Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 26, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #28,711 of 150,295
It has been my experience that a high quality 25 watt class A will sound better than a high wattage class A amp; unless the high wattage cost several thousand dollars. It has to do to the transformer wattage ratio.
I would love to see Jason make a 25 watt class A amp that would be his signature component; like the Yggy is to Mike.
What class A amps do you like out of the ones you've listened to?

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #28,715 of 150,295
I wish I owned one. Almost impossible to find. When one does show up on e-bay, it is sold in a matter of minutes.
A friend of mine owns one. It has that holographic single ended sound, that puts the band right in the room with you. It is very addictive to listen to.

Exactly! The more I listen to my Pioneer M-22, the more I love it. Pair it will a great tube preamp and you have audio heaven. Mine is from the early 80’s and has been freshened up. But it is still an old amp that will need more TLC. If Jason designed an amp that matched it in sound quality and specs, and it didn’t cost much over $2K, it would sell like hot cakes. If you look at the specs the distortion numbers are quite good. It is a full dual mono design and the channel separation is excellent as well.

That amp is not for everyone because of its age and maintenance requirements. That why I would love to have a modern option.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #28,716 of 150,295
Jason Stoddard said:
Can I make a better Ragnarok, a Ragnarok 2? You bet. We've learned a lot. But I can't speculate on when it'll happen, sorry.

Go for it! I would love to see improved and even better Ragnarok!

If you make it – or more likely when you make it – please make it solid state only.

Improved two channel integrated without tubes, I even might buy one :wink:

Please make a sequel to Ragnarok.
fk0dx.jpg

Jan 26, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #28,719 of 150,295
I wish I owned one. Almost impossible to find.
What do you mean? 10 pieces for sale on Hifishark. As @winders mentioned they will need work. But hard to find, no not at all.

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #28,724 of 150,295
What class A amps do you like out of the ones you've listened to?
Bryston BHA-1. Class A. Dual mono design. Fully balanced. Great sound.
It's a headphone amp. I don't have experience with 2-channel amps...

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #28,725 of 150,295
I'm not designing any $5000 amps, so that's that.

I mean, if I wanted to do a 250/500W amp that also operated as a 1K monoblock, you're talking $1500.

If I wanted to do an insane 100/200W Class A amp with choke-input power supply, you might be pushing $2500.

In terms of an integrated amp, you're at the mercy of packaging. Ragnarok is at its thermal limits. It doesn't have space for a big choke for a choke-input power supply. Adding heatsinks subtracts space for inputs or other components. Adding fans pisses people off (unless they are usually off, and only used in a panic situation.)

Can I make a better Ragnarok, a Ragnarok 2? You bet. We've learned a lot. But I can't speculate on when it'll happen, sorry.
For all Ragnarok does, having a version about a quarter of the price (Ragnarok Mini?) would be damn amazing. It's still Schiit's only combined headphone/power amp. Or even just a speaker amp as cheap as you can possibly make it. I assume you guys don't like those class "T" amps :) but they are sooooooo cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back