Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 24, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #5,506 of 152,711

Thanks for the info - I’ll have to search around for some compatible plug-ins - all of my listening is on my laptop.  I wouldn’t use the cross feed for modern recordings, the only time would be when listening to hard-panned, older recordings - I find that type of older material unlistenable with headphones... 

I was also thinking - wouldn’t it be ok if there was an amplifier with L/R panning controls for each channel?  It doesn’t take much L/R adjustment to relieve the super-stereo fatigue.  This way there is no processing circuitry for the cross feed effect... 

The old-school hard panned stereo is challenging to listen to on headphones.  If you're using Windows there is Foobar, JRiver Media Center, PonoMusic World and a few others that can use VST plug-ins.  You can search the forum here for some crossfeed VST plug-ins to try.  Some are free.  Some are not.

Some freeware stereo processing VSTs that will be helpful are
Stereo Tools by Kelly Industries
Flux Stereo Tool
Both will allow for panning the stereo field and doing other adjustments to the left and right stereo channels or summing to mono.  They aren't crossfeed processors.  They will be very helpful in getting hard panned stereo to be easier to listen to on headphones.

A problem with doing this sort of processing in an amp is that circuits to do this would degrade the sound and cost money to implement.  Plug-ins will be much more flexible and have more tweekable features than what is reasonably possible on an amp.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #5,507 of 152,711
Kudos to Jason and Schiit for getting so much of all this audio stuff right, out of the box, so to speak.  When I first heard about Schiit some years ago, I chuckled and filed it away as a pretty clever marketing trick.  After reading so much good press, and wanting to try out a highly-reviewed, yet inexpensive product, I finally bought a Gungnir a week or so ago.  Gotta say, I'm highly impressed - to the extent I'm now closely monitoring this thread for news of the impending release of the new Yggy.  There's really a lot to like about this company, but just to name a few things:  they are down-to-Earth about things - their equipment looks really nice but there's no obvious gratuitous expenditure to make it look "high-end."  The money is spent where it will count for the end user.  I like that.  They are also apparently folks who have a genuine appreciation for how music is supposed to sound - something that hasn't really been much in evidence in the hobby lately, maybe not since the early days of TAS.  Lastly, they offer genuine value.  I'm so tired of "high end" stuff that is seemingly defined by that old axiom "the more you pay, the more it's worth."  At this point, I fully expect the Yggy will outperform most anything else at any price, just from the initial press and my faith in their philosophy and business model.  

One thing more.  When people mention taking time to "burn in" equipment I have in the past kind of laughed into my sleeve about it.  But the Gungni.   It's really, truly amazing to me how this DAC has improved over the last several days.  I have been leaving it on overnight, playing the NAS library into a muted preamp, and am probably up to about 80 hours total burn in now.  It's truly amazing how this DAC has hit its stride in the last day or so.  Never again will I doubt the advice to avoid judging a new component before it has had a chance to settle in, so to speak.  Let's just say the Gungnir is very impressive, at this point, so I can only imagine what the Yggy will be like.

Keep this Schiit up.  

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #5,508 of 152,711
  Hello Jason,

I understand how tubes works in my Guitar and Bass amps, like what tubes to use for faster breakup or for less break up or what I like better with class A vs. A/B.
How if any of that translates over to the TUBE world for Headphones?

Thanks,
Maxifunk

You may want distortion in a guitar amp such that it sounds a certain way, hence tubes or a simulation. I don't want any clipping, soft or otherwise when I'm playing back recorded music. I don't want any distortion, at least not at a level that I can perceive. How about you?

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #5,509 of 152,711

The old-school hard panned stereo is challenging to listen to on headphones.  If you're using Windows there is Foobar, JRiver Media Center, PonoMusic World and a few others that can use VST plug-ins.  You can search the forum here for some crossfeed VST plug-ins to try.  Some are free.  Some are not.

Some freeware stereo processing VSTs that will be helpful are
Stereo Tools by Kelly Industries
Flux Stereo Tool
Both will allow for panning the stereo field and doing other adjustments to the left and right stereo channels or summing to mono.  They aren't crossfeed processors.  They will be very helpful in getting hard panned stereo to be easier to listen to on headphones.

A problem with doing this sort of processing in an amp is that circuits to do this would degrade the sound and cost money to implement.  Plug-ins will be much more flexible and have more tweekable features than what is reasonably possible on an amp.

Ok thanks for the info!

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #5,510 of 152,711
  Finally, don't forget why you are playing in this sandbox: love and feel your music and have fun.

Just want to expand on the fun part and suggest that people expand their music horizons: which is easier than ever with todays music streaming services . By this I mean give other genres a chance and don't shoebox yourself to only listening to the same music over and over again. I may not be the biggest fan of country or metal, but I don't outright dismiss or refuse to listen to anything in that genre. Just to give an example I probably listen to about 150-250+ "new" tracks a month and even though I'll probably never listen to 95% of them again I am glad I took the time to give some new music a chance to pleasure my eardrums.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #5,512 of 152,711
  You may want distortion in a guitar amp such that it sounds a certain way, hence tubes or a simulation. I don't want any clipping, soft or otherwise when I'm playing back recorded music. I don't want any distortion, at least not at a level that I can perceive. How about you?

No distortion at all but with varying preamp tubes you can claim that way down in a guitar/bass amp. 12ax7 swapped for 12ux7 in the preamp phase in a amp. audio listening I am not sure how its its done.

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #5,513 of 152,711
  No distortion at all but with varying preamp tubes you can claim that way down in a guitar/bass amp. 12ax7 swapped for 12ux7 in the preamp phase in a amp. audio listening I am not sure how its its done.

Previously you discussed break up, which to me is distortion. If not that, please explain what you mean by "break up,"

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #5,515 of 152,711
Hi all sorry all, I have not been on, I received a major concussion last Saturday evening, and do not remember much of anything, until this morning. I now know I cancelled most of my online memberships and have acted very loopy. Must go back and lie down, promised doc and home nurse, I will do nothing but rest. But sorry if I have written anything that was rude or completely loopy.

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #5,518 of 152,711
Hi all sorry all, I have not been on, I received a major concussion last Saturday evening, and do not remember much of anything, until this morning. I now know I cancelled most of my online memberships and have acted very loopy. Must go back and lie down, promised doc and home nurse, I will do nothing but rest. But sorry if I have written anything that was rude or completely loopy.

Hope you're feeling better Dog!

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #5,519 of 152,711

Get well soon, not the same without you...

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #5,520 of 152,711

I'd be more concerned of what I might have said to the 'lil woman. Put your feet up and get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back