Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 14, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #13,247 of 152,594
I have TV in my 2-channel system as well, it's all I need for the little bit of viewing I do. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #13,248 of 152,594
Let me revise.  A proper 2-channel system is a dedicated setup and does not include a TV.  It's generally also not in the living room if the TV is there.  It stands alone.  :)

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #13,249 of 152,594

If used as the audio source, why not pray tell?

The audible effects from having a large reflective screen between the speakers for one thing.  And why would you want the sub-par audio from a television driving a 2-channel setup?  No thank you.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #13,250 of 152,594
  Let me revise.  A proper 2-channel system is a dedicated setup and does not include a TV.  It's generally also not in the living room if the TV is there.  It stands alone.  :)

Hmm....my 2-channel system has a television behind it, for when I want to watch tv.  I guess my 2-channel system is not proper. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #13,251 of 152,594

Hmm....my 2-channel system has a television behind it, for when I want to watch tv.  I guess my 2-channel system is not proper. 
biggrin.gif

What you have is a hybrid system, or an all-in-one, or a home theater that you also use for music.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's not the sort of proper dedicated 2-channel setup that these Schiit products would be best for.  IMO.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #13,252 of 152,594
  The audible effects from having a large reflective screen between the speakers for one thing.  And why would you want the sub-par audio from a television driving a 2-channel setup?  No thank you.

Ummm...well, televisions are usually placed in between the speakers, and behind them.  That's a fairly low impact place to have a large reflective screen.  And when I'm watching tv, sub-par audio will do just fine.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #13,253 of 152,594

​To date, I have yet to hear that.  Additionally, many new televisions have an optical digital out.  Bits are bits. In truth, I rarely watch television as the fare that they foist upon us over the airwaves/cable/sat these days for the greater part does not interest me.   But plenty of good folk enjoy stereo music and stereo broadcasts over their TV.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #13,254 of 152,594

Ummm...well, televisions are usually placed in between the speakers, and behind them.  That's a fairly low impact place to have a large reflective screen.  And when I'm watching tv, sub-par audio will do just fine.

For home theater that is the necessary setup, of course.  But for dedicated music listening having a large audibly reflective surface between the speakers, especially since in most TV setups it is out even with the speakers, is a very sub-optimal setup indeed and can cause all sorts of high frequency effects. distortion, reverb, room modes, etc.  You really don't want that setup for a dedicated music space. Yes, I understand that most people don't have that luxury.  And yes, I sometimes listen to music using my HT.  But it isn't really a 2-channel setup like this gear is designed for unless it is designed only for 2-channel music.  Or 2.1, in some cases.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #13,255 of 152,594

​To date, I have yet to hear that.  Additionally, many new televisions have an optical digital out.  Bits are bits. In truth, I rarely watch television as the fare that they foist upon us over the airwaves/cable/sat these days for the greater part does not interest me.   But plenty of good folk enjoy stereo music and stereo broadcasts over their TV.

And there's nothing wring with that.  But it isn't 2-channel, it's music over a TV system.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #13,256 of 152,594
A 2-channel system does not contain a TV.

When the AV components are not powered, the system effectively does not contain a tv (or anything other than your 2 channel components). the av components are not in the signal chain. (I'm referring to the ht bypass setup)

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #13,257 of 152,594
Dear Jason(yes, I am a Schiit fanboy)

What the Schiit customers need is a great reasonably priced CD transport.  I have your TOTL DAC and amp and it is fabulous for its intended purpose, which is listening to CDs. I just happened to have an old OPPO 83 lying around to use for a transport, but I get excited when I see an old used Mark Levinson CD transport for sale. Please make a CD transport for your faithful fans.

I found myself looking at the Hegel Mohican Redbook CD player they just introduced at Big Top Peewee Colorado CanJam...er, RMAF, which uses the Philips CDM Pro transport drive as long as they can still access them. And it includes a BNC connector for using an external DAC, as is our wont around here. :wink:

Retro CD TOTL transport mechanism + present day read electronics capability. Not cheap, tho.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #13,258 of 152,594
When the AV components are not powered, the system effectively does not contain a tv (or anything other than your 2 channel components). the av components are not in the signal chain.

You miss my point.  The point is the large audibly reflective thing sitting between the speakers.  You don't want that for an optimal setup.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #13,260 of 152,594
You miss my point.  The point is the large audibly reflective thing sitting between the speakers.  You don't want that for an optimal setup.

I agree it is not optimal. But then my room also isn't the perfect size and I don't have any acoustic treatments or perfect power or the most transparent equipment. Just fairly good 2 channel separates / cables / monitors.

If optimal is the standard then no, i don't have a 2-channel setup.

Now, that's not to say I wouldn't love a dedicated 2 channel setup separate from the tv, but just not practical for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back