1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. FrivolsListener
    After going through the maddening exercise of aligning the LEDs, I guessed that maybe you had a wooden jig to do the lineup before carefully sliding the pieces together.

The light pipes are certainly an easier solution.

2. rlow
    And for everyone who wants a different color (not me) you'll give them the info to 3D print their own damn light pipes in whatever color they want?? :beerchug:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  3. Mike Foley
    A very interesting read, even for those of us who are not of an engineering or technical bent. Even I understood much of it!

“Next up turntable parts”. As someone who still listens to, and buys records I’m looking forward to reading this. I believe VPI use a 3D printed tonearm on a number of their turntables.

Dylan actually fell out with McGuinn over “You Ain’t Going Nowhere” after the latter altered the lyrics for The Byrd’s version. Dylan’s own recording takes a dig at Roger. It’s on Greatest Hits Volume 2 here in the UK, and might be on the US equivalent.

4. Jason Stoddard
    We actually don't have any intention of using 3D printed parts for the turntable--we're just using it for fit testing (there's a LOT of possibilities for error, the turntable has many more mechanical parts than our typical product.)

The arm we're using is a multi-piece assembly with a pultruded carbon fiber shaft (the kind of carbon fiber that dulls saws), and assorted aluminum, brass, and steel machined bits. It's also nearly 12" long--try finding that on an affordable turntable.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    wink, sublime9, thebmc and 5 others like this.
  5. Mike Foley
    I mentioned the VPI thing as an aside, not suggesting that the Schiit turntable would have printed arm. Brass and carbon fibre sounds interesting.
    Maybe a 12” arm will allow listeners to appreciate the singing of Bob Dylan.... :)

US Blues, barondla and Jason Stoddard like this.
  6. belgiangenius
    Jason,

As my repaired and upgraded Yggy is warming up in another room, I'd love to hear a bit about what went into Yggy analog 2 design. Will you have some material on this at some point?

Ragnar-BY and Snowpuppy77 like this.
  7. Jason Stoddard
    I think I'm gonna leave that to Mike. It's more on his side than mine, and he might enjoy writing about it a bit.

RCBinTN likes this.
  8. sam6550a
    Great chapter. As far as often being wrong, my wife says that I am generally always wrong, and that math proofs to the contrary are pure schiit.

trellus and ScubaMan2017 like this.
  9. Pandahead
    So after some thought I guess 3D printing custom Schiit Sol dust covers in light pipe clear ain't gonna happen!:)

:beerchug:

10. sam6550a
    When I bought my Freya in mid 2017, it arrived with 3 LEDs not positioned in the front panel holes [the cylindrical part was broken off of the LED]. Since the cost of return shipping is high [to both parties], I elected to fix the problem by replacing the defective LEDs, and sent an email asking for a price for 4 LEDs. The Schiit reply was "we do not sell individual LEDs". So, to keep my Freya looking just like new, I harvested Schiit white LEDs from my Magni 2, Modi2 Uber, and Wyrd [you need spares when you do this stuff] and replaced them with red [Magni], green [Modi], and green/yellow [Wyrd] LEDs. I will fix my Freya when I have time, but I did notice that aligning 9 LEDs, one potentiometer, and a IR sensor is a formidable assembly task. Kudos for finding a better assembly process solution.

P. S. I still would like to purchase 4 bright white Schiit LEDs.

kehorton and barondla like this.
  11. astromo
    Thanks for some enjoyable content Jason.

This subject hits home for me because my Freya has been AWOL since November and has only just returned to grace my living room. It was RMA'd due to audible crackling in the right channel when running the tube buffer. Delayed because the replacement board shipped to the supplier in Oz got damaged in transit. Throw Christmas in on top and then what happened?

Yep ... a busted LED - so back it went again (I should have signed it up for a frequent flyer account .. ha, ha).

That last piece of pain may well have been avoided with the light pipe development you've recounted. So, I for one know that your efforts down this path are worthwhile.

Keep it up .. :wink:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  12. Jason Stoddard
    Contact amy@schiit.com. Tell her I sent you. She'll send you some LEDs.

13. johnjen
    Perhaps a work around would be if they could supply the part number and manufacturer and Digikey or Mouser etc would have them in stock. JJ

14. nerone
    Hey, @Jason Stoddard , can't you put a light pipe inside the knob, on the volume indicating position and put a led behind the knob to light it? that would be fun.
    Regarding bleeding, can't you do something like the key caps on keyboards? they are black overall but have the iluminated region on the symbols that are lit.

15. Letmebefrank
    Yeah I was also thinking a double shot injection molding setup could eliminate bleed, but it might be significantly more expensive. It might have to be done anyway to keep multiple leds from bleeding across each other when the pipe is all one piece.

I like the idea of a light up volume knob with a light pipe, then nobody could complain about not seeing the little dot.

ScubaMan2017 likes this.