsley Schwarz after the guitarist, was destined to make them stars, but a disastrous short lived American tour short circuited their career. Lowe went on to do the writing and producing we are familiar with. Brinsley himself joined Graham Parker and the Rumour for the next 10 years or so.
Just a little history.

Cheers

I will have to see if I have that album in my collection. I have in excess of 35k of albums in digital format I can search. All in order, all songs in order, they run from the 1950's or slightly earlier to 2007 so I have a better chance of having older things.

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #31,684 of 149,734
I checked out the AK240 and it does have a balanced mode as well so that is a plus for it and a touch screen compared to the wheel.
Yep, the AK240 is a marvelous toy.
You wrote that the Pono player is no longer supported...what does that mean? Seems like a short life-time for the device...

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #31,685 of 149,734
Yep, the AK240 is a marvelous toy.
You wrote that the Pono player is no longer supported...what does that mean? Seems like a short life-time for the device...

I do not believe the original software is supported is all I meant, there also used to be a Pono site that was going through a lot of changes but I have not looked for it recently. Mine works and I can download music onto it and might be able to reinstall operating software one day but I am not certain of that. At one point it locked up and I could not get a reinstall from Pono, luckily my son was able to figure it out and get it going again. They used to sell music and offer free updates if higher res recordings were ever released for anything you owned.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #31,687 of 149,734
Just a little history.

Cheers

Thank you for reminding me about Brinsley Schwarz. I need to add that to my library!

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #31,688 of 149,734
Not all of the greats survived the lifestyle.:smile_phones: It is good to have a few people left here and there.

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #31,689 of 149,734
One day I shall see Venice but some of the central and southern territories hold an interest for me as well.
Pietro of course has a vast knowledge of Italy and can recommend way more than can I...
If I went back to Italy, it would be to Rome. Simply an amazing place.
We didn't like Venice in the spring...too dirty and smelly.
The northern lake region is beautiful on the southern edge of the alps.
I've been to Lugano, Como and Stresa...loved them all.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #31,690 of 149,734
Pietro of course has a vast knowledge of Italy and can recommend way more than can I...

I would definitely see Rome, while I studied classical languages some, I was more interested in the history and architecture. In my fourth year of latin I was given a choice of following the curriculum for an A or studying whatever I wanted for a B, I took the B but got to do my own thinking but to this day cannot tell a gerund from a gerundive. Tuscany would be on the list just for the wines and beef.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #31,692 of 149,734

Very nice job, they look fantastic! I bet they sound glorious.
May I ask what type of wood veneer that is? I'm aboot to redo my NS-200M speakers.
Thank you and best regards.
Hey! Welcome to Head-Fi.

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #31,693 of 149,734
Roma is fantastic. Venezia is a disaster.
Not because of the smell (they thoroughly cleaned up the Laguna) but because of the tourists.
I only go to Venzia for the Biennale but learned to avoid the city further. Just like most Italians.
All of Italy is one big wine and food region and they are all good.
Be aware that in Toscana the normal daily bread has no salt in it.....
The only way to eat it is to dip it in wine.

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #31,694 of 149,734
Great info thanks! My schedule does not allow for much traveling right now but one day when I retire I will have more free time.
Your talk of bread and wine reminds me of..

Side by side with the human race there runs another race of beings, the inhuman ones, the race of artists who, goaded by unknown impulses, take the lifeless mass of humanity and by the fever and ferment with which they imbue it turn this soggy dough into bread and the bread into wine and the wine into song. Henry Miller

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #31,695 of 149,734
Well said. The LCD-4 are harder to drive than the LCD-X, and they scale really well with more power.
In my rig, they sound just OK driven by the AK240 but much better with the Oppo driving them.
ps. The HD800 are not hard to drive, but they are hard to drive well. :)
YMMV.

True enough. As a practical matter DAPs are going to be used with IEMs, earbuds, and iSines (or LCD-i4s if I save my pennies). All much easier to drive, but headphones take the measure of the beast. The Questyle obviously wasn't designed to pair with every headphone out there and do well, but it's nice to know it is more than passable on some common headphones. Like I said, I can't see myself biking along with LCDs on my head. Oh, can I borrow your LCD-4s to see how well they play on a bike? :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back