Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 16, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #13,306 of 152,591
Because, these are not meant to be turned on and off multiple times a day.  Equipment like this is meant to be left on.

If you need a sequencer for the power to your equipment, I'm sure there's someone out there that makes a power-strip like device that can do the sequencing for you.

Does the tube lifespan increase if there is no music input? Or could you use up a tube just letting it idle powered on?

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #13,307 of 152,591

Because, these are not meant to be turned on and off multiple times a day.  Equipment like this is meant to be left on.

If you need a sequencer for the power to your equipment, I'm sure there's someone out there that makes a power-strip like device that can do the sequencing for you.

If you are not home listening to music why in the world would you leave it on?  Do you leave the oven on too?  Shower?  If the toilet is running is that okay?

Seriously now.  I turn my stuff off when I am leaving the house and to date, it always comes back on when I push the button(s). 

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #13,308 of 152,591
Does the tube lifespan increase if there is no music input? Or could you use up a tube just letting it idle powered on?

Tubes will wear anytime the power is on and they do have a finite lifespan. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #13,309 of 152,591
On the tube life span point, can the tube stage be power on/off independently of the unit?  I like to still be able to use the ss output while the tube warm up, and to power off once I'm done and continue to use the ss output stage.

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #13,310 of 152,591
  If you are not home listening to music why in the world would you leave it on?  Do you leave the oven on too?  Shower?  If the toilet is running is that okay?

Seriously now.  I turn my stuff off when I am leaving the house and to date, it always comes back on when I push the button(s). 

Thermal stability.

The answer is, "It depends."  Current inrush to the filaments when you turn them on is a lifetime shortener as well.

Turning your tube devices on and off six times a day will be harder on them than just leaving them on, or turning them on in the morning and shutting them off at night.

Again, there must be third-party sequencers for this sort of thing.

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #13,311 of 152,591

Thermal stability.

Thermal stability is the stability of a molecule at high temperatures; i.e. a molecule with more stability has more resistance to decomposition at high temperatures.

This stuff must be very delicate but at least you offered a genuine explanation rather than a "sound" one.  Play on words there...
wink_face.gif

To be honest I have a 40+ year old Sony receiver that is turned off and on several times a week and it seems fine.  So far...
beerchug.gif

Be well.

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #13,312 of 152,591

Thermal stability is the stability of a molecule at high temperatures; i.e. a molecule with more stability has more resistance to decomposition at high temperatures.

This stuff must be very delicate but at least you offered a genuine explanation rather than a "sound" one.  Play on words there...
wink_face.gif

To be honest I have a 40+ year old Sony receiver that is turned off and on several times a week and it seems fine.  So far...
beerchug.gif

Be well.

LOL, I am sure the poster above meant keeping the amp in optimal operating temperature for optimal SQ. 

Or in case of tubes, avoiding having the filaments expand and contract each time they heat up and cool off.

Physics? *Shrugs* 

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #13,313 of 152,591
  re: 12V trigger.  Another demand of the remote control generation.  My 2-channel gear has no 12V triggers.  It's called "turn on each power switch by hand."

Yeah? Get off my lawn! :)

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #13,315 of 152,591

Thermal stability.

The answer is, "It depends."  Current inrush to the filaments when you turn them on is a lifetime shortener as well.

Turning your tube devices on and off six times a day will be harder on them than just leaving them on, or turning them on in the morning and shutting them off at night.

Again, there must be third-party sequencers for this sort of thing.

No really does not depend.  If they are off they will last forever.  If you leave them on they are good for between 5,000 and 10,000 hours.  If you turn the amp on and off a great deal you are right they will last even less than that.

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #13,317 of 152,591

I believe I mentioned that case.

Originally Posted by MWSVette 

No really does not depend.  If they are off they will last forever.  If you leave them on they are good for between 5,000 and 10,000 hours.  If you turn the amp on and off a great deal you are right they will last even less than that.

And I acknowledged that you were right about that.

Point I was attempting to make is that the tube life will be shortened even if no signal is passing through the tubes.  And that is not the best idea to leave the tube device on 24/7. When you have vintage tubes that cost a couple hundred bucks a set you do not want to waste them...

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #13,318 of 152,591
Tried taking a decent picture of my current setup and the following is the best I could do, not fantastic but you get the idea.

Really loving the combination nice detailed but smooth treble, full mids and deep bass with the Ether Flows. The overall sound is slightly warm which is just what I want. Will be getting a Toxic Silver Widow 22 to go with it in a month or so as well which should be a nice addition. Was surprised how much difference the Gumby made to the sound of my speakers as well, really opened up the soundstage and counter to what I have heard from others there seems to be more bass than the Bimby (possibly I am loosing my mind?), more detail despite remaining very smooth. I think this will be my setup (audio wise) for quite some time to come which is always nice! Thanks for making and selling such fantastic gear! 

beerchug.gif

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #13,319 of 152,591

Originally Posted by MWSVette 

No really does not depend.  If they are off they will last forever.  If you leave them on they are good for between 5,000 and 10,000 hours.  If you turn the amp on and off a great deal you are right they will last even less than that.

And I acknowledged that you were right about that.

Point I was attempting to make is that the tube life will be shortened even if no signal is passing through the tubes.  And that is not the best idea to leave the tube device on 24/7. When you have vintage tubes that cost a couple hundred bucks a set you do not want to waste them...

That looks very nice!  Congratulations on such a nice setup and I hope it gives you many years of listening pleasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back