Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 15, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #13,291 of 152,559
The most expensive part of setting up a 2 channel system can be the room itself. Build a new room off the back of the house? Kick the kid out of their bedroom? Move?

This is not to say I'm not happy Schiit has released these new affordable pre-amps.
Nor is it Schiit's responsiblity to build products that fit into my lifestyle.
And I know, "don't have a place for new audiophile component X" definitely rates as a first world problem. Which is to say, not a big deal.

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #13,293 of 152,559
How so? We're discussing Schiit's latest announced products and how to integrate them into our existing systems or set up new systems with them. For a change it seems entirely on point to me…

I think it might have been referring to the - when is 2 channel not 2 channel riddle (answer when there's a television in the room
rolleyes.gif
)

I guess I'll have to buy another 3 speakers (and maybe a sub) because my lounge room sound is definitely not mono, can't be 2 channel because there's a TV. So I reckon in must be multi-channel but I only have 2 speakers 
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #13,294 of 152,559
  Loved the Saga of Saga chapter! Way to make me want something I never knew I needed!

Is it wrong to get a Saga to use it as a fancy volume control and only use 1 in and 1 out? (If so that kind of makes me want to do it more)

I'm considering Saga for this purpose. I currently run my Genelecs via SYS and Bifrost Uber, fed by optical connection from my TV, and it's a small inconvenience to always get up from the couch to change the volume. It's not ideal, but I live a small apartment for now.

I was hoping that the preamps would include a built-in DAC so I could sell my old Schiit away, but I can live with this. Does the Saga stack with Bifrost by the way?

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #13,295 of 152,559

I'm considering Saga for this purpose. I currently run my Genelecs via SYS and Bifrost Uber, fed by optical connection from my TV, and it's a small inconvenience to always get up from the couch to change the volume. It's not ideal, but I live a small apartment for now.

I was hoping that the preamps would include a built-in DAC so I could sell my old Schiit away, but I can live with this. Does the Saga stack with Bifrost by the way?

You can stack them for sure. From the pics, Saga's chassis is just as big as Jotunheim and Bifrost. Your Genelecs will sing a like a higher end speakers when you switch from passive to active preamp. Comparing my current Asgard 2 and SYS, Asgard 2 as active preamp resolves noticeably better than SYS passive preamp.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #13,296 of 152,559

You can stack them for sure. From the pics, Saga's chassis is just as big as Jotunheim and Bifrost. Your Genelecs will sing a like a higher end speakers when you switch from passive to active preamp. Comparing my current Asgard 2 and SYS, Asgard 2 as active preamp resolves noticeably better than SYS passive preamp.

Nice to know, thanks!

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #13,297 of 152,559
Has anybody an idea why there will be no 12V trigger at the new preamps? Jason didn´t explained why he decided not to have one.

We'll have to wait and see what the features are I guess.

I'm very interested in a Freya, but if it doesn't have a 12V trigger or at least a switched 120V outlet so you can create a 12V trigger, it's kind of a deal breaker since there would be no way to switch your power amp with the preamp.  My current system uses a trigger to control a SurgeX and actually switches the entire system when I turn on the preamp, except of course the Yggy. :)

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #13,298 of 152,559
I have been using iHome wifi outlets for remote on off of power, they work great!

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #13,300 of 152,559

Has anybody an idea why there will be no 12V trigger at the new preamps? Jason didn´t explained why he decided not to have one.

We'll have to wait and see what the features are I guess.

I'm very interested in a Freya, but if it doesn't have a 12V trigger or at least a switched 120V outlet so you can create a 12V trigger, it's kind of a deal breaker since there would be no way to switch your power amp with the preamp.  My current system uses a trigger to control a SurgeX and actually switches the entire system when I turn on the preamp, except of course the Yggy. :)

Freya does not have a 12 volt trigger. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #13,304 of 152,559

Freya does not have a 12 volt trigger. 

Because, these are not meant to be turned on and off multiple times a day.  Equipment like this is meant to be left on.

If you need a sequencer for the power to your equipment, I'm sure there's someone out there that makes a power-strip like device that can do the sequencing for you.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #13,305 of 152,559
re: 12V trigger.  Another demand of the remote control generation.  My 2-channel gear has no 12V triggers.  It's called "turn on each power switch by hand."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back