Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 24, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #31,666 of 152,545
You can call me Pietro if you wish. Or baron dr. Cozzi Tinin.
The quotes you so readily discard are actually translations of quotes from people like you here on this site.
Except for the first one which is the motto in our family crest for the past 500 years.
A reminder of what life was like when I was minus 446 years old.
OFFENDUNTUR SI ADOLESCERE

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #31,668 of 152,545
The quotes you so readily discard are actually translations of quotes from people like you here on this site.
Except for the first one which is the motto in our family crest for the past 500 years.

Judging by the lack of the use of the word "lord", this would most likely fall under araldica. You might note I paid attention to the quotes, language fascinates me as well as the written word. At some point 500 years ago an ancestor distinguished himself or herself perhaps at a time of war. I have not been in this thread long so I am guessing the country is Italy and there was certainly civil strife there 500 years ago.
But then land can be granted for other reasons, a service to the court.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #31,669 of 152,545

May we refer to Constanza as The Baroness?

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #31,670 of 152,545
I used to catch Himmelman at local venues in the '70s. At the time he was the front man for the Minneapolis band, Sussman Lawrence. He's always been an interesting songwriter He is/was also Dylans son in law.

The mention of Dylan and family reminds me of another family relationship.
One of my favorite songs comes from the former son in law of Johnny Cash, Nick Lowe. While he wrote What's So Funny Bout Peace, Love and Understanding....my favorite song is The Beast In Me. I first heard it at the end of an early Soprannos show, may have been the first episode. Johnny Cash performed the song as well. Lowe is probably more known to be a producer than a recording artist but a few of his songs live on.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #31,671 of 152,545
May we refer to Constanza as The Baroness?

That seems appropriate. In England she would have been Lady Constanza I would think. This may well be a good example of anthropomorphism. (a word I rarely get to use.)

Any other distinguishing things about the family coat of arms? A bar sinister has bad connotations but mostly in England.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #31,672 of 152,545
Judging by the lack of the use of the word "lord", this would most likely fall under araldica. You might note I paid attention to the quotes, language fascinates me as well as the written word. At some point 500 years ago an ancestor distinguished himself or herself perhaps at a time of war. I have not been in this thread long so I am guessing the country is Italy and there was certainly civil strife there 500 years ago.
But then land can be granted for other reasons, a service to the court.
It should be lord but I wasn't going to press matters there.
We are from old Venetian nobility but there was a time, not long ago, when there was more of that than decent dentists.
I never use my title (none for that matter) because it's sort of cheap.
I do neither need a title in front of nor a number behind my name (as is the fashion now in the US) to state or inflate my own value.
The world should dispense with all forms of royalty or nobility for it only points out your family was founded by criminals.
There is a certain man in your country (without a coat of arms for the moment but not afraid of inventing one) who could use the motto "aliquam conscientia mea".

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #31,673 of 152,545
It should be lord but I wasn't going to press matters there.
We are from old Venetian nobility but there was a time, not long ago, when there was more of that than decent dentists.
I never use my title (none for that matter) because it's sort of cheap.
I do neither need a title in front of nor a number behind my name (as is the fashion now in the US) to state or inflate my own value.
The world should dispense with all forms of royalty or nobility for it only points out your family was founded by criminals.
There is a certain man in your country (without a coat of arms for the moment but not afraid of inventing one) who could use the motto "aliquam conscientia mea".

Whomever in my country might you be referring to? For some reason the color orange and the word "clown" come to mind.:smile_phones: Not everyone operates with a conscience.

Venice gives us the word quarantine as I recall, ships would have to sit outside the city for 40 days to be sure they were not carrying the plague.

Many of my countries wealthiest families had a checkered past. It might have been rum running during prohibition, or loaning money to Germany during WW 2, or being a slum lord. It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle....

To live in a monarchy today, it is most likely best to be in a constitutional one like the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #31,674 of 152,545
Venice gives us the word quarantine as I recall, ships would have to sit outside the city for 40 days to be sure they were not carrying the plague.
Quarantine and ghetto.
They where discriminating scum as a lot of northern Italians still are.
It's a shame.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #31,675 of 152,545
IMG_1350.JPG A photo my son took while staying near Florence. The only bridge across the Arno the Germans did not destroy.
One day I shall see Venice but some of the central and southern territories hold an interest for me as well.

At one point I believe I knew about the origin of ghetto but it had escaped me like many things do when you get older, thanks for the reminder.

Attachments

• IMG_1350.JPG
    IMG_1350.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #31,676 of 152,545
You should tell your son to hold his camera straight or level the picture on his computer afterwards.
It is beautiful. Firenze however is not.
The historical center is extremely small.
For me the only returning point whenever I am there is "gli Uffizi". One of the most astonishing museums in the world.

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #31,677 of 152,545
He most likely saved the better photos for himself and sent this one quickly to me but a nice concept. Personally I do not get to travel much so I only get to take cat photos, sigh. This one was used on a calendar.Pictures0019.jpgI used a trick of the light to give the pupils a different effect.

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #31,678 of 152,545
Whether it needs more power or not depends on what you are trying to play and how loudly you are trying to play it. The Questyle drives the LCD-X easily. Balanced output to the HD800s is more than adequate as well. Neither of these is considered hard to drive. The sound is so clean and musical it is, however, very easy to keep turning up the volume. It just invites that.
Well said. The LCD-4 are harder to drive than the LCD-X, and they scale really well with more power.
In my rig, they sound just OK driven by the AK240 but much better with the Oppo driving them.
ps. The HD800 are not hard to drive, but they are hard to drive well. :)
YMMV.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #31,679 of 152,545
The mention of Dylan and family reminds me of another family relationship.
One of my favorite songs comes from the former son in law of Johnny Cash, Nick Lowe. While he wrote What's So Funny Bout Peace, Love and Understanding....my favorite song is The Beast In Me. I first heard it at the end of an early Soprannos show, may have been the first episode. Johnny Cash performed the song as well. Lowe is probably more known to be a producer than a recording artist but a few of his songs live on.

Nick Lowe is an amazing writer and performer who's still working hard at age 69. I've seen him perform a few times in Portland OR, solo and with his current touring band Los Straightjackets. He's got a new album out due soon. Yep Roc has reissued some of his early releases that were out of print, and did a really nice job of remastering them. They sound so nice that I bought them all, even though I already had previous versions.

Here's a single from the new album due June 15th,

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #31,680 of 152,545
Well said. The LCD-4 are harder to drive than the LCD-X, and they scale really well with more power.
In my rig, they sound just OK driven by the AK240 but much better with the Oppo driving them.

I checked out the AK240 and it does have a balanced mode as well so that is a plus for it and a touch screen compared to the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back