Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 27, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #5,536 of 151,269

But based on the broad selection of a saturated market I can only conclude that I'm unable to use google, because I can't find anything like a Schiit-equivalent affordable decent home stereo single-purpose ADC.

I would be happy if you could prove me wrong.

here you go.  Priced in the Yggy range.

http://ayre.com/qa9.htm

Beautiful! That is truly a lovely piece that I wasn't previously aware of. Thanks.

But... it uses XLR connections and I don't have any balanced gear :frowning2:

Also, I'm hoping for something priced more like a Bifrost range rather than the Yggdrasil. Are you aware of anything out there in that range?

[Sidebar:]

I found this in the Ayre's owner's manual:

As virtually all computers use switch-mode power supplies that introduce unwanted RFI on the AC power line, it may be beneficial to use an AC power line filter for the computer and its accessories (e.g., display monitor), many of which also utilize switch-mode power supplies.

Perhaps that explains some of the success of the Wyrd's functionality.

Plus...

[Sidebar 2:]

For those in favour of a break-in period for their electronics (also from the owner's manual): 

Break-In

Due to the manufacturing processes used for the printed circuit boards, wires, and capacitors, a break-in period is necessary for the QA-9 A/D converter to reach its full performance potential.

100 to 500 hours of music played through the system will ensure full break-in.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #5,537 of 151,269
Can't do anything for you about the price of the QA-9, but used models do come up for sale from time to time.  XLR to RCA adapters are easy to come by

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/RCA-to-XLR-Cables/ci/4201/N/4028759261

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #5,538 of 151,269
Sorry to hear about your accident.  Go take care of yourself.

Helmet laws are paternalistic, but your friend.

Tho loopy's not necessarily bad; it just tends to set off schiitstorms.

Hope you're feeling better Dog!

Get well soon, not the same without you...

I'd be more concerned of what I might have said to the 'lil woman. Put your feet up and get better.

@reddog - take care of your head!

Reddog Man get well soon Insha'Allah God Willing, and make sure you take it easy even minor head injuries need care

Hey Reddog I hope you feel better, I always enjoy your posts and admire how you ignore people baiting you and respond politely :)

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Please take care. Will speak to everyone later on, Will go lay down and listen to some old Pink Floyd.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #5,539 of 151,269
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Please take care. Will speak to everyone later on, Will go lay down and listen to some old Pink Floyd.

-Now, if the Pink Floyd is of a sufficient vintage, it will _really_ mess with your head. Especially if your album du jour happens to be the stereo mix of Piper at the Gates of Dawn... :)

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #5,541 of 151,269

Beautiful! That is truly a lovely piece that I wasn't previously aware of. Thanks.

But... it uses XLR connections and I don't have any balanced gear :frowning2:

Also, I'm hoping for something priced more like a Bifrost range rather than the Yggdrasil. Are you aware of anything out there in that range?

[Sidebar:]

I found this in the Ayre's owner's manual:

Perhaps that explains some of the success of the Wyrd's functionality.

Plus...

[Sidebar 2:]

For those in favour of a break-in period for their electronics (also from the owner's manual): 

Interconnecting between balanced and unbalanced equipment is fairly trivial. I can see that the market for an unbalanced A to D convertor/ audio interface is fairly limited. In most cases people are feeding them with a mixer or microphones. Many of these interfaces have unbalanced settings you just need the correct cable. Often it can be as simple as a RCA on on end and mono 1/4" on the other.

Markertek should be able to provide any cable you need

Apogee
Has one in the $599 range that is small and looks attractive as well. 

Avid mbox doesn't sound bad at $299 it comes with a light version of protools which you may or may not need, it is limited to a 48kHz sampling rate.

Dirt cheap is Behringer U-Phoria UMC202 about $99. Some of the Behringer stuff sounds pretty good for the price. They claim it has Midas preamps (more likely Midas designed)   I would take it  over anything from MOTU or PreSonus.

Focusrite ones could be good as well.

In all cases make sure you do not turn on the 48 volt phantom power, which is used to power condenser microphones. Most equipment gets very unhappy when it is sent 48 volts to it's output. Hopefully all it is is designed that 48 volts is never sent out of the 1/4 inputs but without a schematic it is had to tell.

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #5,542 of 151,269
  here you go.  Priced in the Yggy range.

http://ayre.com/qa9.htm

I'm not an electrical engineer but I really doubt it gives Yggy level performance judging by the internals:

Here's the Schiit Bifrost by way of comparison:

A lot of overpriced kit out there, if you're looking for a well engineered product which is well priced Bryston are usually a good bet. Their BDA-2 DAC for instance is well regarded and about the same price as Yggy.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #5,544 of 151,269
Guys, Jason doesn't do comparisons with competitors, so can I suggest that this discussion would be better suited for elsewhere?

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #5,546 of 151,269

Of course we fix out of warranty gear, usually for a very nominal fee. Just contact us if you have problems.

You mean something actually broke? Say it isn't so!
eek.gif

Seriously, the longest-lived piece of audio gear I've ever owned was a Kenwood UL-Sample amplifier, purchased at an employee-only sale in the early 80's. I finally tossed it after about 30 years, because the volume pot was too scratchy and the switches didn't work. I probably could have fixed it, but wasn't interested in trying.

From what I've seen, I will indeed be able to pass my Schiit gear on to my kids. I am betting it'll outlast the Kenwood gear...

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #5,548 of 151,269
Latest part of the story is legit. I've been telling all sorts of people about the benefit of high quality audio without trying to be overly nerdy about it, and with a name like Schiit, I've had quite a few people ask what it was all about. I have an admiration for companies that make products often seen as expensive for significantly less than you could ever think. Companies like Emotiva, Schiit, Magnepan, Grado, make hi-fi audio totally affordable for the masses, even when the majority of their income could be off multi thousand dollar flagships aimed at the ultra rich. Instead of making the business decision, these companies strive to do their best by making products that don't break the bank and still compete with things twice or more the price. Hats off to you masters of budgeting, I'm always willing to go out of my way to talk about your products to inquisitive people. Budget-Fi rules

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #5,549 of 151,269
Originally Posted by Pirakaphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Companies like Emotiva, Schiit, Magnepan, Grado, make hi-fi audio totally affordable for the masses,

Grado RA1, 50¢ IC in a block of wood for $350 
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back