Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 19, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #12,197 of 151,558
Neat. Though if I ever am able to afford a pair. Personally I'm thinking of an orange colour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like ... Lamborghini "Burnt Orange"?

I'm in ...

Fiancé will murder me in my sleep, but still ...

(My current speaker manufacturer offers "to match" finishes, so I'd probably go there first, but "piano black" was an easy sell to the lovely lady.)

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #12,201 of 151,558
Personally I'm thinking of an orange shade to the speakers. .

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's partial to orange. I didn't see anything in the Salk gallery of images similar to what I was thinking of, but found this:

Instead of quilted maple, I choose a bird's-eye maple. My cabinets are veneered, routed and sanded. Finishing is next.

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #12,202 of 151,558
  Just thought I'd share this pic here of the Salk Song3 produced for Schiit in their aluminum colour...

source: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=144988

Of course, Schiit wouldn't want speakers in black, piano or otherwise.

Actually, probably a good thing Schiit won't make speakers - no doubt they'd put the terminals on the front.

Those Salks do sound very nice. Wonder if they'll be at the Schiitschow - just a week away...

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #12,204 of 151,558
I love the fact that those Salk speakers seem to have followed Roy Allison's advice concerning woofer placement.  Nice work, Jim Salk!

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #12,207 of 151,558
  Is analog EQ technically feasible? 

That depends on your point of view.  Analog was the only way to do EQ until the digital age.  To implement an analog EQ you need filters, resistor-capacitor or inductor-capacitor or whatever, some potentiometers to control the cut/boost per frequency channel, and some gain to make up for the filter losses.  The down side is there is always phase shift in and about the bandpass of each filter, and all the extra electronics add noise and distortion, mostly in an inverse proportion to the amount of money you spend on the design and components.

Digital equalizers work in somewhat the same way, only the filters are implemented in computer code and executed on a digital signal processor.  Digital filters that mimic hardware filters are relatively easy to implement in software, but that type of filter has the same phase shifting as the hardware version.  Better software filters that maintain a constant phase through the bandp of the filter are much more complex to code, and require a LOT more compute power.

With all that said, most recording studios still use analog EQ while tracking through analog equipment.  All of the negative things that hardware filters do on the sound reproduction side are part of the recording art, and the changes made by analog filters, phase shifts, noise, distortion, and all, are for the most part what makes recorded music sound the way it does.

So, yes, analog EQ is feasible, but it seems that the audiophile community avoids such things like the plague...  This is a Schiit thread;  Have you seen bass and treble controls on anything they have produced to date?  I've been thinking for a while that Schiit may be working on a phase coherent digital equalizer component....

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #12,208 of 151,558
Aug 20, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #12,210 of 151,558
I ran sound back in the day and had rack of 1/3 octave equalizers that were used to tune the room we were playing.

God I am getting old...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back