Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 15, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #13,276 of 149,809
How tf am I going to listen to performances live from the met in hd if I don't have a screen? Is a projector really necessary?

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #13,277 of 149,809
It's interesting to me that nobody has mentioned the fact that it should be entirely possible to manually achieve unity gain with the Freya or Saga with the volume control, when connecting the preamp out on your A/V processor/home theatre receiver to either preamp for your front left and right channels.  It'll take some eyeballing (earballing?) to get right (level matching against the rest of your channels), but it should be quite easy.  I did just this when I had a Ragnarok taking the former place of an Ayre preamp and power amp in my two channelish setup, which is situated in the same space as a 5.1 setup, with the TV set back from the main speakers.  (Settle down some of you [one of you], cost of living is obscene in Vancouver.)

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #13,278 of 149,809
I get the 2 channel bit. However, that fails to consider that due to a lack of space / rooms / budget and the increasing adoption of home theatre, there are many who use their gear primarily for 2 channel listening and secondary as a home theatre. The home theatre bypass feature in a preamp would be crucial for such users. I view this as a missed opportunity as this would be a deal breaker for such consumers, regardless of the price.

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #13,279 of 149,809

Some thoughts about a HT bypass. I think a lot of people who buy schiit products would benefit because they use strange and not so common setups. But with both preamps a HT bypass can be achieved with software. Just switch in the passive mode and set the volume at max. They use a relay switched attenuator. With volume at max, this is a bypass.  You must be able to configure the inputs which should be bypassed, this could be done with dip switches at the back(!).

But you can also just set the volume to the max and you get a bypassed input. BUT be careful before switching to another input. Perhaps a function at the remote which switches the volume to minimum would be helpful.

Oct 15, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #13,280 of 149,809
Was thinking that too, passive pre at max volume is essentially a passthrough, but it's a sure way to eventually blow up your speakers when you switch back to active pre-amp setting and forget to lower the volume..

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #13,281 of 149,809
  This thread is off the rails. 

​Yup.  I would like Schiit to make a nice looking integrated amp with  80 or so watts per channel,  4 ohm capability, several inputs including phono and a pair of VU Meters up front.  Remote control would be nice too. Until then I will be an AP (Audiophile Philistine) and just live with my new Pioneer Elite SX-N30, CD players, two record players and the music on my laptops and Mac Mini.

And several sets of 'phones.  Not holding my breath as I really don't know the market like they do and they're in business to stay in business, not cater to my whims.  Right now I am enjoying my Pandora One through a pair of Grado SR225s hooked to a (*GASP*) Grace Digital Encore internet radio!!!  AP and happy.

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #13,282 of 149,809

A proper preamp in a 2-channel system turns music into magic. Even in the small room at RMAF, I could hear the wisps of magic that Freya was making. In combo with Yggy, and those authoritative amps, there is some good listening that will be happening soon.

Hmmm,

I've been running my 2-channel pre-amp-less for over a year now. I use fixed attenuators between my Yggy and ATI 6002 Power amp (BTW another one to use the 'exotic' current feedback design) -> ML Electromotion ESL speakers - I fine tune the volume in the digital domain with Jriver on RPI - going into the Yggy. This set up is amazingly transparent.

I remember reading somewhere that the most transparent pre-amp is no pre amp. 

I did have a chance to play with the Lyr 2 and loved the tube sound with my set up (and headphones - HD700) - I am tempted by Freya but wonder if adding a component (and ditching digital volume control) would actually improve the sound...?

Anyway that's some awesome Schiit guys!

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #13,283 of 149,809

A proper preamp in a 2-channel system turns music into magic. Even in the small room at RMAF, I could hear the wisps of magic that Freya was making. In combo with Yggy, and those authoritative amps, there is some good listening that will be happening soon.

Hmmm,

I've been running my 2-channel pre-amp-less for over a year now. I use fixed attenuators between my Yggy and ATI 6002 Power amp (BTW another one to use the 'exotic' current feedback design) -> ML Electromotion ESL speakers - I fine tune the volume in the digital domain with Jriver on RPI - going into the Yggy. This set up is amazingly transparent.

I remember reading somewhere that the most transparent pre-amp is no pre amp. 

I did have a chance to play with the Lyr 2 and loved the tube sound with my set up (and headphones - HD700) - I am tempted by Freya but wonder if adding a component (and ditching digital volume control) would actually improve the sound...?

Anyway that's some awesome Schiit guys!

There is a question about using your computer to control the volume in the digital domain prior to the signal getting to your Yggy that is beyond my experience to answer, since I still play silver discs. I believe that I have read on this forum that this is less-than-optimal, having to do with limiting the number of bits that Yggy "sees" prior to converting the bitstream to analog. Someone with more experience than I can hopefully chime in. 

The fixed attenuators that you are using may be another choke point in your system. While the theory that no preamp is best is certainly something you'll read, the bugger about audio gear is that the theory (from engineering or other perspectives) doesn't always match the reality. My suggestion is the try the Freya in your system, since you can send it back. My suspicion is that you'll keep it.

Full disclosure: I sold audio gear back in the 80's, which has influenced my perspective regarding how gear works and sounds.

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #13,284 of 149,809
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 15, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #13,286 of 149,809

And a perfect example of Why You Can't Always Get What You Want.

And that's why power switches will remain on back.
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #13,288 of 149,809
Loved the Saga of Saga chapter! Way to make me want something I never knew I needed!

Is it wrong to get a Saga to use it as a fancy volume control and only use 1 in and 1 out? (If so that kind of makes me want to do it more)

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #13,290 of 149,809
  Loved the Saga of Saga chapter! Way to make me want something I never knew I needed!

Is it wrong to get a Saga to use it as a fancy volume control and only use 1 in and 1 out? (If so that kind of makes me want to do it more)

Nope. I'll be using the Freya with 1 in and 1 out as well when I get it. It'll stay in my computer/bedroom setup and keep my HTIB in the living room since I'm the only one who's into good sound reproduction hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back