Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 14, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #13,231 of 150,705
I suppose you could disconnect the receiver from the speakers, continue to use it as the switcher. Take the optical out from TV and feed the DAC for 2 channel video and audio.

Just make sure your TV has an PCM-only output mode.

And in this case there isn't much point in keeping the receiver. Might as well buy an HDMI switch with remote from monoprice.

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #13,232 of 150,705

This is the situation where a home theater bypass function is useful. HT bypass allows you use the same stereo speakers with both a HT and 2-channel setup. Not everyone can swing a completely separate 2-channel and TV system... Your stereo speakers are connected to your 2-channel equipment (sources, pre-amp, amp). When you want to listen to your HT receiver you put the pre-amp into bypass mode. Best of both worlds.

So do you need to have a receiver that has variable pre-outs for the fronts for the HT bypass to work?  Rather, how does the receiver/pre-amp/amp work together to make sure the volume of the front speakers stay in sync with the rest of the speakers when using the volume control of the receiver?

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #13,233 of 150,705

I still have no idea what a pre-amp is FOR. You have a DAC, you have an amp. Why do you need anything else?

Multiple sources (LP, DAC, SACD Player, tuner, reel to reel, etc)

Need for additional gain / buffering.

Need to send the signal to power amps or other output devices (including, hopefully, headphone amps, digital or analog recorders).

For a full two-channel component system, the preamp is the center and heart and soul of the system. It connects all the inputs to all the outputs.

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #13,234 of 150,705

So do you need to have a receiver that has variable pre-outs for the fronts for the HT bypass to work?  Rather, how does the receiver/pre-amp/amp work together to make sure the volume of the front speakers stay in sync with the rest of the speakers when using the volume control of the receiver?

Yes, most (nicer?) AV receivers have this.

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #13,235 of 150,705

Yes, you need a receiver with variable pre-outs (but I think this is pretty common)
In bypass mode, you receiver's pre-outs are effectively connected directly to your 2-channel amp. Functionally, bypass mode is no different from having your speakers directly connected to the receiver (the volume control on your receiver controls the output of all channels).

As far as matching levels - your receiver should allow you to adjust levels so that the L/R match the center and surrounds. This level setting process works exactly as it would if your L/R speakers were connected directly to your receiver.

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #13,236 of 150,705

I'm not sure I follow here 100%...Hoping someone can clear this up for me as I'm really interested in the Freya.

How can you have SE output on XLR?

What I ultimately need some clarification on is if I am using a SE input (RCA Left/Right in), do you only get SE output (RCA Left/Right) when used in passive or JFET buffer mode?  If you want to use balanced XLR output with a SE input, you have to use the tube output.

My plan is to use the Freya hooked into my power amp via XLR connections.  But my actual inputs to Freya will be SE RCA connections.  I'm trying to understand if my only option in this scenario (SE in > XLR out) will be using the tube output and thus make the passive / JFET modes unusable.

If the pre is operating passive/buffer mode, there is no circuit to "create" the opposite phase signal for the XLR. I guess that only the in phase pin will carry signal. Also none of the noise rejecting of the XLR cable would be present.

Does anyone know if this might do any damage to a power amp with balanced input if the signal is not present in both signal pins?

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #13,237 of 150,705
  Yes, you need a receiver with variable pre-outs (but I think this is pretty common)
In bypass mode, you receiver's pre-outs are effectively connected directly to your 2-channel amp. Functionally, bypass mode is no different from having your speakers directly connected to the receiver (the volume control on your receiver controls the output of all channels).

As far as matching levels - your receiver should allow you to adjust levels so that the L/R match the center and surrounds. This level setting process works exactly as it would if your L/R speakers were connected directly to your receiver.

Ok, that makes sense. And I assume that the volume tracking is linear, such that once you match levels at one volume, they stay matched no matter the volume level?

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #13,239 of 150,705
How can you have SE output on XLR?

An XLR has 3 pins: Signal +, Signal -, and Ground. If you only have Signal + and Ground, you still have a usable connection. It won't be balanced, it will be signal ended (SE). Thus an XLR connector can carry a Single Ended signal. You could also use Signal - and Ground instead.

What I ultimately need some clarification on is if I am using a SE input (RCA Left/Right in), do you only get SE output (RCA Left/Right) when used in passive or JFET buffer mode?  If you want to use balanced XLR output with a SE input, you have to use the tube output.

I'm pretty sure, based on what's been said, that you'll get an SE output on the XLR connectors in passive mode. You'll definitely get a balanced output on the XLRs when using Tube mode. All of this assumes an SE input.

So, in passive mode, you should have a usable connection between preamp and amp. It just won't be balanced. It will also be 6 dB lower than a balanced connection, but that's just a side effect.

Brian.

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #13,240 of 150,705

Ok, that makes sense. And I assume that the volume tracking is linear, such that once you match levels at one volume, they stay matched no matter the volume level?

Yes, it should, but that's really up to your receiver - assuming it tracks linearly right now, it will in bypass mode.

It is no different then using an external amp with your receiver (i.e. what the pre-outs are for).

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #13,242 of 150,705
Oct 14, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #13,243 of 150,705
  I'm with disastermouse, I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing the use case for a preamp.  I've got a 7.2 channel receiver that I also use for 2 channel listening over speakers.  2 channel sources are my turntable and Sonos.  I'm currently using the DAC in my receiver for Sonos.  What benefit would a preamp give me, or is my setup just wrong for using one?

Here's a reason: I have a digital preamp with my Yggy and Genelec powered monitors that have only xlr inputs. 

My preamp is a little too digital for my tastes and the Freya has passive, tube ,etc  switching capability. I also have a Chord 2 qute dac with only rca outputs 
so I can attach that to the Freya as well . The Chord could probably benefit from a little tube action as its more digital sounding to me than the Yggy which I prefer. 

I will be ordering one the minute it is up for sale. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back