Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 25, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #28,666 of 151,685
Well, there is no indication that it could not be better, either. New Magni sound good for the price, and Jotunheim, sound good for the price. All Schiit products, as far I know, sound good for the price. Also, all Schiit new amps sound better, than older generations. I assume, new Ragnarok 2 would also be good for its price and would also be better than first generation, no matter what topology. Jason said that they are relying not only on measurements, so the future of Ragnarok should be safe.

I think you hit the key point. Schiit isn't going to introduce something new that's worse than it's predecessor but it is still going to be better "for the price." Ragnarok sits on top of Schiit's amp food chain. There won't be a version 2 unless Jason can improve it at its price point or at least in that range. I will leave it to Jason to tell us if he could design noticeably a better sounding Ragnarok for $5000. Schiit has always offered a great value proposition rather than escalate prices into the stratosphere. It will be interesting to see what the future will bring.

Thanks to those who offered comparisons of the Schiit amps. I'd like to hear more of you weigh in on their comparative performance.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #28,667 of 151,685
You married to a polar bear?
I wouldn't be able to live at those low temperatures.
You wouldn't survive in Scotland then! Even in the height of our summers the average temperature inside our house rarely exceeds 19C unless the central heating is put on to assist, and in the winters we struggle to reach 19C even with the heating turned on! (We live in a 120 year old house with high ceilings etc). As it happens, I can't stand central heating, it blocks my sinuses. So I make do with the passive heat I get from my amps, plasma TV, computers, etc and sit with a blanket over my legs! :thermometer_face:

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #28,668 of 151,685
You wouldn't survive in Scotland then! Even in the height of our summers the average temperature inside our house rarely exceeds 19C unless the central heating is put on to assist, and in the winters we struggle to reach 19C even with the heating turned on! (We live in a 120 year old house with high ceilings etc). As it happens, I can't stand central heating, it blocks my sinuses. So I make do with the passive heat I get from my amps, plasma TV, computers, etc and sit with a blanket over my legs! :thermometer_face:

Might help to wear pants instead of a kilt. :o2smile:

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #28,669 of 151,685
I will leave it to Jason to tell us if he could design noticeably a better sounding Ragnarok for $5000.
Interesting question. I guess, now Ragnarok is at the price point where you can still hear benefits of more expensive amp. Higher you go - smaller the benefits. I never had a chance to demo $5k+ audio gear in my system, but I also never was interested in it. In that territory you would never know you are paying for sound, for chassis, or for possibility to boast about how expensive your gear is. It would be really interesting to hear from Jason what he could put in an amp for $5000.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #28,670 of 151,685
Interesting question. I guess, now Ragnarok is at the price point where you can still hear benefits of more expensive amp. Higher you go - smaller the benefits. I never had a chance to demo $5k+ audio gear in my system, but I also never was interested in it. In that territory you would never know you are paying for sound, for chassis, or for possibility to boast about how expensive your gear is. It would be really interesting to hear from Jason what he could put in an amp for $5000.

I know I asked the question but it is to Schiit's credit that they would more likely ask how they could get Ragnarok performance for less than the current price. From the outside looking in it's hard to tell how much of the cost of a $5000 amp is as you say performance enhancement and how much is chassis. Being able to boast is important too. And then there's the high markup issue. Ragnarok sold at retail might be a $5000 amp. Buying direct from Schiit keeps prices low. For some this disqualifies Schiit because in their minds the price isn't high enough for the gear to be any good. There are numerous examples in marketing of raising the price to increase sales actually working.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #28,671 of 151,685
I'm not designing any $5000 amps, so that's that.

I mean, if I wanted to do a 250/500W amp that also operated as a 1K monoblock, you're talking $1500.

If I wanted to do an insane 100/200W Class A amp with choke-input power supply, you might be pushing $2500.

In terms of an integrated amp, you're at the mercy of packaging. Ragnarok is at its thermal limits. It doesn't have space for a big choke for a choke-input power supply. Adding heatsinks subtracts space for inputs or other components. Adding fans pisses people off (unless they are usually off, and only used in a panic situation.)

Can I make a better Ragnarok, a Ragnarok 2? You bet. We've learned a lot. But I can't speculate on when it'll happen, sorry.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 25, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #28,675 of 151,685
I've heard the Yggy along with two amps: Rag and WA5.
Both were good, in their own way.
The Rag didn't lay down to the WA5. It was right there.
And the WA5 is at least 2x more expensive.

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #28,676 of 151,685
That sounds awesome until I start thinking about how impractical something like that would be in my house.

Yeah, you're looking at 800-1000W continuous dissipation, in all reality. It's a space heater.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 25, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #28,677 of 151,685
Yeah, you're looking at 800-1000W continuous dissipation, in all reality. It's a space heater.

Considering my PC on full tilt benchmarking is a total of ~750W from the wall and that heats up my room pretty fast then yep that definitely sounds like a space heater haha...

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #28,678 of 151,685

... Adding fans pisses people off (unless they are usually off, and only used in a panic situation.)

Can I make a better Ragnarok, a Ragnarok 2? You bet. We've learned a lot. But I can't speculate on when it'll happen, sorry.

That's the sort of thing I like to hear and that's one of the things that impresses me with the Schiit philosophy. Appeals to my inner-Engineer and the old line, "An Engineer is someone who can do for 10 cents what any other person can do for a dollar."

Make it work and make it cost effective. Oh, and I agree, please don't go near fans.

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #28,679 of 151,685

I mean, if I wanted to do a 250/500W amp that also operated as a 1K monoblock, you're talking $1500.

If I wanted to do an insane 100/200W Class A amp with choke-input power supply, you might be pushing $2500.

In terms of an integrated amp, you're at the mercy of packaging. Ragnarok is at its thermal limits. It doesn't have space for a big choke for a choke-input power supply. Adding heatsinks subtracts space for inputs or other components. Adding fans pisses people off (unless they are usually off, and only used in a panic situation.)

Bring on the amps! They will sell big in Scotland. Here in Florida it means cranking down the AC. See, not a problem.

But first Loki Maxi aka Sonar and a resurrected electrostatic head phone amp. Hopefully the amp will start shipping end of February. I can't be the only one thinking this......

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #28,680 of 151,685
You two come with that CD transport first.
First things first.
I suggest that you consider trying a Tascam [Teac Pro] CD-200 CD transport. It incorporates a new Teac CD drive that is designed for CD audio and is very robust, has minimal "nice to have" features, has a good, legible display, and a remote. Other important features include a coax SPDIF output, a linear power supply, sturdy chassis, and a AKM 4384ET D to A in case you ever want to use the analog output. Although it has a MSRP of USD300, I picked mine up for USD215, including domestic [US] shipping. At this price point, you can discard it if you do not like it, but my unit, feeding a Gumby, gives me better performance than my Denon, Rotel, Sony, or Yamaha units. Check it out, doc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back