Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 21, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #12,213 of 150,841
  With all that said, most recording studios still use analog EQ while tracking through analog equipment.  All of the negative things that hardware filters do on the sound reproduction side are part of the recording art, and the changes made by analog filters, phase shifts, noise, distortion, and all, are for the most part what makes recorded music sound the way it does.

So, yes, analog EQ is feasible, but it seems that the audiophile community avoids such things like the plague...  This is a Schiit thread;  Have you seen bass and treble controls on anything they have produced to date?  I've been thinking for a while that Schiit may be working on a phase coherent digital equalizer component....

Oh yes... I just wasn't thinking... quite apart from the stuff on playback equipment, and the cheapo unit EQ sliders that went Scrrrr even when they were new... I guess very, very many mics in studios and live sound venues get fed straight into mixers which are very much analogue. And, come to think of it, I have a little 4-channel Soundcraft mixer in the cupboard.

So it works both ways: the analogue freaks don't think about their LP sound having been digitally-processed, and the digital freaks don't think about their sound having been analogue processed.

Lucky man!
biggrin.gif

And a by the-the-way... there is some fascinating history from the guy who developed the early digital mixing desks in a digital-myth/fact Q&A on Gearslutz. Paul Frindle, Forgot the name until I looked for the link.

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #12,215 of 150,841
  Actually, I'd be really stoked to see bass and treble controls on the new pre-amp, along with a balance control. Do 'em digitally if you must, Jason (we know you have a knob phobia,
tongue.gif
) but give us control!

Why don't you guys just use a software DSP...

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #12,217 of 150,841
Aug 21, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #12,218 of 150,841
I'm both olde skool AND just plain old.  I don't want tone controls or EQ or balance or VU meters (please god no) or anything other than volume on a good sounding box.  Keep it simple and make it sound good that's all I ask. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #12,221 of 150,841
  I'm both olde skool AND just plain old.  I don't want tone controls or EQ or balance or VU meters (please god no) or anything other than volume on a good sounding box.  Keep it simple and make it sound good that's all I ask. 

Ditto.. Guess we have different definitions of old skool here.. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #12,222 of 150,841
As Schiit moves into the 2 channel realm balance and tonal control become far more important.

Unlike headphones where the listening area is constant regardless of user, the listening area of every room set up will be different.  To get the best sound some level balance and EQ control are almost required.

As with all things subjective. IMHO, YMMV yada yada yada...

Aug 21, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #12,223 of 150,841
  As Schiit moves into the 2 channel realm balance and tonal control become far more important.

Unlike headphones where the listening area is constant regardless of user, the listening area of every room set up will be different.  To get the best sound some level balance and EQ control are almost required.

As with all things subjective. IMHO, YMMV yada yada yada...

Yes, but Schiit may say, "someone else's problem.  We build the DAC and the amp.  You want knobs and sliders, put someone else's box between them."

Aug 21, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #12,224 of 150,841
Here I am, still hoping the Schiit Show announcement is not (exclusively) related to 2 channel speaker based audio. 
smily_headphones1.gif

In other news, I'm very eager to buy a Valhalla 2 but every time I look at pictures of the black chassis and compare it to the standard silver my heart aches. I'm okay with the silver on all of their other products but tubes on a dark device is just... I'd pay such good money for the MJ2 on my desk to be black right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back