Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 25, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #28,682 of 149,298
I'm not designing any $5000 amps, so that's that.

I mean, if I wanted to do a 250/500W amp that also operated as a 1K monoblock, you're talking $1500.

If I wanted to do an insane 100/200W Class A amp with choke-input power supply, you might be pushing $2500.

In terms of an integrated amp, you're at the mercy of packaging. Ragnarok is at its thermal limits. It doesn't have space for a big choke for a choke-input power supply. Adding heatsinks subtracts space for inputs or other components. Adding fans pisses people off (unless they are usually off, and only used in a panic situation.)

Can I make a better Ragnarok, a Ragnarok 2? You bet. We've learned a lot. But I can't speculate on when it'll happen, sorry.

Thanks for answering, Jason. I appreciate it.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #28,684 of 149,298
I suggest that you consider trying a Tascam [Teac Pro] CD-200 CD transport. It incorporates a new Teac CD drive that is designed for CD audio and is very robust, has minimal "nice to have" features, has a good, legible display, and a remote. Other important features include a coax SPDIF output, a linear power supply, sturdy chassis, and a AKM 4384ET D to A in case you ever want to use the analog output. Although it has a MSRP of USD300, I picked mine up for USD215, including domestic [US] shipping. At this price point, you can discard it if you do not like it, but my unit, feeding a Gumby, gives me better performance than my Denon, Rotel, Sony, or Yamaha units. Check it out, doc.
I'm using a CD-200 and have been very happy with it, but if Schiit came out with a transport i would be on it in a heartbeat.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #28,685 of 149,298

I mean, if I wanted to do a 250/500W amp that also operated as a 1K monoblock, you're talking $1500.

If I wanted to do an insane 100/200W Class A amp with choke-input power supply, you might be pushing $2500.

In terms of an integrated amp, you're at the mercy of packaging. Ragnarok is at its thermal limits. It doesn't have space for a big choke for a choke-input power supply. Adding heatsinks subtracts space for inputs or other components. Adding fans pisses people off (unless they are usually off, and only used in a panic situation.)

Can I make a better Ragnarok, a Ragnarok 2? You bet. We've learned a lot. But I can't speculate on when it'll happen, sorry.

I'm still in for that 25W Class A Vidar sized stereo amp. Heck I'd be in for a 20W version if that made more sense.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #28,687 of 149,298

Just want to let you know that if you made an insane Class A amp for $2500 I think it would sell like hot cakes. Especially if it approached the performance of a Pass Labs amp of equivalent power. And you know how expensive those are. Steve Guttenberg would crap his pants as he owns Pass Labs. As I become an empty nester in a few years I plan on a major upgrade for my main two channel system. Goal is to keep the excellent Ragnarok in a 2nd system for headphones and some nice monitors. I can tell you that for my main two channel system the Vidar is not even a consideration. Not sure if it was the demo music or the room but I never felt like I was hearing impressive sound from the Vidars at RMAF 2017. Now companies like Pass Labs are on the list though I believe the value proposition is not very good. If you came out with a pure class A or extremely high bias class A that comes very close to Pass Labs quality of sound I would be very exited to get it as I am a fan of your company. If I were you I would purchase a Pass Labs INT-60 (60 watt) to benchmark with your Ragnarok. Perhaps the Ragnarok 2 could do close to 30 vs. 4 watts class A. I believe you could sell for much less and make it sound as good. I have faith in you. Make it a little bigger if you need to. I also believe you could price shame the Pass Labs XS150. Make a pure Class A like the XS150 and your customers will go nuts no doubt. You could do a joint effort with Baldr and call it the Forseti. Or work on it yourself and call it Dellingr, Tyr, or Ullr.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #28,688 of 149,298
Just want to let you know that if you made an insane Class A amp for $2500 I think it would sell like hot cakes. Especially if it approached the performance of a Pass Labs amp of equivalent power. And you know how expensive those are. Steve Guttenberg would crap his pants as he owns Pass Labs. As I become an empty nester in a few years I plan on a major upgrade for my main two channel system. Goal is to keep the excellent Ragnarok in a 2nd system for headphones and some nice monitors. I can tell you that for my main two channel system the Vidar is not even a consideration. Not sure if it was the demo music or the room but I never felt like I was hearing impressive sound from the Vidars at RMAF 2017. Now companies like Pass Labs are on the list though I believe the value proposition is not very good. If you came out with a pure class A or extremely high bias class A that comes very close to Pass Labs quality of sound I would be very exited to get it as I am a fan of your company. If I were you I would purchase a Pass Labs INT-60 (60 watt) to benchmark with your Ragnarok. Perhaps the Ragnarok 2 could do close to 30 vs. 4 watts class A. I believe you could sell for much less and make it sound as good. I have faith in you. Make it a little bigger if you need to. I also believe you could price shame the Pass Labs XS150. Make a pure Class A like the XS150 and your customers will go nuts no doubt. You could do a joint effort with Baldr and call it the Forseti. Or work on it yourself and call it Dellingr, Tyr, or Ullr.

You're actually probably right. $2500 is less than what budget versions of amps of that type sell for used. It would need to sound good though and would attract a different set of customers the same way Yggy does.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #28,689 of 149,298
In total agreement with the idea of higher end amps. Schiit offers an outstanding line/range of headphone amplifiers and DACs. I would like to see the same in speaker amplifiers with models above the Vidar. My sons also like that idea as I would be handing my Vidars over to them.

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #28,690 of 149,298

How about a 30 to 60 watt Class A amp that sounds as good as or better than the Pioneer M-22? I would buy two! I know a bunch of other guys that would buy one or two as well!

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #28,691 of 149,298
I like the Vidar specs, but would like something officially rated and measured for 4 ohms in mono mode and stable down to 2 ohms. Also THD and noise floor as low as possible.

I think Benchmark has the one cleanest amps (measured) right now in the AHB2 and it's using some proprietary THX--AAA output circuit. I've heard mixed reviews and it's a wee bit expensive for my blood.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #28,693 of 149,298
Well, it's getting late here in Florida, but I'll say what I said earlier. Bring on the Amps!

The world of 2 channel as a lifelong hobby is generally one of expanding horizons..... Jason, people will spend their money on it. You won't sell as many of the more expensive stuff. Price it accordingly. Yggy sells, right? Where would you guys be without Yggy?

Keep moving the boundaries for us, we like participating in the evolution of great sounding gear.

Generally.

I hope.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #28,695 of 149,298
I suggest that you consider trying a Tascam [Teac Pro] CD-200 CD transport. It incorporates a new Teac CD drive that is designed for CD audio and is very robust, has minimal "nice to have" features, has a good, legible display, and a remote. Other important features include a coax SPDIF output, a linear power supply, sturdy chassis, and a AKM 4384ET D to A in case you ever want to use the analog output. Although it has a MSRP of USD300, I picked mine up for USD215, including domestic [US] shipping. At this price point, you can discard it if you do not like it, but my unit, feeding a Gumby, gives me better performance than my Denon, Rotel, Sony, or Yamaha units. Check it out, doc.

Looks like a very nice player. What does the pitch control with LED do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back