Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 22, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #12,241 of 149,317
I've never heard an amp that didn't sound better "modded" to bypass adjustment gear, for that reason I am in the complete opposite camp. If it has eq built in it better have a button to skip it all or a sale option that straight up leaves it all out. New school all the way.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #12,242 of 149,317
I've never heard an amp that didn't sound better "modded" to bypass adjustment gear, for that reason I am in the complete opposite camp. If it has eq built in it better have a button to skip it all or a sale option that straight up leaves it all out. New school all the way.

Sure. A lot of them did. And it added flexibility for those that wanted to bypass EQ, while leaving the functionality for those that wanted/needed it. Now we're in a situation where you can't get it in the first place, even if you do want it.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #12,243 of 149,317

+1

Old skool. You know, when every amp had balance and tone controls as well as a tape loop or two. Sometimes even a "Loudness" or "Presence" button.

E.g. pretty much every Kenwood or Marantz, Sansui or Sanyo, Denon or Technics. Like these. Heck, even McIntoshes and Quads, Nakamichis and Parasounds, Luxman and Harmon Kardons had them. Even the beloved Dynaco PAT-4 had them, and you can't get much more old skool than that.

It was "middle" skool before they got rid of tone controls, your Krells and Audio Research, your Naims and Meridians, your conrad-johnsons and so on... they were too kool for skool.

The reality is, tone shaping and balance were a lot more important in those days, when speaker design was all over the place, and it was an easy way for "hi-end" hi-fi companies to differentiate themselves from mainstream stereo.

But in reality it still continues to be important even in these days of ruler-flat response gear. Anechoic chamber testing means even the wildest speaker designs (think Orb or Devialet, Linkwitz or Lampizator) can sound surprisingly "normal" but who lives in an anechoic chamber? Every one of us lives in a different kind of house, and even if we lived in identical army housing, we'd fill our houses with different stuff. The room has the most affect on the sound, and the way your speakers interact with the room is right up there; being able to tweak the tone and balance for YOUR room can be important. That's why pretty much all surround sound receivers come with some kind of room correction, and some of them do an amazing job.

Me? As I've said before: my integrated receiver (an Advent Model 300) has bass, treble, balance and mono. I don't use the mono switch, but the other three get tweaked on a regular basis - balance less so. But I adjust the tone controls at least a couple of times a week, depending on what I'm listening to. Some record producers/engineers just have way different tastes from mine, and it's good to be able to tone them down or punch them up when I want to. Or put the singer back in the center.

Hi-fi gear these days is AMAZING. The quality is HUUUUGE, to quote someone. The barrier to entry is low, and the difference between the very best and the good enough is the smallest it's ever been (I'm not talking the $$ difference here, but the quality of reproduction; the money is out of control...).

But our houses are full of more crap than ever, and the ability to tweak YOUR stereo for YOUR situation is as important as ever.

I shouldn't have to break out a MiniDSP and stick it between the pre-amp and the power-amp to do it. It should be a knob, right there on my gear.

One labelled "- Awesome-izer +" and the other "Turn Down The Suck" ... :wink:

All of this is for an integrated receiver or an integrated amp.  Schiit hasn't done integrated, nor is it the way to bet.

I think you might get a preamp/amp pair.  But the amp is going to be a box with a power switch.  Along with a headphone jack, maybe. :)

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #12,244 of 149,317
We've been hornswoggled. They took away a feature and charged us more for it.

Instead of figuring out how to do tone controls right/better, they just said, "hey, let's get rid of them." Oh, and we're going to charge you more because we need to fill in the holes where the knobs used to be.

Look at how much time, effort, money and technology Jason threw at the volume knob for the Ragnarock. It's probably 20% of the materials cost. 

You absolutely have to know that if hi-end stereo had put that kind of effort into improving tone controls, they'd be so good you wouldn't want or need to bypass them. But you still could.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #12,245 of 149,317

E.g. pretty much every Kenwood or Marantz, Sansui or Sanyo, Denon or Technics. Like these. Heck, even McIntoshes and Quads, Nakamichis and Parasounds, Luxman and Harmon Kardons had them. Even the beloved Dynaco PAT-4 had them, and you can't get much more old skool than that.

All of this is for an integrated receiver or an integrated amp.  Schiit hasn't done integrated, nor is it the way to bet.

I think you might get a preamp/amp pair.  But the amp is going to be a box with a power switch.  Along with a headphone jack, maybe. :)

Admittedly, many of the brands I mentioned primarily made integrated receivers, but the PAT-4 I mentioned was a preamp, and many/most of the preamps of the time had EQ and balance controls. along with all sorts of things to customize your Phono input once moving coil was introduced.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #12,246 of 149,317

Oh, I totally agree. See Jason's stated preference for "one box, one function". I'm not expecting tone controls on a Schiit product, I was just riffing on the OPs desire for them.

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #12,249 of 149,317
Originally Posted by FrivolsListener /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a Schiit Integrated Amp, it's called Ragnarok, and it sounds excellent.

Jason has clearly stated he is designing and building a preamp/amp pair, and you are correct that the amp will likely only have a power switch (on the back), and likely a white LED so you know its on. The preamp will have a volume control, and hopefully a balance control. I doubt Jason will do tone controls, but I would not put anything past him. 

As a 2-channel user I am looking forward to the new gear, and am truly hoping I am moved to replace my Rag with the new gear. 

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #12,250 of 149,317
Count me in the more purist camp like yay101.

I'm hoping for a variety of amplifier options, in addition to the beefier 'moar power' designs, such as something a bit more modest to power my rear speakers, or for a bedroom system, and so on. (I think it'd be great to have a Vali 2 or Lyr 2 next to the bed, connected to a reasonably sized and performing power amp, which could drive something like the Salk WOW1s...) Sort of ditto for preamp options, options-wise, but I can see being content using their headphone amps as a preamp in some systems. Considering all the magic already in place in the current lineup with the DACs, all the amps, and whatever wizardry this Manhatten thing brings, perhaps the preamp category is being overlooked. I'm looking forward to the unveiling of their statement preamp as much as anything else.

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #12,251 of 149,317
Count me in the more purist camp like yay101.

I'm hoping for a variety of amplifier options, in addition to the beefier 'moar power' designs, such as something a bit more modest to power my rear speakers, or for a bedroom system, and so on. (I think it'd be great to have a Vali 2 or Lyr 2 next to the bed, connected to a reasonably sized and performing power amp, which could drive something like the Salk WOW1s...) Sort of ditto for preamp options, options-wise, but I can see being content using their headphone amps as a preamp in some systems. Considering all the magic already in place in the current lineup with the DACs, all the amps, and whatever wizardry this Manhatten thing brings, perhaps the preamp category is being overlooked. I'm looking forward to the unveiling of their statement preamp as much as anything else.

The Desktop Sized Power amp category is an interesting one. I use Centrance Masterclasse 2504's and the Options to drive them were slim unless I had a Full Sized amp on another Rack. I use a Magni2 U in the manner you described  as a Headphone amp and as a Speaker Pre amp. I also Use a Valhalla 2 as a Tube Preamp for my main 2 Channel setup. The Schiit Headphone amps do great Double duty in this realm.

This Then Brings up another thought. As we are talking about Amps and Pre Amps. Usually Preamps have an active Circuit. When I was in dreamland a while back wanting a schit preamp, I was thinking a Larger version of the sys. Really A way to switch multiple inputs, a centralized Volume control and possibly Multiple outputs. I wonder if we are to expect a Passive or an Active preamp. I do Enjoy Using the Valhalla2 as a Tube pre amp.Time to have my Morning Joe and do some soul searching.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #12,252 of 149,317
Hmmm...

Seems as Jason has kinda gone silent and left us to our own devices for awhile now.

Wonder whats up...

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #12,253 of 149,317
  Hmmm...

Seems as Jason has kinda gone silent and left us to our own devices for awhile now.

Wonder whats up...

I just wanna sleep right through to Saturday LOL, my trigger finger is so itchy, I hate sitting on money I have ready to be spent but now not only do I need to wait around for the Elear to release in Europe (here's hoping the September estimate is actually accurate) I also need to wait to see what the Schiitheads have coming up at the Show.

God damnit.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #12,255 of 149,317
Marketing genius at work. He's letting us salivate over the potential new 2 channel gear so well be ready to bite the moment it's announced. I should really buy better speakers but I find myself wanting the Schiit pre/amp instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back