Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 4, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5,566 of 151,818
Switch-gate continues....:confused_face:

The utter horror will never cease. I am still to loopy to have a rational opinion. Will just go listen to Zappa's You are what you is . Lol

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #5,568 of 151,818

Mr.BearFNF,

"Switch-Gate",

Jason brought it up!;  Schiit keeps the Switch thing "in play" and it's kinda fun, in a "Way-Minor", quirky, sort of way.  No worries!

Besides,

Do you remember the 1970s thru the mid-1980s when Linn in Scotland introduced the Turntable-Gate?, that was a Way-major series of controversies about "Front End" importance vs. Loudspeaker importance.  That was a "gate" people sunk their teeth into and bit hard.    

Hobby Audio, Audiophile Audio is loaded with Neurotic stuff like this.  I and my business partners used to think of Audiophiles as the Lunatic Fringe: a name that still applies to this day: Audiophiles will remove the loudspeaker Grill Clothes for audible reasons that any normal person would scratch their head over, Plus the Tip-toe crowd, on and on they pursue strange things.  Go-figure!!!

Tony in Michigan

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #5,569 of 151,818
If it were my call I'd build something and put a switch on the front........................I just wouldn't connect it to anything.

I'd call it.................. Whathe Schiit.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #5,570 of 151,818

Mr.BearFNF,

"Switch-Gate",

Jason brought it up!;  Schiit keeps the Switch thing "in play" and it's kinda fun, in a "Way-Minor", quirky, sort of way.  No worries!

Besides,

Do you remember the 1970s thru the mid-1980s when Linn in Scotland introduced the Turntable-Gate?, that was a Way-major series of controversies about "Front End" importance vs. Loudspeaker importance.  That was a "gate" people sunk their teeth into and bit hard.    

Hobby Audio, Audiophile Audio is loaded with Neurotic stuff like this.  I and my business partners used to think of Audiophiles as the Lunatic Fringe: a name that still applies to this day: Audiophiles will remove the loudspeaker Grill Clothes for audible reasons that any normal person would scratch their head over, Plus the Tip-toe crowd, on and on they pursue strange things.  Go-figure!!!

Tony in Michigan

Heh, I watched my uncle go through that time, I was too young to worry about it, though. I just got dragged around to different "listening rooms" to watch him audition components. Oh and I had to pass a "test" before I could touch the B&O turntable and how to turn the system on in the right order etc... The planar speakers he had were something else, though.

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #5,575 of 151,818

WhattheSchiit.  I love it!

I plug everthing into a single power strip and turn it on and off so I could care less where the put the switch.  That said they have 4 good reasons for leaving it alone now that's it's there: 1) changeover costs which might not be insignificant since the assembly process will get more complicated--with the switch on the board mounted to the steel plate that slides into the aluminum shell nothing needs to be connected to the front panel of the shell so it's easy to slide the guts into the shell (duh), 2) the transformer is in the way, 3) it might introduce AC noise if the power came past all those oh-so sensitive circuits, and 4) it would knock the s**t out of the continuing discussion of the placement of the switch.  It really is clever of them to keep this ball in play.

Jason: thanks for another great diary post.  Could you knock off all the Schiit with running this company and just write for us?  I always really enjoy your essays. 

EDIT: yes I know the switch could still be mounted to the board and just protrude thru the shell but it would not be the best way to do that.

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #5,576 of 151,818
Switch is some kind of cursed word lol.  TBH feel kind of guilty for my contribution.  I think this issue has been more than adequately covered and we should be satisfied that this is not some kind of oversight and hopefully move on...

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #5,579 of 151,818
  Heck with switches and all that... I wanna be Bill... just listening to the music and nobody disturbs him..

In another life I had that job. I wore out many a pair of HD 414s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back