Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 24, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #5,491 of 153,435

You can do crossfeed digitally as a VST plug-in.  That's the best place for it, assuming you're doing computer as source for playback.  It has no proper place in an audiophile amp.  Crossfeed could conceivably be added to a DAC as an optional filter setting.  I don't know if Schiit would consider that a wise idea or not.  My view on crossfeed is that it's a crutch for underperforming amps (underperforming in the audiophile sense).  If an amp has a bit of set-back soundstage to it and an open and expansive and a bit of 3D soundstage then there is no need for crossfeed.  And given an amp like that I'd consider crossfeed to be a hindrance rather than a benefit.  An amp like the Ragnarok does not need a crossfeed feature and really good tube amps don't need crossfeed.

(now if Schiit's next big unexpected product is a fancy digital crossfeed and surround sound processor I'm going to be feeling embarrassed and will have to eat some humble pie)

Thanks for the info - I’ll have to search around for some compatible plug-ins - all of my listening is on my laptop.  I wouldn’t use the cross feed for modern recordings, the only time would be when listening to hard-panned, older recordings - I find that type of older material unlistenable with headphones... 

I was also thinking - wouldn’t it be ok if there was an amplifier with L/R panning controls for each channel?  It doesn’t take much L/R adjustment to relieve the super-stereo fatigue.  This way there is no processing circuitry for the cross feed effect... 

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #5,493 of 153,435
Hey guys, Jason has asked twice now to quit with the specs/measurements crap. .. Let's respect his request and get back to the Schiit story...please

Yes, let's. @Jason Stoddard can you tell us if Schiit may consider making other audio related gear besides DACs and amps such as maybe headphones or speakers? I have a vague idea that those are worlds different from DAC/amps, especially in terms of production, but maybe in the future? Just curious. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #5,494 of 153,435
Maybe Schiit will make test equipment so we can make our own measurements to argue about. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #5,495 of 153,435
  Maybe Schiit will make test equipment so we can make our own measurements to argue about. 
rolleyes.gif

And................it will have a power switch on the back!!

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #5,496 of 153,435
Speaking of which, does schitt have any official dealers or distributors in Singapore? Wish to demo the Ragnarok and hopefully the Yggdrasil.

Also warranty returns for international customers is quite expensive and time consuming task.

Here you go, from the schiit website. http://schiit.com/faq/international

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #5,497 of 153,435
Guys, please respect Jason's request and move on, as I don't want to have to reinforce his request by locking people out of the thread. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #5,498 of 153,435
Currawong,

Thank you for that.

To be clear, I don't want to quash all discussion of specs, it's just that specs are a relatively minor part of the whole "audio thing," especially when taking into account the different ways people measure things.

Also, using pricey test gear, like our Stanfords or Audio Precision devices, is not exactly a "plug and go," or "set and forget" kind of thing. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten weird results, then noticed an input cable running alongside an AC cord, or having the grounding wrong, etc.

Specs are useful in discerning gross problems with gear. Someone who understands specs would be rightfully concerned about measurements like 76dB S/N relative to 1V output if they're running sensitive headphones. Someone who understands specs even better will squint a bit and look askance at three-digit crosstalk numbers, and wonder what frequency they're done at, or if they're talking about the XLR output only, etc. Someone with experience in electronic design will look at a DAC chip that has 132dB S/N specs and know that doesn't mean that they'll be seeing 132dB at the output.

The problem comes when someone simply compares datasheet numbers with no context. That's when it turns into a holy war about stuff that probably isn't audible, and turns threads into billion-page nightmares of accusation and recrimination. That's why I felt it necessary to step in...especially as it appeared to be turning into a "Schiit vs other manufacturer" discussion. This isn't our place, sorry. 

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 24, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #5,501 of 153,435
  I'm hoping to discover a DAC that loves music as much as my Koetsu Phono Cartridges did ( back in the day - 1980s ), maybe you can help me with that.  

Thanks for trying,

Tony in Michigan

I'm with you on that. I still have a Koetsu Red on a Linn Sondek, both recently refurbished. (and VTL tube amps)
There was/is a beauty/rightness about the sound.
But,
I now have them in a room that is too cluttered/small for any decent bass and my wife has different musical tastes...
and my enjoyment of music is not improved by hearing "that's too loud".
So, since all of my analogue equipment now sells for significant prices I may get the ultimate Schiit tower (Rag&Yg) with a good set of cans.
Spousal approval rating goes up (its not all black & she cannot hear it (much - open backed after all)) and will fit into the environment better.
Can also sell the vinyl too. 

As for not having a remote. Don't care. They ruin your attention span.
They are great for TV's - can mute during the Ads or change channels during them. But music, I want to listen to a whole album/CD/Playlist.
The trouble with a remote is if a song does not grab you first up, you press "next". They make you impatient.
Sometimes, but not always, favourite songs from albums are not the most immediate attention grabbers.
Cheers.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #5,502 of 153,435
Alright instead of talking about specs/measurements and other electrical noise, we should just talk about the upcoming Yggdrasil. 

Does it run better with Wyrd in the chain? Or does it comes with Wyrd-inside?
How much power does it consume?
Can we run it 24x7?

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #5,504 of 153,435
  Yes, let's. @Jason Stoddard can you tell us if Schiit may consider making other audio related gear besides DACs and amps such as maybe headphones or speakers? I have a vague idea that those are worlds different from DAC/amps, especially in terms of production, but maybe in the future? Just curious. 

Jason talked about it and the main take-away from that discussion was speakers and headphones, if they were ever to happen, would be in the distant future. They don't have any experience with that stuff, they'd have to find that talent somewhere. There was a bit of speculation about a possible ADC a number of months ago, but Jason didn't feel that there was anything to add in a very saturated market.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #5,505 of 153,435
Hello Jason,

I understand how tubes works in my Guitar and Bass amps, like what tubes to use for faster breakup or for less break up or what I like better with class A vs. A/B.
How if any of that translates over to the TUBE world for Headphones?

Thanks,
Maxifunk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back