Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 26, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #5,521 of 151,801
I was procrastinating on TedTalks and came across this which I think is relevant to the Schiit story:
http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action/transcript?language=en

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5,522 of 151,801
  There was a bit of speculation about a possible ADC a number of months ago, but Jason didn't feel that there was anything to add in a very saturated market.

Whoa! ADC a saturated market!? Where can I find these products that are so plentiful on the ground that they get your feet wet?

For me, trying to find an ADC for home use (as opposed to professional) it seems like there's about six out there - ranging in price from a digital swiss army knife for $30 up into the kilobuck range.

Honestly, I'd like to know that I have more choices than the iMic or Behringer 202 at one end or the Antelope at the other. Please, where can I find this saturated market?

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #5,524 of 151,801

Whoa! ADC a saturated market!? Where can I find these products that are so plentiful on the ground that they get your feet wet?

For me, trying to find an ADC for home use (as opposed to professional) it seems like there's about six out there - ranging in price from a digital swiss army knife for $30 up into the kilobuck range.

Honestly, I'd like to know that I have more choices than the iMic or Behringer 202 at one end or the Antelope at the other. Please, where can I find this saturated market?

Thanks!

Here's another.
http://us.focusrite.com/

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #5,525 of 151,801

Thanks!

Focusrite
M-Audio
Roland
MOTU
RME
Apogee
Echo
Apollo
etc.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #5,526 of 151,801

Thanks!

Focusrite
M-Audio
Roland
MOTU
RME
Apogee
Echo
Apollo
etc.

Nice list of professional gear (a giveaway being that they use 1/4" TRS or Neutrik connectors). As mentioned, however, I'm not looking for pro gear. I'm looking for something that fits in with my stack (Schiit or otherwise) and uses the same connectors as everything else (single-ended RCA). I also expect USB output rather than BNC. Oh, and stereo, not multichannel.

E.g.:
Musical Fidelity M1 - US$1,000
Furutech GT40 - GB£400 (discontinued)
Wadax Pre-1 - US$32,500
ADL Esprit€960
etc...

Most of these are combo pre-amp/DAC/ADC/Headphone amp etc. do-it-all replacements for your existing stereo. Sadly I am not in the $32k market (that's more than the down payment on my house!) and if I was I'd have "people" to do my shopping for me. I just want to add some functionality to the rig I already own and like (and yes, there's some Schiit in that rig).

vs.
Griffin iMic - $40
Behringer UCA202 - $30

Which are low-spec (Griffin doesn't even provide specs!) 16/44/48 ADC/DACs. The Behringer is the Swiss Army knife of the bunch, offering USB->TOSlink conversion and a headphone amp as well.

Surely there's a selection (saturated!) of mid-price, decent performing, one trick ADC stereo 24/96 converters out there for home use.

Um... no.

Now Jason has flat out stated he's not interested in building an ADC (somewhere back 100-200 pages ago) and that's fine. His reasoning is that he doesn't see the market, and that's fine too. Clearly me and my turntable are niche, and I like it that way. That's why I hang out on head-fi and not the best-buy forums.

But based on the broad selection of a saturated market I can only conclude that I'm unable to use google, because I can't find anything like a Schiit-equivalent affordable decent home stereo single-purpose ADC.

I would be happy if you could prove me wrong.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #5,527 of 151,801
So, what is an ADC again?  And why are you guys arguing over it?

Oh forgot to add that is a rhetorical question not meant to be answered...
deadhorse.gif

Hey Jason,

When's the next installment? the natives are getting restless...
blink.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #5,528 of 151,801

But based on the broad selection of a saturated market...

The market for a stand alone non-pro ADC probably is "saturated" because it is so small.
Most people probably couldn't be bothered and get their music in digital form.
People who can be bothered get a sound card, internal or external (or onboard) and regard the added DAC functionality as useful (I use Xonar Essence STX and manage to suffer the added overhead of DAC and DSP without too much pain).

edit. You don't say what kind of performance or price range you are looking for.

I call again for Vali Uber.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #5,530 of 151,801

Nice list of professional gear (a giveaway being that they use 1/4" TRS or Neutrik connectors). As mentioned, however, I'm not looking for pro gear. I'm looking for something that fits in with my stack (Schiit or otherwise) and uses the same connectors as everything else (single-ended RCA). I also expect USB output rather than BNC. Oh, and stereo, not multichannel.

Do you have something against "professional"? Most of those brands I listed have usb desktop sized options in the $200-400 range. Stereo is simply multichannel limited to two. So they don't have RCA input? *shrug* just slap an easy RCA/TRS adapter on there.

But hey, here are some with RCA inputs...
Numark Stereo I/O
Roland Tricapture
Novation Audiohub
SPL Crimson

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #5,531 of 151,801
I realized today while loaning an M/M Uber Stack with a sys and vali to a buddy for the day to evaluate and A/B both the Magni 2 Uber and the Vali that I Own A LOT of Schiit. Unless there are things Hiding somewhere I have 10 pieces of schitt in my pile. . Ranging from Modi 2 Ubers, A Valhalla, Wyrds , a Fulla.......

While I read the threads awaiting the release of new Schiit i dread the day!!! I think i may need therapy. Until I discovered Schiit it was very hard to buy new products of this caliber and for a very affordable price.
I am ridding myself of all my old second hand audio gear and replacing it with mostly schiit. The preamp function of the Valhalla and Magni 2 Uber allows me to plug right in to power amps or monitors and they both blow the socks off the older Harman and NAD. gear.

My buddy has a Magni 2 Uber on the way, with plans for a Modi 2 Uber  to complete the M/M Uber stackand said he may have to get a Vali. he is is the camp of dreams for Vali 2 or Vali Uber as well. Something about hoping the possible Vali Uber having matching covers to the M/M's and possibly a preamp out too. I personally don't want to see this because I will have to place another order .Music has not been this enjoyable for a while. I sit in my living room and grin every time I hear the Modi 2 uber /valhalla combo In action with my 2.1 setup. Then after a few glasses of bourbon, I start wondering what A bifrost Uber will sound like. Thats when its time to go to bed.  Great Job guys I am really enjoying all of my Schiit products and I have had the pleasure of dealing with your team recently. The Customer service is top notch.

Damn I forgot to add up the sys cables in my pile of Schiit.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #5,532 of 151,801

E.g.:
Musical Fidelity M1 - US$1,000
Furutech GT40 - GB£400 (discontinued)
Wadax Pre-1 - US$32,500
ADL Esprit€960
etc...

Most of these are combo pre-amp/DAC/ADC/Headphone amp etc. do-it-all replacements for your existing stereo. Sadly I am not in the $32k market (that's more than the down payment on my house!) and if I was I'd have "people" to do my shopping for me. I just want to add some functionality to the rig I already own and like (and yes, there's some Schiit in that rig).

vs.
Griffin iMic - $40
Behringer UCA202 - $30

Which are low-spec (Griffin doesn't even provide specs!) 16/44/48 ADC/DACs. The Behringer is the Swiss Army knife of the bunch, offering USB->TOSlink conversion and a headphone amp as well.

Surely there's a selection (saturated!) of mid-price, decent performing, one trick ADC stereo 24/96 converters out there for home use.

Um... no.

Now Jason has flat out stated he's not interested in building an ADC (somewhere back 100-200 pages ago) and that's fine. His reasoning is that he doesn't see the market, and that's fine too. Clearly me and my turntable are niche, and I like it that way. That's why I hang out on head-fi and not the best-buy forums.

But based on the broad selection of a saturated market I can only conclude that I'm unable to use google, because I can't find anything like a Schiit-equivalent affordable decent home stereo single-purpose ADC.

I would be happy if you could prove me wrong.

here you go.  Priced in the Yggy range.

http://ayre.com/qa9.htm

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #5,535 of 151,801
Hey Reddog I hope you feel better, I always enjoy your posts and admire how you ignore people baiting you and respond politely :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back