Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 26, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #28,726 of 150,558
For all Ragnarok does, having a version about a quarter of the price (Ragnarok Mini?) would be damn amazing. It's still Schiit's only combined headphone/power amp. Or even just a speaker amp as cheap as you can possibly make it. I assume you guys don't like those class "T" amps :) but they are sooooooo cheap.
You are correct. Jason and Mike aren't fans. They might not put it as nicely.

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #28,731 of 150,558
The SOBs are waffling over 'packaging'

edit::

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #28,732 of 150,558
For all Ragnarok does, having a version about a quarter of the price (Ragnarok Mini?) would be damn amazing. It's still Schiit's only combined headphone/power amp. Or even just a speaker amp as cheap as you can possibly make it. I assume you guys don't like those class "T" amps :) but they are sooooooo cheap.
.....and, they sound so cheap..........:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #28,734 of 150,558
Still lobbying for a Bifrost size non-assoholic speaker amp. Heck, monoblock would be fine, I'll take 2 stackable ones, 25w, 15w, 10w, pls?

Jan 28, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #28,735 of 150,558
Next up for me is a Ragnarok, but I worry that it's a few years old now and has at least one glaring omission, the lack of a remote control.

Jason addressed this in the chapter on Saga/Freya:
Remote control. And this is the killer. None of our headphone amps have remote control, because, well, they're supposed to be sitting on your desk, or near at hand (headphone cables are, in fact, not infinite in length). And Ragnarok doesn't have a remote, because it was conceptualized and designed too early in our thought process regarding 2-channel gear. 2-channel stuff (where you're sitting back in your easy chair, looking at speakers across the room) really benefits from a remote control.

Ragnarok is hardly a desktop amplifier. If you're using it on your desk, you have a huge desk—or you have much greater patience than I do about how much crap you'll tolerate on your desk. It's really an old-school integrated, designed to be put in a rack. Yes, it's a headphone amplifier. And yes, it's a speaker amplifier. And yes, it really should have a remote. We'll get to that. Eventually.
No timeframe is given; just keep waiting.

Jan 28, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #28,736 of 150,558
No one needs usuriously expensive audio equipment. That stuff is built for the ego. For some folks, audio is no longer fun, it's OCD. High End is the butt end of the itsty-bitsy world of musical reproduction. Again, it's built to satisfy the ego and nothing more.

In desperation some manufacturers are now offering "all in one" systems that feature an internet tuner (Ooops! "Streamer", LOL!) and a CD player (or *GASP* a turn table with built-in speakers!) along with digital storage, amplification and speakers. How's that for trying to appeal to the masses instead of the asses? The problem (unless you're a frAudiophile) is it's still outrageously overpriced. The High End seems to feel, not think, that if the hoi polloi can buy in, then that level of entry level is well and truly beneath them. For exempli gratia, ELAC seems to be pulling a "Jefferson's" move in that they're "movin' on up!" In price. As in $5,000 speakers. Their entry level just added a service elevator beneath the vestibule for the plebian to jump on board and ride up to. Pffft!

In the real world where we all live, there's a whole bunch of people with different priorities. Like putting food on the table for their family and a roof over their heads. For these folks, there's brands like Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer to name just three.

And then there's Schiit. Their stuff is the equal of any thing made by any body but the difference is it's made for every body. Check your ego because Schiit's so affordable you can still write a check (cheque?) for your audio. And for the rent, utilities, car, et al. Schiit does not make some thing for every one (i.e., home theater or idiotic toads), but if you are looking to reproduce Stereo in the comfort of your home or in the middle of your mind (head phones), then this Schiits for you.

The High End hasn't yet reached rock bottom but when they do, they'll just break out the jackhammers and keep going. The ball is in Schiit's court but unlike the "High End" who would take it and go home, Schiit seems to just keep double-back handing it over the net and in their face.

Yeah...I am in a mood. Again. But when I read some of the drivel posited else where on other sites it just makes me laugh. And then I write.

I have probably not had to write a cheque in at least ten years. I still keep it though because Royal Mail use it as a form of I.D if you need to pick up a parcel at the collection centre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back